MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
SouthernFZ09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Let's talk tires

So I'm new to street/sport bikes and have been making it to some of the Waller rides. I'm in need of new tires pretty soon and not sure what to look for. Bike sees the back roads as much as I can get out there and some general commuting. Give me some guidance y'all. Thanks.
SouthernFZ09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pit Stop Or No Pit Stop? World Superbike Riders Talk Tires At Phillip Island. NewsBot Industry News 0 03-02-2018 07:50 PM
Anyone interested in trading dirt tires for my street tires? Faithfulfather Super Motards 4 07-07-2015 02:36 AM
all that tire talk, buying new tires obed General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-21-2011 08:12 AM
Tires Tires Tires!!! And tail piece!!! Bigbear713 Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 9 04-02-2011 01:34 PM
crf50 frame /motorcycle tires/ atc,atv wheels & tires ANTISOCIAL Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 2 10-20-2009 09:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
HTX_713

Iím biased to the Dunlop Q3+ at the moment. Gives me full confidence in the corners.
HTX_713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2. Trackday/Backroads shredder
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Whatever you decide look up cycleshack north on the here. I’ve drove over an hour to go there cheaper, fresher and mfgr rebates on most popular tires. Say you’re from MotoHouston and they give even another discount. There are several posts under their sponsor page that may help you see what’s out there.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Back when I was trying to take corners hard and fast, I would use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. But now I look for longevity so I run the Road 5... Still brand loyal, but lately been considering switching over to Dunlop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
CrateCookie

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 650

Member Garage

switched over to dunlop

I was running the pilot road tires but Patrick talked me into trying dunlop since i was getting lots of cupping.
CrateCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP DS FI Restomod
1991 Bimota YB8
2008 KTM 250 (350) XC-F
1962 Ducati 98 Bronco

You can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturer's offerings, just pick the "class" offerings that applies to your intended use that each has.

Find Bill Drake and call him. He will set you up with good options and the best deals.

Some of the sport touring tires of today are better than the "sticky" tires 15 years ago...for street riding.

Everyone has their biased preferences. I like Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlops, and Pirelli.

I just recently bought a set of Bridgestones S22R from Motomummy here in Round Rock because I needed them locally. Just under $250 for the set with a $60 rebate form to submit. So all in for 190 or so. Great tires, but the T30's (or latest version) last a little longer with very similar characteristics.

Seriously, stay away from something like Shinkos and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Tojo92; 05-03-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCookie View Post
I was running the pilot road tires but Patrick talked me into trying dunlop since i was getting lots of cupping.
This typically happens with the front tire if you are not daily riding your bike or going on long trips often. Sucks because I really like my Road 5's, but I experienced the same as well as others I've spoken to about the Michelin's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
You can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturer's offerings, just pick the "class" offerings that applies to your intended use that each has.

Find Bill Drake and call him. He will set you up with good options and the best deals.

Some of the sport touring tires of today are better than the "sticky" tires 15 years ago...for street riding.

Everyone has their biased preferences. I like Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlops, and Pirelli.

I just recently bought a set of Bridgestones S22R from Motomummy here in Round Rock because I needed them locally. Just under $250 for the set with a $60 rebate form to submit. So all in for 190 or so. Great tires, but the T30's (or latest version) last a little longer with very similar characteristics.

Seriously, stay away from something like Shinkos and you'll be fine.
These tires are not that bad if you are using them on light cruisers... especially if you are running inner tubes. For performance applications, stay away from these tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
SouthernFZ09

Thanks guys. I've sent Bill a PM and plan to call him Tuesday. I'm in Tomball, so he's nice and close.
SouthernFZ09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Absolute best tire value bar none...Dunlop RoadSport 2...many in our group use them and iíve heard no complaints. Why pay $185 for a rear you can get the RoadSports for $95. Call Bill Drake and he will take care of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F18C0F8-0881-4BCD-B926-D8FA842D430E.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	105768  
Old 05-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

Pirelli Angel GT's give excellent wet weather grip and wear like iron, they definitely aren't the best for aggressive sporty riding. If you happen to install your own tires, these can be an absolute to mount

Pirelli Supercorsa's are the absolute best, grippy, confidence-inspiring tires I've ever ran..... until you hit roads that are to any degree damp. Even the 2ct's don't last very long

Conti Sport Attack's are excellent tires that can be had for cheap. they warm up quickly, grip well, and provide decent wet weather traction. like any single compound tire they wear out quickly

Dunlop Roadsmart's, I hated them

Bridgestone BT016's, I do not like these tires. The front is very skittish and will deflect off of just about any road irregularity. The set as a whole doesn't provide a whole lot of confidence and for tires that are "triple compound" they don't last long at all. I had the early models and the re-released newer variants that supposedly have different compounds, they were a little better. I dont recall really getting to experiment with different tire pressures, but I think I usually had these at 35psi front and back. I'm sure if I had them lower the handling characteristics would improve

Michelin Power Performance Cup, currently running only the front tire on Bumblebee and it is amazing so far, better than the supercorsa front. I want to try out a brand new set front and back

Michelin Pilot Power's, you're good, average, run-of-the-mill sport bike tires. they handle and grip well but don't last long. the mount up BEAUTIFULLY by the way

from personal experience I'd rather have a very grippy tire that doesn't last long versus something general purpose that doesn't grip the best. most of my riding is on hot sunny days anyway, my wet weather experience is based off those unpredictable houston showers
Old 05-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
Oskar_Z28

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Michelin Pilot Roads - I was a skeptic forever on "Sport Touring" Tires, but these are great. Handle anything you throw at them on the street dry or wet. Also have excellent milage. Not sure about track, but that is not where I ride the most....bike is FZ10.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
pbfoot

Bike(s):
1999 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCookie View Post
I just ditched a set of Michelin Power Sport 2CT due to severe front tire cupping. It was so bad I thought the front wheel bearings were bad. If you google Michelin power sport 2ct it tries to auto finish with front tire cupping so it is obviously a problem many are experiencing. I had a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2 spooned on and so far I love them.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement