MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
Dread6
BANNED

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Are There Any Carburetor Techs in here?

2007 Kawasaki Bruteforce 750

Sat for a year, now the family is wanting to get it up and running so they can sell it.

Initial Problem: Cranks but won't fire unless choke is all the way out. As soon as you give it throttle it dies. As long as it's not touched it will idle all day.

Fix: Order a Carburetor Rebuild kit from Kawasaki, one of the jets were clogged. Looked like dried sand inside.

2nd Problem: Only Fires up when you give it throttle and a little choke. Doesn't get better when warmed up but will fire up every time. Sound's like it is running on one cylinder.

How I know? I pulled out one of the 2 spark plugs to test for spark and each time, the engine fired up. The engine would run on either spark plug while showing good spark on the plug that was pulled. Engine sounds the same as with 1 spark plug out as it does with both in.

Initially I listen to the dealer and Adjusted both a/f screws all the way in the back out a 1 1/2 turns and it wouldn't run. While pulling the carb again some fuel leaked out from one of the ports into the throttle body. I adjusted the screw all the way in then back out 1/2 turn and she ran perfectly but smoked up their garage. Pushed the 4wheeler out side, and started putting it back together and now it runs like again.

7/13/18 Pulled the plugs, both were black. Cleaned them and reinstalled them. Pulled the carb 4 times adjusting the a/f 1/2 out each time so now Im 2 full turns out. FIres right up but still runs like its missing.

I read a thread online about a guy fixing the same issue by pouring a little gas into the carbs. Thinking back when I leaked gas inside it did run good, according to the family thats how it was suppose to sound. So I'm wondering if there is not enough fuel in the bowls to float the float??

Another thing I noticed is with starting fluid it runs smooth for a 30seconds or so and then it starts getting choppy.

Things Done:
Rebuilt Carburetor (double checked jets 7/13/18 and cleaned the ports again just incase)
Replaced Both Spark Plugs
Checked for spark good (extra coil on hand)
Check oil level good oil is still new looking but its a year old
Removed Fuel tank empty it out and poured 87 back in it
I don't think compression is an issue because it fires up too fast
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carburetor question nwall1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 12-05-2017 09:34 AM
Carburetor Help Chris199 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 02-04-2017 02:31 PM
Carburetor or EFI chet General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-21-2016 11:52 AM
wtb a carburetor syncronizer mxracer383 Want To Buy or Trade 2 07-27-2012 06:27 PM
How to size a carburetor? Jae Performance and Modifications 6 03-26-2012 04:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

A few things: pilot air jet is clogged, float level is too high, something not assembled correctly, air box/air filter is clogged.
Did you dunk the carb for at least 24 hours when you cleaned it?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Patrick what do you recommend soaking the carbs in if you dont have an ultrasonic cleaning set up. I have heard pine sol but havent had good results with that.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Pilot jets are underneath a metal plug that has to be removed first.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Dread6
BANNED

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
A few things: pilot air jet is clogged, float level is too high, something not assembled correctly, air box/air filter is clogged.
Did you dunk the carb for at least 24 hours when you cleaned it?
The air filter disintegrated so I never reinstalled the filter just the housing for it. It have been running it with no covers on it.

How do I adjust the float level? i took a bunch of pictures pre and post assembly to makes sure everything was put back properly. Overall it was easy just tedious. I can send pictures if need be or try to post them here.

I soaked in Chem Dip Carburetor Cleaner for at least 5hrs. I disassembled all it as much as I could except for the metal and springs for the butterfly valve. The container I had it set in could only cover 3/4 of it so I flipped it and let it set over night. So from around 9am - 10am until about 2pm-4pm it sat on one side. Then i flipped it and let it sit submerged again until 10am - 11am the next day, sprayed it with carb cleaner then dried it with shop towels before reassembling it and letting it sit covered for another week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Pilot jets are underneath a metal plug that has to be removed first.
I'm not a carb guy by any means, so I need more of a description.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Dread6
BANNED

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8962.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	101550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8977.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	101551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8978.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	101552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8992.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	101553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8880.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	101554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8960.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	101555  

Dread6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Need some wire jet cleaners.. All three of those jets need to be clean.. Make sure all lines are flushed as well or more junk in the gas may clog them again. Get a new fuel filter.. Letting a carburetor bike (especially older ones) sit is very bad.. All the little passageways need something run through them.. Wire or cleaner or both.. The little jet to the right that does not come out or unscrew in pic 4 likes to get clogged and can be a pain at times to unclog..
ducdodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Blow compressed air through all the ports? I had a pilot jet that so fkn tiny, the only thing that ended up clearing it up was a soak and compressed air. Also the internal passages could also be blocked.

You sure there is no water in the fuel? understand you poured it out and put new fuel in but that doesn't mean there isn't some residual, and considering water sinks in fuel... I had a few instances where it may idle and may rev once but otherwise wouldnt do much else.

Might as well do a compression check, wont hurt anything, is free, and would be good to know.

Valve lash?
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread6 View Post
The air filter disintegrated so I never reinstalled the filter just the housing for it. It have been running it with no covers on it.

How do I adjust the float level? i took a bunch of pictures pre and post assembly to makes sure everything was put back properly. Overall it was easy just tedious. I can send pictures if need be or try to post them here.

I soaked in Chem Dip Carburetor Cleaner for at least 5hrs. I disassembled all it as much as I could except for the metal and springs for the butterfly valve. The container I had it set in could only cover 3/4 of it so I flipped it and let it set over night. So from around 9am - 10am until about 2pm-4pm it sat on one side. Then i flipped it and let it sit submerged again until 10am - 11am the next day, sprayed it with carb cleaner then dried it with shop towels before reassembling it and letting it sit covered for another week.

I'm not a carb guy by any means, so I need more of a description.
Looks like your pilot jet screws are already uncovered.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
Patrick what do you recommend soaking the carbs in if you dont have an ultrasonic cleaning set up. I have heard pine sol but havent had good results with that.
It's cheap and works great

https://m.harborfreight.com/25-liter...not%20provided
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Normally you measure float with the flat edge of the carb.. Suppose to be so many mm higher than that edge.. I made my own measuring tool when I had to do it.. Not sure what the measurement for your carb is suppose to be though.. Never seen a carb that the float was so far off that it screwed anything up badly either.. Won't say it cant happen.. Just never seen one.
ducdodgers is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement