MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
classala
3-Lap Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Ready for level 2?!

...maybe... but I'm sticking at level 1 for now...

anyway, here's another "Instructor Analysis" video at COTA:

classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT cota sunday level 2b for level 3 r6racer Want To Buy or Trade 0 09-05-2014 09:49 AM
Trade Sunday COTA level 2B for level 3 speedoeffect Taking it to the Track 4 04-30-2013 07:42 PM
2 Technicians Needed (A-Level & Entry Level) MikeS Jobs Section 0 03-05-2013 01:58 PM
Entry level CMRA ready track bike needs new home Rocketman1000R Motorcycles For Sale 4 05-18-2009 09:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Mace
Wisdom

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

Man , get out of L1 as quick as you feel comfortable to do so . You will pick-up all kinds of bad habits , going to L2 will make you faster in two track days .
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500

RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Work with instructors until you become more comfortable at the faster pace. You do not want to go out in L2 and be the guy that starts a traffic jam. Work with different instructors because they all have something to teach you. If you want to bump up just for COTA i would spend more time on line building and make sure they say OK.

Would hate to see you go out in L2 and have something scare you or worse have an incident. It is like the guy that crashes in round robin, you have plenty of time. Smooth is fast.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Level 2 is the worse group. Such a wide variety of skill sets and egos. You have everyone from the person that just got bumped to level two from level one to Johnny badass who has been in level two for too long and thinks he's the winning every session.

Level one and three are the safest IMO. Once you get to level two, make sure to really focus on your lines, being predictable, staying within your comfort zone, and such. Then, GTFO of that mad house and get to the good stuff.

Happy riding!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
Man , get out of L1 as quick as you feel comfortable to do so . You will pick-up all kinds of bad habits , going to L2 will make you faster in two track days .
I've just moved up to the faster pack in L1 two or three track days ago, so I figured I'll enjoy this moment for a few more track days before being part of the slower pack in L2.

But I do have to practice more passing, as that's something I still have to think a lot before actually doing it...
Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz500guy View Post
Work with instructors until you become more comfortable at the faster pace. You do not want to go out in L2 and be the guy that starts a traffic jam. Work with different instructors because they all have something to teach you. If you want to bump up just for COTA i would spend more time on line building and make sure they say OK.

Would hate to see you go out in L2 and have something scare you or worse have an incident. It is like the guy that crashes in round robin, you have plenty of time. Smooth is fast.
Yeah, I always work with instructors on at least two or three sessions and write down their feedback.

I'd hate to be the rider causing a traffic jam.

I'll still do L1 in COTA in November. My plan is to finish my first year in track days on L1, and based on how I feel by the time next year's season starts, I'll decide whether I'll move up or not.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Level 2 is the worse group. Such a wide variety of skill sets and egos. You have everyone from the person that just got bumped to level two from level one to Johnny badass who has been in level two for too long and thinks he's the winning every session.

Level one and three are the safest IMO. Once you get to level two, make sure to really focus on your lines, being predictable, staying within your comfort zone, and such. Then, GTFO of that mad house and get to the good stuff.

Happy riding!
Right, I've heard from a couple of instructors the same thing about level 1 and level 3 being the safest group, and level 2 being the worst. And that's being my observations, too.

It seems like L2 has the biggest number of red flags.

Ego seems to play a huge part in that: my wife and I noticed a huge number of L2 riders simply skip class altogether. Some of those are the ones either crashing or causing crashes. They do bad stuff on the track and don't get to be oriented in class by instructors.

Fortunately, this situation seems to be changing with Ridesmart tightening the rules on getting different colored stickers for each class session. As far as I remember, there were no red flags in the last two track days I've been to.

I do watch several videos from different riders at all levels, and it does seem like L2 is a bit of a zoo, scary at times, whereas L3 definitely looks smooth.

Well, I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Are you going to be at MSRH this weekend?

I had a look at some of your other videos on YouTube. Looks Ike you've been to COTA too much.

What I noticed is you were much better at MSRH and Cresson. Based on those I see no issue you coming to lv2. COTA is not a track to learn on. It's very counter productive in my opinon, I'd stay away from it until you are fast enough to use it otherwise even its corners are like straights and the turns that are there are made to trick riders not teach them.

MSRH is a good mix but even then things didn't click for me until I road a much shorter more curvey track at grandSport. Too bad we can no longer ride there, but after that next time I went back to MSRH it was night and day diffence. So I was happy to see you make the haul to Cresson, looked like a totally differnt rider than the one in the COTA vid above.

You can also do a lot in parking lot, making figure 8's and practicing braking, you can learn a lot about your bike and improve just doing low speed 25mph stuff, even getting off the bike quite a bit and working on transitions.

Last bit. Try not to focus on what others are doing are not going to class etc. The less you have to worry about the more you can learn on your own, If you haven't read Twist of the Wrist II yet then get a copy and read over the winter.
Bottom line seeing your other vids I'd have no issue sharing the track with you, so bump up next time you go back to one of those places.

Last bit how did you like riding in the rain back in June at MSRH. That was another thing that helped make things click for me, since then I've been known to go to my parking lot after a rain shower and play. See you at the track

Last edited by kenup283; 10-20-2017 at 07:29 PM.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Ken,
Can you go into more detail regarding the downsides of COTA?

-Curt
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

LV2 is no good
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Are you going to be at MSRH this weekend?

I had a look at some of your other videos on YouTube. Looks Ike you've been to COTA too much.

What I noticed is you were much better at MSRH and Cresson. Based on those I see no issue you coming to lv2. COTA is not a track to learn on. It's very counter productive in my opinon, I'd stay away from it until you are fast enough to use it otherwise even its corners are like straights and the turns that are there are made to trick riders not teach them.

MSRH is a good mix but even then things didn't click for me until I road a much shorter more curvey track at grandSport. Too bad we can no longer ride there, but after that next time I went back to MSRH it was night and day diffence. So I was happy to see you make the haul to Cresson, looked like a totally differnt rider than the one in the COTA vid above.

You can also do a lot in parking lot, making figure 8's and practicing braking, you can learn a lot about your bike and improve just doing low speed 25mph stuff, even getting off the bike quite a bit and working on transitions.

Last bit. Try not to focus on what others are doing are not going to class etc. The less you have to worry about the more you can learn on your own, If you haven't read Twist of the Wrist II yet then get a copy and read over the winter.
Bottom line seeing your other vids I'd have no issue sharing the track with you, so bump up next time you go back to one of those places.

Last bit how did you like riding in the rain back in June at MSRH. That was another thing that helped make things click for me, since then I've been known to go to my parking lot after a rain shower and play. See you at the track
Thanks for taking the time to watch my videos and provide me feedback!

Interesting observations. Yes, I'll be at MSRH tomorrow, and would love to hear your feedback on specific points that make you think I did better at Cresson and MSRH than COTA.

I've actually felt I evolved a lot more at COTA. Not having to avoid bumps, seams, and stuff like that, and knowing there was plenty of runoff in case I needed it, made me feel more comfortable focusing solely on my riding.

I came out of MSRC 1.3 a little frustrated because I didn't feel like I evolved much my left-handers there (which is one of the things I've been having the most trouble with). I've been to MSRC 1.7 since then and think I did much better (hopefully will have videos up next week).

I'm signed up in L1 tomorrow and also for COTA in late November. I feel like I really need to get better at passing before moving up. I've been reviewing my videos and I see I hesitate a lot doing some passing that should be no-brainers. I need to get more comfortable with taking different lines as I pass other riders.

I have read both TOTW 1 and 2, and watched both videos (the second one I've watched 3 or 4 times so far). I've also read Total Control, and thought it was pretty good. Besides that, I've been reading tons of other material I found out there (really like www.lifeatlean.com).

I didn't like riding in the rain much at MSRH in June. I didn't skip any wet session and think it was a very good thing to do, but it felt there was no grip at all. Maybe my tire pressure was incorrect for that condition. I felt like I was stepping on eggs the whole time. Knowing how to feel the grip available is something I'm far from achieving, I think.

I've been meaning to hit a parking lot to practice some drills, but just haven't been able to yet.

I'll be in canopy #19 tomorrow. Make sure to come by so we can chat. And thanks for letting me know you'd welcome me in L2.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post

Iíll get you there soon.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by classala View Post
Iíll get you there soon.
oops, meant to say I'll get there soon ( auto correct).
Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 AM   #14
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

They call L2 "the thunder dome" for a reason.

Whenever you feel like you want to move up, just do what you do, keep your line and err on the side of caution. A lot of fast riders (and instructors) will make you better and the trouble makers, will keep you on your toes.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #15
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
They call L2 "the thunder dome" for a reason.

Whenever you feel like you want to move up, just do what you do, keep your line and err on the side of caution. A lot of fast riders (and instructors) will make you better and the trouble makers, will keep you on your toes.
Thanks for the feedback!

Talked to a few buddies and instructors at MSRH today and got some mixed answers. But bottom line is: I may be moving up soon. I'll be analyzing my videos and notes for today during the following days and will make up my mind about it.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Itís really not too bad. Iíve learned to start away from the crowd if possible. Pitting in for 30 seconds to get the track to yourself doesnít hurt either.
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #17
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Itís really not too bad. Iíve learned to start away from the crowd if possible. Pitting in for 30 seconds to get the track to yourself doesnít hurt either.

Yup, good idea!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

To everyone who contributed to this thread (thank you!): after hanging out in L1 for another three track days, I've finally decided to move up to level 2B at COTA last weekend, and did just fine. I'll post videos commenting on my experiences in the last couple of days.
Liked this post:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by classala View Post
To everyone who contributed to this thread (thank you!): after hanging out in L1 for another three track days, I've finally decided to move up to level 2B at COTA last weekend, and did just fine. I'll post videos commenting on my experiences in the last couple of days.

Nice! See you next year
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post