MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
do you mind me asking what you do? Maybe you're maybe Im just a bit burned out. And need a new challenge. Really not that old only 53. Well that is probably old to alot of you. I thought 53 was old when I was in my 20s. Really I don't know what happened to the years they just went like fast.
I do occupational safety and other related safety stuff at NASA. They call me a safety engineer but without the actual engineering degree. The best part is that i oversee all of the "critical" crane lifts on site, which is all of the cool stuff that gets lifted. that means i basically have to have access to all of the buildings with the cool stuff in them.

I also manage 6 Vapor stores here in the southeast Houston area in my "off" hours. That's a reward in that i get to see the effects of people getting off cigarettes
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPD officers retiring over new... NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 12-06-2016 12:10 AM
My plan is to crowd source a plan Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-05-2015 04:11 PM
Retiring for a while dinosaur Motorcycles For Sale 29 04-11-2014 02:18 PM
I am Retiring luinstra Stunters Lounge 17 02-20-2009 07:13 PM
RETIRING PETE General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 11-08-2005 11:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
I do occupational safety and other related safety stuff at NASA. They call me a safety engineer but without the actual engineering degree. The best part is that i oversee all of the "critical" crane lifts on site, which is all of the cool stuff that gets lifted. that means i basically have to have access to all of the buildings with the cool stuff in them.
Quote:
I also manage 6 Vapor stores here in the southeast Houston area in my "off" hours. That's a reward in that i get to see the effects of people getting off cigarettes
and on to your vapor ones.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #23
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I would like to retire at 55 when my youngest graduates. So I have about 20 years left. Won't fully retire. I like to actively manage my investments and hopefully I have much more to manage by then. That can be done by the pool with a computer though. House is paid for so plan is to sell it and buy a condo in Houston to stay close to the kids and one on the pacific coast of Mexico somewhere. Hopefully split my time hanging out with my then adult children/grandkids and sitting on the beach in Mexico to my wife about not catching any fish that day.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #24
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I would like to retire at 55 when my youngest graduates. So I have about 20 years left. Won't fully retire. I like to actively manage my investments and hopefully I have much more to manage by then. That can be done by the pool with a computer though. House is paid for so plan is to sell it and buy a condo in Houston to stay close to the kids and one on the pacific coast of Mexico somewhere. Hopefully split my time hanging out with my then adult children/grandkids and sitting on the beach in Mexico to my wife about not catching any fish that day.
Sounds like an awesome plan!!! (i need to learn how to fish)

oh when you say 20 years left is that 20 years until you die or 20 years til you hit 55?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #25
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

I'd like to open a bar. That probably sounds crazy, but I miss the service industry. I liked making people happy. As far as when? Way too early in my career to call it. I should be able to as early as my early 50s but late career when I might be raking it in (comparatively), I might not want to retire so soon
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #26
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I'd like to open a bar. That probably sounds crazy, but I miss the service industry. I liked making people happy. As far as when? Way too early in my career to call it. I should be able to as early as my early 50s but late career when I might be raking it in (comparatively), I might not want to retire so soon
I think running a bar which could be fun is still work isn't it? While I would love to make the drinks to see if I could get as good as Tom Cruise, I would just hate dealing with whiny loud obnoxious mean drunks. Most drunks are .
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #27
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I think running a bar which could be fun is still work isn't it? While I would love to make the drinks to see if I could get as good as Tom Cruise, I would just hate dealing with whiny loud obnoxious mean drunks. Most drunks are .
Owning and running are different. I imagine myself more as a director than a manager. I would definitely have a management team to handle operations.
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Owning and running are different. I imagine myself more as a director than a manager. I would definitely have a management team to handle operations.
oh ok. You're talking about the people that call in sick, don't show up for a multitude of reasons, create drama for fun, steal you blind and screw the other personnel and get you into sexual harassment and over serving drunks lawsuits. .
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #29
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Sounds like an awesome plan!!! (i need to learn how to fish)

oh when you say 20 years left is that 20 years until you die or 20 years til you hit 55?
Knowing my luck it will probably be both. I'm in my mid 30s now.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #30
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
oh ok. You're talking about the people that call in sick, don't show up for a multitude of reasons, create drama for fun, steal you blind and screw the other personnel and get you into sexual harassment and over serving drunks lawsuits. .
Yeah man, that's all par for the course.
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #31
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Knowing my luck it will probably be both. I'm in my mid 30s now.
oh ok . just wanted to clarify.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #32
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
My father and I both dreamed of owning a bar together. We took over a bar in the Rice Village last year. I hated it. It might not be so bad if I didn't have another business that took up a bunch of time. Imagine all the work that goes into throwing a party for 500 people at your house. Now do that every single day. Sure you can have other people do the part like pouring drinks and cleaning, but it is still a pain in the . I already knew how to do everything from setting up and programming POS systems to payroll, taxes, and accounting. Even with zero learning curve it sucked. I bowed out and got my money back. He loves it though so maybe you might. He is actually opening another one on Braeswood. The novelty of sitting back and chilling at your own bar wore off in about a month. If you are single it might not be so bad. I had to beat those West U milfs off with a stick when they found out I owned the place.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #33
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
My father and I both dreamed of owning a bar together. We took over a bar in the Rice Village last year. I hated it. It might not be so bad if I didn't have another business that took up a bunch of time. Imagine all the work that goes into throwing a party for 500 people at your house. Now do that every single day. Sure you can have other people do the part like pouring drinks and cleaning, but it is still a pain in the . I already knew how to do everything from setting up and programming POS systems to payroll, taxes, and accounting. Even with zero learning curve it sucked. I bowed out and got my money back. He loves it though so maybe you might. He is actually opening another one on Braeswood. The novelty of sitting back and chilling at your own bar wore off in about a month. If you are single it might not be so bad. I had to beat those West U milfs off with a stick when they found out I owned the place.
I put myself through school via the service industry, serving and bartending. I enjoyed it, even the things that all my co-workers hated. I dunno, I just liked the industry. I'm a I guess.
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #34
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I would like to retire early enough to travel the US/Canada with the wife, ride motorcycles more often, build some cars/trucks, do a little farming, do some wood working, and fish my off.
Quote:
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:49 AM   #35
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post

Vaping helped me get off cigarettes.

And to your statement gixxerbill, I've been nicotine free for 4 months and i haven't smelled like an ashtray in 2 years, lol. Now vaping for me is like sucking my thumb.
It still helps with occasional craving but its only once or twice a day now.

SBfuller, i bought a TON of juice from your place in Pearland until i learned to make my own. The fact that y'all would make it in whatever nic i wanted helped me to start cutting down. Thank you.

Making my own let me taper gradually to zero.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #36
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
I had to beat those West U milfs off with a stick when they found out I owned the place.
I think I figured out why your dad likes it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #37
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I think I figured out why your dad likes it.
Yep. Every time i go up there he has a new one vying for that coveted main status.
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #38
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:

And to your statement gixxerbill, I've been nicotine free for 4 months and i haven't smelled like an ashtray in 2 years, lol. Now vaping for me is like sucking my thumb.

SBfuller, i bought a TON of juice from your place in Pearland until i learned to make my own. The fact that y'all would make it in whatever nic i wanted helped me to start cutting down. Thank you.

That's awesome. Even though you don't buy from us anymore, as long as you stay off of cigs and I know we helped get you there, that's a win in my book. We've lost many customers that I occasionally see that are completely off it. That's the best way to lose customers if we are going to lose them
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #39
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:

I don't know my wife quit by chewing that nasty nicotine gum(taste like you are chewing cigarette ) for 5 years now. But it's still better than cigarettes. My son n law vapes and i'll take a hit off of his every once a while when I am stressed but normally smoke swisher sweets small cigars because it makes me feel like Clint Eastwood. But I need to quit use to just puff on them and now I inhale them.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #40
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Id like to retire around 40. That would be semi retirement tho, I,like Repth, enjoy the service industry too much to break away completely. I think 20-25 hours a week working then the rest of my time at a ranch in hill country Texas just playing with motorcycles, tractors and maybe some chickens goats and pigs would be ideal. Im no country bumpkin, but I always fantasize about a remote location where you hear a car pass by every half hour or so.
rccarlson22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement