MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
TaiMc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Air Filter Cleaner and Fuel Tank Removal (2018 Ninja 400)

So I decided that I would change my air filter cleaner for the first time! Replacing the filter isn’t a difficult task, however, I found the difficulty with everything else that happened prior to the filter. I used the Service Manual as a guide.

Total time: 3 hours
Pages referred to in the service manual: (30, 193—197, 492, 540)

I’ve listed steps and pics below:

1.) Remove upper middle fairings (the black plastic/textured ones), both seats & disconnect the negative battery post.

2.) Remove lower fairing on LEFT side. Service manual indicates to remove the main middle fairing to reach the Breather and Drain hoses, but instead I removed 2 bolts (on the middle fairing), used zip-ties to pull the middle fairing away from the bike, in order to access the hoses. I made a zip-tie “chain” and (looped 5 zip-ties to each other and attached it to the hole on the middle fairing that attaches near the tank ) attached it to my left handlebar & the fairing.

3.) Removed the Breather hose, but kept the Drain hose attached to the tank & rerouted the hose away from the bike.

4.) Removed the screws that hold the tank in place near the battery.
https://i.imgur.com/OKFlIt4l.jpg

5.) Wiggled the tank and pulled upward to loosen it. I placed my iPhone box between the bike & the tank to leave a LARGE gap .*Note: the manual instructs to siphon fuel out of the tank prior to removal. I did NOT do this. An empty tank makes a less strenuous job as the tank is lighter. However, since I didn’t do this, my tank was heavy & I needed to place something underneath to keep it lifted while working under it.

6.) Unlock/open the fuel tank reservoir to release pressure (on top of the tank) & place a towel underneath the tank for the next step.

7.) Under the tank, disconnect the Fuel Pump Lead (flathead screwdriver to unlock) & unlatch the red clip (fuel hose joint lock) that holds the Fuel Hose Joint on to the Fuel Outlet Pipe. You will need to use a flathead to unlock it as well.

8.) Gently remove the Fuel Joint Hose from the Fuel Outlet Pipe and be sure to have another towel handy to cover the end of the Fuel Hose Joint (fuel is still in the line, and some will leak out). Also some gas will be in the Fuel Outlet Pipe. Be sure to clean this tip with a towel. I used a sandwich bag & placed a towel inside to catch excess fuel as I wrapped it around the Fuel Outlet Pipe with a zip-tie. This is to make sure no fuel drips or is flung around while removing the tank from the bike.

9.) Remove the tank by lifting up at a 45 degree angle and pull towards the rear of the bike. You may have to wiggle it loose.

10.) Now the Air Filter Housing is exposed. Disconnect the Air Intake Temperature Sensor located at the base of the housing. And remove all of the Air Cleaner Housing Assembly Screws, thereby removing the Air Cleaner Housing.

11.) Remove the one screw at the base of the dirty air cleaner filter. Put in the new air cleaner filter and secure it with the same bolt that was removed for the used filter. Replace the Air Filter Housing

12.) Work backwards and reassemble everything to finish up.

*Note: I added engine oil to the rubber dampers that the tank slides back onto. This made it much easier, but install the tank in the opposite direction in which you removed it. You should press it forward but still at the 45 degree angle. You’ll know when it’s right as the tank will seat tightly. I also added engine oil to the fuel outlet pipe (as recommended in the manual). This allows the fuel joint hose to slide on easily. Be sure to reuse all the stock clips that are attached to the various hoses. You will need them.

I also cranked the bike and let it idle to make sure I assembled everything correctly. After turning it off, I smelled my tank to make sure a strong fuel smell was NOT present. There was none, so I shouldn’t have any fuel leakage! Sorry this is lengthy but I hope it helps someone!

Video of the bike cranked after the installation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a4L...ew?usp=sharing
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)

Last edited by TaiMc; 06-26-2020 at 04:09 AM.
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post: