MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Oakley
Roadkill Queen

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja 300
Kawasaki Ninja 650

Looking for imput

So Christmas Eve morning on the way to work, my ninja 650 blew a rod and it shredded a piston. Needless to say, the engine is fubar. I took it to Mancuso 59 for them to fix a few days later and they contacted the warranty company and good news, itís covered, but now itís February and they still havenít found a replacement engine. I was informed that Kawasaki doesnít just sell brand new motors, so theyíre looking for a used one with lower miles than what I had that is still under warranty. Iím not sure what my options are at this point. If they canít supply me with a new motor, and canít find me a used motor that meets my approval, wouldnít the warranty company have to replace the whole bike? At this point, between a new motor and the cost of services, itís right up there around the Msrp for a brand new 2017 650. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind, my bike is my only means of transportation and this is killing me having to rely on others to go places.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i want your imput.. Kodak Off Topic 11 03-06-2009 08:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

What year is ur bike?
U just found the weakest point of a 650r.
Since it's under warranty just let them do what the need to. U really dont have a choice.
Other options are coming out if pocket.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
TaiMc

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
So Christmas Eve morning on the way to work, my ninja 650 blew a rod and it shredded a piston. Needless to say, the engine is fubar. I took it to Mancuso 59 for them to fix a few days later and they contacted the warranty company and good news, itís covered, but now itís February and they still havenít found a replacement engine. I was informed that Kawasaki doesnít just sell brand new motors, so theyíre looking for a used one with lower miles than what I had that is still under warranty. Iím not sure what my options are at this point. If they canít supply me with a new motor, and canít find me a used motor that meets my approval, wouldnít the warranty company have to replace the whole bike? At this point, between a new motor and the cost of services, itís right up there around the Msrp for a brand new 2017 650. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind, my bike is my only means of transportation and this is killing me having to rely on others to go places.
Sorry this happened...but have you contacted Kawasaki directly and inquired about your warranty? No disrespect to Mancuso, but if it were me, I'd contact Kawasaki directly and inform them that this bike is your only means of transportation, and that you'd like them to open up a ticket for the ETA of the new engine. Also, I would look at the fine print of the warranty that was given to you at the time of your purchase, as this would be helpful with the language about the type of replacement engine that they will install: whether it is new or refurbished.

At this point, if it is under warranty I'm not understanding why they would go back with a used engine instead of a new one. Now, you got me wondering what my warranty says about my bike. I'm gonna do my research on mine and also take a look at the warranty (posted on their website) for yours. It may not have all language included with the full warranty though. I highly suggest you find it and read it.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
TaiMc

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
...I was informed that Kawasaki doesnít just sell brand new motors, so theyíre looking for a used one with lower miles than what I had that is still under warranty...
I just checked my Kawasaki limited warranty and they are extremely vague about the "replacement parts". See below:

"One-Year Repair Coverage: What is covered: Kawasaki Motors Corp. USA ("Kawasaki") will cover all material and labor costs associated with repairing or replacing any factory-supplied part of your 2012 and subsequent model-year motorcycle found to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use and maintenance"(it does not specify whether or not the replacement parts will be new or refurbished. Actually it doesn't specify anything about the replacement parts.)

Here is the information about questions about "Warranty Service". You should definitely call them and ask about the type of parts that will be used and to let them know how long you've been without a bike. They may even be able to escalate your situation by giving you another number/contact to see what can be done.

"Questions about Warranty Service: If you have questions, comments, or concerns about this Limited Warranty or warranty service you've requested or received, please contact Kawasaki Customer Service at 1-866-802-9381 or at the address below: Kawasaki Motors Corp., USA- P.O. Box 25252, Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252"

Hope this helps.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
Oakley
Roadkill Queen

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja 300
Kawasaki Ninja 650

Iíll get on it first thing tomorrow. Thank you. This is at least pointing me in the right direction.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
pbfoot

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1999 Honda VFR800

Do you ride wheelies?
Old 02-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Oakley
Roadkill Queen

Bike(s):