MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Italian Superbikes

Anyone know the story on why they closed? Anyone know whos going to take Aprilia dealership in Houston?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top 10 Superbikes for under £5,000 NewsBot Racing News 0 10-23-2013 08:40 AM
Italian politics Grinchy Off Topic 3 01-21-2011 10:24 AM
Italian Cop Car fulanito Off Topic 12 07-01-2008 12:38 PM
Fra-gee-lay...must be italian... Chris24 Off Topic 8 11-11-2006 10:27 PM
Some Italian Motogp05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 08-22-2006 06:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Low sales from what I hear.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

The motorcycle industry is in trouble. All new bike sales are down here in the US. , the whole motorcycle industry in general here is different from what it once was even a few years ago.

Iím not overly surprised IS closed. Italian bikes are more popular and much better than they were 10-20 years ago, but it is still a nitch market and A hard sell.

Looking how dead some of the other dealers are too, I would bet 2 to 3 more closing before the year is over.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
The motorcycle industry is in trouble. All new bike sales are down here in the US. , the whole motorcycle industry in general here is different from what it once was even a few years ago.

Iím not overly surprised IS closed. Italian bikes are more popular and much better than they were 10-20 years ago, but it is still a nitch market and A hard sell.

Looking how dead some of the other dealers are too, I would bet 2 to 3 more closing before the year is over.
Expensive bike sales are way down. Sport bikes keep getting more and more expensive with all the added tech. Dirt bikes are twice as expensive as they were 10 years ago. Millennials and new riders these days like less expensive bikes.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Expensive bike sales are way down. Sport bikes keep getting more and more expensive with all the added tech. Dirt bikes are twice as expensive as they were 10 years ago. Millennials and new riders these days like less expensive bikes.
Not to mention even prices on used bikes are through the roof. I remember when you could pick up 50s and other trail bikes all day long for between 500-1000 bucks. Not anymore
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Kenneth
AKA Giraffapus, AKA 675R

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018
Triumph Street Triple R 2015 (Sold)
Yamaha FZ6R 2015 (Sold fast)
Suzuki Katana 750 1990 (Sold)
Honda Twinstar 200 1980 (Sold)

Your not the only one out of luck. There are others searching for a reasonable option. As far as I can tell the nearest authorized service is in Austin, AF1. I am not excited to be taking my Tuono there for a valve check (its a bit overdue right now) and even less so for the coming valve adjustment. I guess I'm going to have to get a hotel in Austin and wait.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffapus View Post
Your not the only one out of luck. There are others searching for a reasonable option. As far as I can tell the nearest authorized service is in Austin, AF1. I am not excited to be taking my Tuono there for a valve check (its a bit overdue right now) and even less so for the coming valve adjustment. I guess I'm going to have to get a hotel in Austin and wait.
Im taking mine there on feb. 15th for the same thing. I dont think its done in 1 day but im not sure. Im going to drop mine off the day before.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
HaywoodJablomi
Teh Angry Asian

Bike(s):
2006 zx10r The main bike
2013 zx14r The beast mode bike
2007 zx6r The under construction bike

Not surprising its closing down. And I agree with the fact more will be closing down. Bike prices these days are insane. Most people cant afford to spend 15 20k on a toy. I had the option of buying a new bike last year and opted to buy several used bikes instead and finance a new truck. And italian bikes themselves are a super niche market. At least I think so.
HaywoodJablomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post

This should be Pasadena kawasaki last week in business as well
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Kenneth
AKA Giraffapus, AKA 675R

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaywoodJablomi View Post
Not surprising its closing down. And I agree with the fact more will be closing down. Bike prices these days are insane. Most people cant afford to spend 15 20k on a toy. I had the option of buying a new bike last year and opted to buy several used bikes instead and finance a new truck. And italian bikes themselves are a super niche market. At least I think so.
I totally agree with that statement but just for the record, Houstonians have one for the largest percentages of disposable income in the nation. I'm not sure its true today but only a few years back we had more "millionaires" than any other city in the U.S. (by that I mean the most people who had at least 1 million in assets." Age is often a corollary with wealth of course so that doesn't really effect the lack of young customers entering the sport or buying new bikes. Of the time I spent at Italian Superbikes, all the customers saw were over thirty and the great majority were over 45.

Last edited by Kenneth; 01-31-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffapus View Post
I totally agree with that statement but just for the record, Houstonians have one for the largest percentages of disposable income in the nation. I'm not sure its true today but only a few years back we had more "millionaires" than any other city in the U.S. (by that I mean the most people who had at least 1 million in assets." Age is often a corollary with wealth of course so that doesn't really effect the lack of young customers entering the sport or buying new bikes. Of the time I spent at Italian Superbikes, all the customers saw were over thirty and the great majority were over 45.
Definitely an older crowd there. Bobby, the original owner, made a good move to get out when he could.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #12
DaveF

Using Austin for service seems like a reach. Not sure what I'll do for my RSV4, but I'm hoping that there is a chance that AF-1 runs a truck to Houston every once in a while. Or something else, but I can't see me hauling the bike to Austin.
DaveF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
Kenneth
AKA Giraffapus, AKA 675R

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Using Austin for service seems like a reach. Not sure what I'll do for my RSV4, but I'm hoping that there is a chance that AF-1 runs a truck to Houston every once in a while. Or something else, but I can't see me hauling the bike to Austin.
I hear you but when itís timd for a valve adjustment, canít exactly ignore them. A pickup service would be awesome and I know Brian (Italian Superbikes owner) reaches out to them about it but I havenít heard any good news on that front yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
02 YW50AP

AF1 are the real deal. I think you lot will be happy
CMRA#59
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

A mini and Grom only dealer would make a killing.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #16
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
A mini and Grom only dealer would make a killing.
With decent prices used groms. Not 100 dollars less than msrp
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
AF1 are the real deal. I think you lot will be happy
AF1 is probably one of the best Aprilia shops in the US. Lot of people in other states ship their bikes to them for work. I bought a new Aprilia from them back in 2009 and it was a great experience. You don't have to wait for most parts to be delivered because they also have a large retail operation. When I bought my bike there they laid about six different exhausts out on a table for me to choose from. Also added some carbon fiber parts and they had both OEM and a couple aftermarkets options. Installed everything for free in about an hour and off I went.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #18
bkkawazx9r

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
Whatever is around at the time.

Italian Superbikes closed due to the lack of profitability in the market. Bike sales are down 12-15% nationally on Superbikes (750cc and above) but the bigger problem for us was the fact that Piaggio, the parent company for Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, has a glut of both Marques in the US. There is a years worth of Aprilias and Moto Guzzis in the market place plus more in there warehouses. Somehow, dealers in remote places are able to sell new Aprilias at vastly under MSRP, eg. 2017 RSV4RF $16,999 vs $23,999. Small dealers cant compete. Moto Guzzis aren't selling. Piaggio also ties Aprilia with Moto Guzzi. RPM Cycles in Dallas asked to cancel the Moto Guzzi franchise and were told that Aprilia would go with it. They got rid of both. Now RPM is gone leaving AF1 as the only Aprilia dealer in Texas. Piaggio are going to find it difficult to sign new dealers due to there business practices.
AF1 have there own problems. They are taking on more niche marques in order to diversify. They do have their parts business which is their backbone. I have asked the owner to put on a truck to pick up bikes in Houston at least twice per month. They are considering it. They also have a 4 week backlog of service due to the loss of their main technician for Aprilia and Ducati. They have not been able to find a replacement. There are no technicians out there that have the experience to work on the Italian Marques. Those that have the skills are jealously guarded by their employers. That is the real threat to our industry. Also, purchasing from online retailers both in the US and Europe has hurt your dealer with his most profitable lines. There are several European dealers that can sell under US costs for Astars, Dainese, SIDI etc. Revzilla and the like are no real threat as Dealers can sell at whatever price they want. They just cant advertise it. I undercut Revzilla and the like daily. So, support your local dealer before you don't have one to sell you parts and service your bike.
bkkawazx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkawazx9r View Post
Italian Superbikes closed due to the lack of profitability in the market. Bike sales are down 12-15% nationally on Superbikes (750cc and above) but the bigger problem for us was the fact that Piaggio, the parent company for Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, has a glut of both Marques in the US. There is a years worth of Aprilias and Moto Guzzis in the market place plus more in there warehouses. Somehow, dealers in remote places are able to sell new Aprilias at vastly under MSRP, eg. 2017 RSV4RF $16,999 vs $23,999. Small dealers cant compete. Moto Guzzis aren't selling. Piaggio also ties Aprilia with Moto Guzzi. RPM Cycles in Dallas asked to cancel the Moto Guzzi franchise and were told that Aprilia would go with it. They got rid of both. Now RPM is gone leaving AF1 as the only Aprilia dealer in Texas. Piaggio are going to find it difficult to sign new dealers due to there business practices.
AF1 have there own problems. They are taking on more niche marques in order to diversify. They do have their parts business which is their backbone. I have asked the owner to put on a truck to pick up bikes in Houston at least twice per month. They are considering it. They also have a 4 week backlog of service due to the loss of their main technician for Aprilia and Ducati. They have not been able to find a replacement. There are no technicians out there that have the experience to work on the Italian Marques. Those that have the skills are jealously guarded by their employers. That is the real threat to our industry. Also, purchasing from online retailers both in the US and Europe has hurt your dealer with his most profitable lines. There are several European dealers that can sell under US costs for Astars, Dainese, SIDI etc. Revzilla and the like are no real threat as Dealers can sell at whatever price they want. They just cant advertise it. I undercut Revzilla and the like daily. So, support your local dealer before you don't have one to sell you parts and service your bike.
That happened back in 2009. New Tuonos were $12k. You could get them OTD for $8k to $9k. There were shitloads of them just collecting dust in warehouses.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We have serviced Aprilia for a very long time, and can help you with your service needs.
Interesting bit of history; we actually looked at becoming a dealer back in 2004 right before Piaggio bought them. Matter of fact the rep was coming in to go over the papers when a friend called me to alert the pending acquisition by Piaggio.
We stalled the deal to see how that would go down. Obviously we weren't interested afterwards.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement