MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #21
tackyfire1809
Member
 
tackyfire1809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 64

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2008 CBR 600RR
2006 ZX6R-stolen :(
2003 Buell XB9R







I've always wanted an SV to be honest. My friends like to poke fun at the fact that I always recommend them to people, but I've never had one myself. Do you think it would be a good bike for a provnov/ novice to learn on?
tackyfire1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat Track Racing: Kawasaki Ninja 650 NewsBot Industry News 0 07-13-2017 05:10 PM
2015 KTM RC390 HeyHeyJJ Motorcycles For Sale 12 02-11-2017 05:46 PM
2015 KTM RC390 ArkansasDave Motorcycles For Sale 34 03-05-2016 11:32 AM
Ninja 250 Racing - Bluepine Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 08-08-2013 07:24 AM
racing Ninja 250s .... logan5 Taking it to the Track 32 12-09-2009 02:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #22
Ek
Senior Member
 
Ek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 1,488

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 525sx tard
Z125 Pro
TTR125 Mini Tard
KTM 300sx






Quote:
Originally Posted by tackyfire1809 View Post
I've always wanted an SV to be honest. My friends like to poke fun at the fact that I always recommend them to people, but I've never had one myself. Do you think it would be a good bike for a provnov/ novice to learn on?
Absolutely. I may have had more fun racing it than I did my old R6. You still have to carry more corner speed and brake late but it has enough power to keep it fun. If you race endurance you willbe on the slowest bike on the track. You will find yourself in battle with 600's and you will learn to use ever bit of power that the bike has.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,159

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard






Quote:
Originally Posted by tackyfire1809 View Post
I've always wanted an SV to be honest. My friends like to poke fun at the fact that I always recommend them to people, but I've never had one myself. Do you think it would be a good bike for a provnov/ novice to learn on?
I think your races are limited with a SV650. Looking at the rule book, I think, Formula 2 and Lightweight twins may be your only races you can enter. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info on that.

Remember, to complete your prov nov requirements, you have to compete in 2 races a weekend, on 2 different weekends, without crashing. So it's a total of 4 races, plus the prov nov mock race you take on your first classroom day. The 2 races for the weekend can be substituted for a couple of sessions on an endurance race.
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
JKovatch
Member
 
JKovatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 80

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki SV650 (track bike)
2016 Ducati Monster 821 Dark
2012 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)







I ended up picking up a low-mileage R3 for my fiancee to learn on from a fellow MH'er for $3500 (came with Akrapovic exhaust and rearsets, other than that...all stock).

Deals can be had on the R3's (especially the '15s since they had a few recalls), just have to wait it out and be ready when they pop up.
JKovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #25
trunxgp1224
How's the wife?
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,694












Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
I think your races are limited with a SV650. Looking at the rule book, I think, Formula 2 and Lightweight twins may be your only races you can enter. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info on that.

Remember, to complete your prov nov requirements, you have to compete in 2 races a weekend, on 2 different weekends, without crashing. So it's a total of 4 races, plus the prov nov mock race you take on your first classroom day. The 2 races for the weekend can be substituted for a couple of sessions on an endurance race.
LW Twins, F2, D superstock, D superbike. People also race up into the HW twins and B classes.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #26
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,159

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard






Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
LW Twins, F2, D superstock, D superbike. People also race up into the HW twins and B classes.
Ya, I figured he could go up in classes, but not sure how good that would be for prov nov stuff, at those higher levels. I know I did 500 superstock on my ninja 300. I was a bit nerve racking, but it worked out.
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #27
trunxgp1224
How's the wife?
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,694












There's at least the 4 classes for them to run on the SV. HW Twins isn't bad because it of the grid size.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #28
tackyfire1809
Member
 
tackyfire1809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 64

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2008 CBR 600RR
2006 ZX6R-stolen :(
2003 Buell XB9R







Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
There's at least the 4 classes for them to run on the SV. HW Twins isn't bad because it of the grid size.
The SV I'm looking at has a Gsxr front end. I'm sure that disqualifies me from som classes.
tackyfire1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #29
trunxgp1224
How's the wife?
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,694












Quote:
Originally Posted by tackyfire1809 View Post
The SV I'm looking at has a Gsxr front end. I'm sure that disqualifies me from som classes.
Only disqualifies you from Superstock, so you'll still have 3 races.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #30
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY
 
wiayeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Med Ctr
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,156

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (Superbike)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
99 SV650 (Supersport)






I will echo what you have heard. The Purple Helmets endurance a 250. It is waaay more fun than my SV. The older I get, the smaller my bikes get.

R3 is the bike to have. They are quick and reliable. The Ninja 300 is bullet proof, but slower than the R3. The horror stories about the 390 are probably over exaggerated, but when they let go, they do it in grand style.

I have an SV that will be up for sale in the coming weeks if you want first dibs, Tackyfire. R1 front end, cams, Hayabusa pistons, etc. Good for F2, SSD, and LWT.
__________________
OOT
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
EnergyHOU
Senior Member
 
EnergyHOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 102

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2015 KTM RC 390









Own an RC 390 used for track day duty and street, race a Ninja 300 (#16 Garuda Motorsport) in CMRA.

Buy a 300 purely due to: parts availability, reliability and ease to work on. I love my 390 and quite surprisingly I've had next to 0 issues with it (9400 miles, bought new) BUT, the horror stories from friends doesn't stop and we aren't talking about minor issues either.
EnergyHOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #32
tackyfire1809
Member
 
tackyfire1809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 64

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2008 CBR 600RR
2006 ZX6R-stolen :(
2003 Buell XB9R







Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyHOU View Post
Own an RC 390 used for track day duty and street, race a Ninja 300 (#16 Garuda Motorsport) in CMRA.

Buy a 300 purely due to: parts availability, reliability and ease to work on. I love my 390 and quite surprisingly I've had next to 0 issues with it (9400 miles, bought new) BUT, the horror stories from friends doesn't stop and we aren't talking about minor issues either.
How competitive is the Ninja? On one side I hear that they are getting blown away by R3s on the other people race them and do decent.
tackyfire1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #33
EnergyHOU
Senior Member
 
EnergyHOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 102

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2015 KTM RC 390









Quote:
Originally Posted by tackyfire1809 View Post
How competitive is the Ninja? On one side I hear that they are getting blown away by R3s on the other people race them and do decent.
All depends on the team, truly. But GENERALLY speaking, I would agree with your above statement. If you go look at who ran Top 5 last round, like 3 or 4 of them are R3s.
EnergyHOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #34
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY
 
wiayeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Med Ctr
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,156

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (Superbike)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
99 SV650 (Supersport)






Last ULW race at Cresson, the first 300 over the line was 13th. 7 R3's in the top 10 along with a couple of CBR500s, and an RC390.

The boys in the top 10 are uber fast. There were 38 bikes in that sprint race. Go for reliability and fun. You will find someone to race with anywhere on the track.
__________________
OOT
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #35
sharkynrk
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 43

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 ZX6R
09 250R Track
93 F2.5 Track
2015 Grom
08 Versys 650






Send a message via Yahoo to sharkynrk
^^ One thing to consider is that the guys at the front, the top 10 guys, also tend to upgrade to the most competitive bike at a faster pace than guys in the mid-pack - hence R3s up front as well. The top 10 riders could/would still be top 10 guys on a Ninja 300 as well most likely. Look at WSSP300, wins split by the Honda 500, Ninja 300 and R3.
sharkynrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #36
tackyfire1809
Member
 
tackyfire1809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 64

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2008 CBR 600RR
2006 ZX6R-stolen :(
2003 Buell XB9R







So Manny just hooked me up with a Ninja300 that has a Penske rear and emulators in the front. It's also got vortex clipons and rearsets. Not a bad deal at all. I can't wait to get this thing to the track.
tackyfire1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #37
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,159

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard






__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #38
ConcordEagle
Senior Member
 
ConcordEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 172

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796








Quote:
Originally Posted by tackyfire1809 View Post
So Manny just hooked me up with a Ninja300 that has a Penske rear and emulators in the front. It's also got vortex clipons and rearsets. Not a bad deal at all. I can't wait to get this thing to the track.
Pardon my ignorance but what is an emulator? Like a fork cartridge with spring/valving?
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #39
MKlein3004
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 19












It's a shimstack that sits ontop of an inoperable damper rod (this is done through the installation process). It is supposed to "emulate" a cartridge valve. It can be adjusted like a normal fork valve for different riders preferences (changing shim sizes and oil orifice passageways, completed by a professional). No external adjustment capability.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #40
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,159

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard






Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
It's a shimstack that sits ontop of an inoperable damper rod (this is done through the installation process). It is supposed to "emulate" a cartridge valve. It can be adjusted like a normal fork valve for different riders preferences (changing shim sizes and oil orifice passageways, completed by a professional). No external adjustment capability.
The new RaceTech gold valve emulator (for the ninja 300) is no longer a shim stack, it's an actual adjustable valve.
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy