MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
RUPNOK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Ducati GT1000
2010 Triumph Bonneville RIP

When do you throw in the towel?

I've got a LEO buddy, mid 60s, over weight, bad knee that I rebuilt the carbs on his Venture. I rode the bike out to the dealer to get it inspected for him and left for home. Got a 911 call that he layed it down going up his short, little bit steep driveway. He and his wife managed to right it before I called back. So when is it time to stop riding? He used to ride patrol in the day.
RUPNOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This woman ripped her wig off to use as a rally towel and that's the energy we need f NewsBot Sports 0 10-23-2019 10:02 AM
Judge let Paxton forgo towel in booking photo NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-04-2015 05:30 PM
HPD: Argument over towel leads to car wash shooting NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-26-2014 02:00 PM
I need a towel please BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-30-2007 08:26 PM
jesus on a towel pester Off Topic 13 10-22-2007 06:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

When my dad finally quit riding he said it came down to his reaction time. He just didnt feel like his reactions and reflexes were up to speed any longer, so he hung his keys up.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
8BALLER
dead man

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Suz DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
When my dad finally quit riding he said it came down to his reaction time. He just didnt feel like his reactions and reflexes were up to speed any longer, so he hung his keys up.
>>> same with me > there is a decreasing U where 59S & 77 join south of Victoria i was coming back from falfurrias ... i had "spiritedly"ridden the twisties around LAGATO so i was full of myself ... i rev'd and as i accessed the U ... i just flat missed my line ... i opted to stand the bike rather than lean >>> i left the turn at app 50mph ... barely missed the guard rail ... barely missed 3 or 4 trees ... kept bike >CBR 1000r upright ... finally stopped about 50+ yards in an overgrown field ... rode the bike out of the field and back up to 59/77 access ... rode home at about 65 mph >>> LAST TRIP SOUTH >>> sold off the bikes >>> INATTENTION KILLS > older guys don't focus well SLOW REACTIONS stem from lack of situational awareness >>> Im still riding bicycles in downtown HOUSTON AUSTIN SAN ANTONIO but that time is coming too
Old 04-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
When you start feeling uncomfortable and start questioning your abilities, then it's time.

Age has nothing to do with it... Ability to safely operate ANYTHING has everything to do with it.

I know 80+ year old's shredding corners and functioning like they are in their 40's. I also know physically challenged people who can still safely operate within their abilities.

It's a self diagnosed deal. If you noticed someone struggling, it could be a plethora of things happening, but it shouldn't cause you to be the one who determines their future. I wanted my dad to stop working on heavy equipment when he was in his 60's due to his health... But he started eating better and started taking his meds like he is supposed to and now he is working strong well into his 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Randyjaco
Randyjaco

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800ST
2014 Honda Rebel
2008 Versys 650

Send a message via AIM to Randyjaco Send a message via MSN to Randyjaco Send a message via Yahoo to Randyjaco
I will be 73 next month. I've been riding for about 60 years. My eyes, ears, reflexes, etc aren't as good as they used to be, but the quality of my bikes has gotten exponentially better over the years. So, I still ride. I don't take the chances I used to and have slowed down a bit. But I still love to ride and will continue until I can't do it anymore or I stop enjoying it.
Randy
Randyjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
pbfoot

Bike(s):
1999 Honda VFR800

At 57 I have good days and bad days on the bike. Some days I'm in the groove and other days I feel a little off. I usually cut my ride short on the off days.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
RC45

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
At 57 I have good days and bad days on the bike. Some days I'm in the groove and other days I feel a little off. I usually cut my ride short on the off days.
I think this is true for all ages - perhaps its just that as we age we use our common sense more.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:15 AM   #8
pbfoot

Bike(s):
1999 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I think this is true for all ages - perhaps its just that as we age we use our common sense more.
I recently changed bikes . It has been a steep learning curve getting used to the different steering geometry of the VFR. Muscle memory is hard to overcome.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Sounds like complacency and overconfidence (ego). He needs to go back to basics. Take some rider safety courses. Do a couple of track days. Etc.

Even pilots who have flown for 20 years need refresher courses sometimes. We don't just jump back in the plane and try for 100% after getting rusty.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP DS FI Restomod
1991 Bimota YB8
2008 KTM 250 (350) XC-F
1962 Ducati 98 Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
When you start feeling uncomfortable and start questioning your abilities, then it's time.

Age has nothing to do with it... Ability to safely operate ANYTHING has everything to do with it.

I know 80+ year old's shredding corners and functioning like they are in their 40's. I also know physically challenged people who can still safely operate within their abilities.

It's a self diagnosed deal. If you noticed someone struggling, it could be a plethora of things happening, but it shouldn't cause you to be the one who determines their future.
Well said. I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post
Sounds like complacency and overconfidence (ego). He needs to go back to basics. Take some rider safety courses. Do a couple of track days. Etc.

Even pilots who have flown for 20 years need refresher courses sometimes. We don't just jump back in the plane and try for 100% after getting rusty.
Winner, winner; chicken dinner.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement