MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Secret document exposes Iran’s nuclear trigger

Quote:
From The Times
December 14, 2009

Secret document exposes Iran’s nuclear trigger

Confidential intelligence documents obtained by The Times show that Iran is working on testing a key final component of a nuclear bomb.

The notes, from Iran’s most sensitive military nuclear project, describe a four-year plan to test a neutron initiator, the component of a nuclear bomb that triggers an explosion. Foreign intelligence agencies date them to early 2007, four years after Iran was thought to have suspended its weapons programme.

An Asian intelligence source last week confirmed to The Times that his country also believed that weapons work was being carried out as recently as 2007 — specifically, work on a neutron initiator.

The technical document describes the use of a neutron source, uranium deuteride, which independent experts confirm has no possible civilian or military use other than in a nuclear weapon. Uranium deuteride is the material used in Pakistan’s bomb, from where Iran obtained its blueprint.

“Although Iran might claim that this work is for civil purposes, there is no civil application,” said David Albright, a physicist and president of the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington, which has analysed hundreds of pages of documents related to the Iranian programme. “This is a very strong indicator of weapons work.”

The documents have been seen by intelligence agencies from several Western countries, including Britain. A senior source at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirmed that they had been passed to the UN’s nuclear watchdog.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman said yesterday: “We do not comment on intelligence, but our concerns about Iran’s nuclear programme are clear. Obviously this document, if authentic, raises serious questions about Iran’s intentions.”

Responding to The Times’ findings, an Israeli government spokesperson said: “Israel is increasingly concerned about the state of the Iranian nuclear programme and the real intentions that may lie behind it.”

The revelation coincides with growing international concern about Iran’s nuclear programme. Tehran insists that it wants to build a civilian nuclear industry to generate power, but critics suspect that the regime is intent on diverting the technology to build an atomic bomb.

In September, Iran was forced to admit that it was constructing a secret uranium enrichment facility near the city of Qom. President Ahmadinejad then claimed that he wanted to build ten such sites. Over the weekend Manouchehr Mottaki, the Iranian Foreign Minister, said that Iran needed up to 15 nuclear power plants to meet its energy needs, despite the country’s huge oil and gas reserves.

Publication of the nuclear documents will increase pressure for tougher UN sanctions against Iran, which are due to be discussed this week. But the latest leaks in a long series of allegations against Iran will also be seized on by hawks in Israel and the US, who support a pre-emptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities before the country can build its first warhead.

Mark Fitzpatrick, senior fellow for non-proliferation at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, said: “The most shattering conclusion is that, if this was an effort that began in 2007, it could be a casus belli. If Iran is working on weapons, it means there is no diplomatic solution.”

The Times had the documents, which were originally written in Farsi, translated into English and had the translation separately verified by two Farsi speakers. While much of the language is technical, it is clear that the Iranians are intent on concealing their nuclear military work behind legitimate civilian research.

The fallout could be explosive, especially in Washington, where it is likely to invite questions about President Obama’s groundbreaking outreach to Iran. The papers provide the first evidence which suggests that Iran has pursued weapons studies after 2003 and may actively be doing so today — if the four-year plan continued as envisaged.

A 2007 US National Intelligence Estimate concluded that weapons work was suspended in 2003 and officials said with “moderate confidence” that it had not resumed by mid-2007. Britain, Germany and France, however, believe that weapons work had already resumed by then.

Western intelligence sources say that by 2003 Iran had already assembled the technical know-how it needed to build a bomb, but had yet to complete the necessary testing to be sure such a device would work. Iran also lacked sufficient fissile material to fuel a bomb and still does — although it is technically capable of producing weapons-grade uranium should its leaders take the political decision to do so.

The documents detail a plan for tests to determine whether the device works — without detonating an explosion leaving traces of uranium detectable by the outside world. If such traces were found, they would be taken as irreversible evidence of Iran’s intention to become a nuclear-armed power.

Experts say that, if the 2007 date is correct, the documents are the strongest indicator yet of a continuing nuclear weapons programme in Iran. Iran has long denied a military dimension to its nuclear programme, claiming its nuclear activities are solely focused on the production of energy for civilian use.

Mr Fitzpatrick said: “Is this the smoking gun? That’s the question people should be asking. It looks like the smoking gun. This is smoking uranium.”
Link

So what does everyone suggest we do? I seem to have mixed emotions and almost believe Israel can make their own decisions and we should stay out of besides maybe some access to some of the good bombs needed. The last thing we need is another war, but with Iran pushing as hard as they are it is inevitable... I've become very disallusioned with war in general though and just wish we could just stay out of it, but our constant meddling will make us very much involved (as usual).
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WATCH LIVE: President Obama to discuss Iran nuclear deal NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-15-2015 12:30 PM
President Obama to release statement on formal nuclear deal with Iran NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-14-2015 05:50 AM
intelligence says iran halted nuclear weapons pester Off Topic 0 12-03-2007 06:57 PM
N Korea helping Iran with nuclear testing CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 36 02-01-2007 11:48 PM
Iran bars 38 U.N. nuclear inspectors CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 4 01-22-2007 03:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Thermalser

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
FZ1, GSXR 750

Does anyone believe the Iranians are suicidal?

The dogs of war are barking again.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I have no idea what's in the mind of either Iran or for that matter N. Korea.

If they're playing a game of brinkmanship, what's their final goal in doing so?
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Diderich

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Iran has WMD?! We should attack immediately! Just like when Bush went into Iraq and found that huge cache of biological and nuclear weapons!
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

I think it's a big contest.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I think it's a big contest.
Are they going off length or girth?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I think the US would win that contest.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Send Cindy Sheehan over
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
1: There is a social and political rift growing in Iran. A quick way to "unify" a country, or to keep it from unraveling is to pick an enemy and beat your drum (see Germany).

2: There is a chance for Iran to become a serious power in the Middle East now that Iraq is out of the picture (or atleast the former Iraq). In order to become a serious power, you need serious to back it up. Nuclear capabilities is about as serious as it gets.

3: Iran is probably feeling a little on edge right now. The two countries on its western and eastern borders were invaded by it's #2 enemy. Guess who that is. The best (and worst, ironically) thing Iran can do to keep itself from becoming the next Iraq is to start swinging its tough talk stick.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

sand + heat = glass.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalser View Post
Does anyone believe the Iranians are suicidal?

The dogs of war are barking again.
Though I agree that the dogs of war are definitely wagging their tails with excitement, I truly wonder the intent of Ahmadinejad and the intent of the US, Russia, and China is in all of this. If Russia thought Iran was truly going to go after created a nuclear arsenal would they have supplied them with the nuclear reactors? I doubt it. Iran has as many reasons to oust the world of the Taliban and similar terrorist organizations as we do as their history is embedded with some pretty brutal wars with factions like the Taliban and grusome showdowns with Iraq. Iran, IMO, could and should be one of our most important allies in the wars we have chosen to fight since 9/11, but instead we have continually shunned Iran... why? What we don't hear about is how Iran was instrumental in the first part of the war we are fighting in Afghanistan and how their influence was imperative in setting up a new government.

Why demonize Iran? I wonder what the West, Russia, and even China have to gain by participating in the demonization of Iran? I don't know, maybe the hopes of gaining control of the worlds third largest oil reserves? Here's something else I've wondered: what if our government officials paid attention to the predictions of the coming economic storm as far back as ten or fifteen years ago and feeling the need to keep the politician entitlement afloat we set out on this Global War on Terrorism simply to fuel and fund our corrupt leadership and bail them out of the economic mistakes that have been made for years? What if indirect control by Western controlled leaders is the ultimate goal and it will be achieved at whatever expense necessary (the future profit would out weigh any expense)?

I could go on and on, but these are just questions I have not necessarily assertions I believe in. I do find it odd that we demonize them, but at the same time cannot tell whether they are acting the way the are as a response to our pushy ways. I could see us provoking Ahmadinejad enough to do it. Obviously I am very conflicted on this.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
Htownz

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Iran/Ahmadinejad must be villianized in some fashion. Whether it be a Jew-hater, terrorist, etc. Iran is the 4th largest exporter/prodcuer of Oil in the World. There is a lot of talk about the president/Iran trying to open thier own exchange, except against gold, as opposed to the USD. The only two exchanges currently reside in London and NYC. This is why you see Brittain and the US always side by side in this "coalition of the willing" The dollar would fall overnight if thier exchange is successfull. If they are painted as an eminent threat wrt thier nukes, having a preemptive strike is in the US/Brittain's best interest if they do not want thier economies to be heavily impacted.
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Its easy. We are in bed with a bunch of Jews and the Jews control the media, hate the Musilms.
I disagree with what that statement implies. The Jews don't hate Muslims any more than Christians or Buddhists hate Muslims, but rather we all despies the war mongering extremists that seem to represent many segments of Islam. Iran and Israel used to have a great relationship and somewhat could've been considered allies, but all of the meddling over the years from Western societies has created a large riff in whatever peace was in place. Even though they have one of the world's largest oil reserves, I can't fault them for wanting to go the nuclear power route in order to (1) conserve their most exported money maker so that it can continue to be exported and make money and (2) provide more reliable power in abundance across their country. Yes there is danger in Iran having nuclear material, but only because of our finger wagging ways.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
I disagree with what that statement implies. The Jews don't hate Muslims any more than Christians or Buddhists hate Muslims, but rather we all despies the war mongering extremists that seem to represent many segments of Islam. Iran and Israel used to have a great relationship and somewhat could've been considered allies, but all of the meddling over the years from Western societies has created a large riff in whatever peace was in place. Even though they have one of the world's largest oil reserves, I can't fault them for wanting to go the nuclear power route in order to (1) conserve their most exported money maker so that it can continue to be exported and make money and (2) provide more reliable power in abundance across their country. Yes there is danger in Iran having nuclear material, but only because of our finger wagging ways.
Have you any idea how deep in bed we are with Jews? We pretty much fight all thier wars for them. How many Israeli soldiers are there in Afghanistan/Iraq?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Do any of y'all think Israel will strike Iran's nuclear facilities sometime in the next 12-24 months?
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #19
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
Have you any idea how deep in bed we are with Jews? We pretty much fight all thier wars for them. How many Israeli soldiers are there in Afghanistan/Iraq?

Can't see video at work so no idea what it's about, but tis irrelevant.

I'm not arguing how far under the covers we are with Israeli's/Jews, what I am advocating is that a lot of these problems we have started weren't because of Israel but rather or own greed and need to stick our nose in others business. The US and Britain had a 30 year reign in Iran through various puppets who gave us oil for cheap amongst many other things and when they lost control they even tried to stage a coup. If you read about Iran you will find that it has the second largest Jewish population in the Middle East and you hear less about suicide bombings and rockets blazing there then in Israel. In Iran, it seems the Muslims and Jews get along mostly fine (at least in comparison to other parts of the world). If we were so in bed with the Jews and Israel was so concerned about its people and Ahmadinejad was so dead set on the destruction of Zionism and convinced the holocaust didn't happen then why does he put up with some 25,000-35,000 plus Jews in his country and why hasn't the US and Israel made claims to mistreatment, persecution, and mass slaughters of the Jewish people inside Iran in order to attack? Because the world would know it to be a lie. Sometimes I wonder how much we make up about other countries and their supposed funding and harboring of terrorists/ism.

Just because the US is in bed with Israel and sees it as a strategical advantage for its future plans in the Middle East doesn't mean we are in bed with the Jews. Israel is merely a , IMO, that we give a bunch of money to simply for the strategic positioning. And yes, I do have some interesting thoughts and theories about this just as everyone else does.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
Can't see video at work so no idea what it's about, but tis irrelevant.

I'm not arguing how far under the covers we are with Israeli's/Jews, what I am advocating is that a lot of these problems we have started weren't because of Israel but rather or own greed and need to stick our nose in others business. The US and Britain had a 30 year reign in Iran through various puppets who gave us oil for cheap amongst many other things and when they lost control they even tried to stage a coup. If you read about Iran you will find that it has the second largest Jewish population in the Middle East and you hear less about suicide bombings and rockets blazing there then in Israel. In Iran, it seems the Muslims and Jews get along mostly fine (at least in comparison to other parts of the world). If we were so in bed with the Jews and Israel was so concerned about its people and Ahmadinejad was so dead set on the destruction of Zionism and convinced the holocaust didn't happen then why does he put up with some 25,000-35,000 plus Jews in his country and why hasn't the US and Israel made claims to mistreatment, persecution, and mass slaughters of the Jewish people inside Iran in order to attack? Because the world would know it to be a lie. Sometimes I wonder how much we make up about other countries and their supposed funding and harboring of terrorists/ism.

Just because the US is in bed with Israel and sees it as a strategical advantage for its future plans in the Middle East doesn't mean we are in bed with the Jews. Israel is merely a , IMO, that we give a bunch of money to simply for the strategic positioning. And yes, I do have some interesting thoughts and theories about this just as everyone else does.
Good Point. Many people think it is about hating Jews, rather it is really about hating Zionism. When this guy had his little "holocaust conference" in Iran, many orthodox Rabbis attended which shocked many people. There is a big difference between Judaism, and what Israel actually does. But....watch the vid when you get a chance.

Advertisement