MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Geico Will Cancel your Insurance Policy if...

I found this on another forum and I wonder if any of you heard about it?

Geico Will Cancel your Insurance Policy if they find out that you have taken your bike to the Track

That's right.

If they find out that you take, or even intend to take your bike to the track, not for racing (although that will bounce you too), but just for a track day they will cancel your coverage, and there is no recourse to ever get the bike covered with them again! There is no appeal possible according to the agent I spoke with on the phone today.

A few days ago I called them up, and asked about adding a bike to my policy that I was setting up for the kart track. I stated I didn't want coverage for it on the track, but I'd like to have some coverage for it when it is off the track in case it were stolen, or fire, etc. They said sure, added the bike to the policy.

Today I received a letter stating:

Your reported use of the (the bike) (vin number) for racing/track use is not covered by your policy contract.

And a similar letter for the bike I wanted to take to the track. That's right they canceled TWO BIKES. Even though I had explicitly told them that the first was not to be tracked. That bike isn't even ridable as it is currently in a number of boxes while I wait for parts for the build--which I had explained to them when I added the second bike.

Upon reading this I called Geico up on the phone. They repeatedly told me that my contract excluded racing, and taking a bike to the track--I even specifically asked about a "track day," and they told me that was excluded.

They said I had to read the contract. Which I have since done. The contract does indeed say they will not cover damage, or liability incurred during:

a) any hill climbing exhibition or any other contest, demonstration, exhibition or parade;
b) any race, speed contest, spontaneous racing or stunting activity of any nature;
c) any marathon-type contest, use in any competition and/or sporting event, or while on any race course or facility
designed for racing; or
d) any contest which sanctions continuous riding for 24 or more hours and/or mileage accumulation in excess of 500
miles per 24 hour period.

But nowhere in the contract can I find that they will cancel the policy for these activities, only that they will not cover damage, or liability incurred during such activities.

Also of interest is that even though I specifically told the policy agent that I wanted to ride the one bike on the track, and knowing they wouldn't cover it, he still sold me the policy. That's right knowing that they wouldn't cover me they still sold me the policy. Their explanation was that judgment is up to the underwriters. However, their internal documents, which they wont share, but what they read when they put you on hold, specifically say they will cancel a policy where the purchaser states that they do, or intend to ride the bike on the track.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote