MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
lizzardman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Suzuki gsx650f

Texas Lane Splitting Bills for 2019 Legislative Session

I think this would be a interesting topic to discuss here. The Texas legislature is currently in session and if we miss an opportunity here we have to wait for a few years to address any bills related to lane splitting. From what I can tell, they have until March 8th to file bills.

A few years ago both Texas Senator Kirk Watson (D) and Sergio Munoz (D) in the House of Representatives presented bills aimed at allowing lane splitting with various conditions. From what I can tell, they died in the transportation committee and never made it to a vote. Perhaps we could make an effort to raise support for this kind of legislation again.

Perhaps we could come up with some points that we would want a bill like this to include and present this list if we contact our representatives. What do you think of lane splitting, and what would you want a bill that introduces it to Texas to contain?
lizzardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lane Splitting for Texas! whisk3y General Discussion (Moto Related) 215 02-11-2017 10:48 AM
Texas riders see introduction of lane splitting bills in House and Senate. 40mmrrsmith General Discussion (Moto Related) 105 05-31-2015 10:06 AM
AMA Supports Oregon Lane Splitting Bills NewsBot Industry News 0 02-25-2015 11:00 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 04:35 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 08:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I personally don't want it. Texas already has great laws concerning property protection and the highest speed limits in the country. If lane splitting and legal weed were legal in Texas it would be utopia and everyone would move here and traffic would get even worse.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
gixxerbill

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I personally don't want it. Texas already has great laws concerning property protection and the highest speed limits in the country. If lane splitting and legal weed were legal in Texas it would be utopia and everyone would move here and traffic would get even worse.
no kidding already have enough of freak'n cali azzwipes moving here. And I don't really care if lane splitting is legal or not I still do it. Pretty hard for cops to get through traffic to get you and if they do you just tell them your bike was over heating or you thought it was legal.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
cbrfxr67
needs more projects

Bike(s):
Grom Clone
gs500/929rr thing,...
zzr600

I was coming in to say heck yea bring it on but reading those first two posts makes me consider the points made. hmmm I split/filter all the time anyways.
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Iím against it. Every squid on a sportbike is going to try to split 50mph faster than traffic is going.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

To the people against it......

Just like most people who thought open carry in texas was going to be a big issue, and many of us said...Well, other states have had it in place and they don't have issues....

Same for splitting. California has it and there doesn't seem to be any huge issue there.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
lizzardman

Bike(s):
Suzuki gsx650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post
Iím against it. Every squid on a sportbike is going to try to split 50mph faster than traffic is going.
I mean they are already doing that anyway even though it is illegal. They would continue to do it if it were legal. However, this would give everyone else the ability to do it in a way that was actually safe or reasonable.
lizzardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
gorillamonkey2

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2002 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
To the people against it......

Just like most people who thought open carry in texas was going to be a big issue, and many of us said...Well, other states have had it in place and they don't have issues....

Same for splitting. California has it and there doesn't seem to be any huge issue there.
Only thing I would argue is that people aren't used to it here. But people would get used to it. Another thing is that it seems that the outer most left lane on freeways (at least in LA) are wider to accommodate lane splitting.
gorillamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamonkey2 View Post
Only thing I would argue is that people aren't used to it here. But people would get used to it. Another thing is that it seems that the outer most left lane on freeways (at least in LA) are wider to accommodate lane splitting.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
HaywoodJablomi
Teh Angry Asian

Bike(s):
2006 zx10r blew that up
2013 zx14r The beast mode bike
2007 Hayabusa The Here I am officer bike

I do it anyways. Legal or not. Besides it's a good way to interrupt people's texting and makeup application time.
HaywoodJablomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
RC45

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post
If folks don't want it in moving freeway traffic, then at least let it be allowed at stoplights. Filtering to the front of the line is the safest way and honestly the only reason I would want to commute on a bike.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaywoodJablomi View Post
I do it anyways. Legal or not. Besides it's a good way to interrupt people's texting and makeup application time.
Exact reason why I would never do it. Somebody texting and realized they are in the wrong lane and turn over right when you are coming by.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
asinop
asinop

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2017 Tiger 800 XRx
2018 BMW K1600GTL
A Schwinn...

I would be for lane splitting/filtering. We should talk it up. After all, it suks getting stuck in traffic, especially when it's hot and you want to wear gear. The old proposal as I recall was very reasonable (allowed below 30 MPH, speed differential of 5). Practically, the speed differential should be 10 MPH. High speed lane splits are not allowed.

I would add that they should make helmet use mandatory if you want to lane split, and also provide a driver education blitz to make sure the public knows about the new law. Otherwise, some douche-bag will open his door because he's jealous that you are getting ahead of him.

Recognize that for those who don't want to lane-split, there is nothing wrong with you not. I could see some instances where it may not be smart. But that shouldn't blanketly make it illegal either.
asinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
CARVER

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk [stolen]

Send a message via Skype™ to CARVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
If folks don't want it in moving freeway traffic, then at least let it be allowed at stoplights. Filtering to the front of the line is the safest way and honestly the only reason I would want to commute on a bike.
I def agree, I don't feel safe stopped in back waiting to get reared by a cage not paying attention. At least filtering at a light puts bikes in between cars which protects from getting reared. And bikes piled in front opens up extra space for more cars to get thru lights.
CARVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement