MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Fence dispute with a neighbor advice.

About three months ago we bought another house in Atascocita, and we got lucky we ended up with good neighbors on either side, but not so with one on the back, a portion of the fence on their side is all broken, it had a couple of boards broken when we moved in, but between their dog and mine those two morphed into at least six broken ones.

Almost two months ago I was working in the back yard when I noticed the girl that lives there, I was polite when I asked her about the fence and I offered to get some boards to get it fixed but she told me to talk to her boyfriend.

Next day I stopped at their house but no one was home, so I left a note taped to their door with my name and number and again offering help in fixing it.

TWO weeks passed by and no response, so I stopped by again and he was home, I told him and he just said that he already had the material to fix it and he was going to to do in the weekend. BTW he wasn't aggressive or anything, but he was very dismissive, live he was getting a BJ and wanted to get back to it or something, all in all, I didn't like his demeanor, I must add.

Through HCAD I found out some company with a very cryptic name owns the property and is based in San Fran CAULIFORNEA, and googling the company I came up with nothing, no phone number or email address.

I called the HOA (which by the way, has a lot of complains) and they told me they can't help with this situation, And straight off the bat, without me asking for it, told me they cannot provide me with the company's number.

Today I will send a certified letter to the company that owns the property, but is there any other recourse on my side?

Please keep in mind, I was never aggressive or obnoxious with these people, I even offered help so I can't understand why they won't even try to fix their fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PD: Neighbor dispute leads to fatal shooting NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 05-07-2014 02:00 PM
Cars Smash my Neighbor's Fence 5 times this year. lanzer913 Off Topic 5 12-10-2009 01:23 PM
neighbor fence question mekrew Off Topic 46 05-09-2009 03:59 PM
How to aproach neighbor about fence costs? dbuck Off Topic 51 12-15-2008 09:35 PM
Domestic Dispute...laugh it up. txferrari Off Topic 26 07-18-2007 12:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125
1995 Suzuki GS600 Katana (Sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Sold)

Build your own fence up against their fence
WbDDoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Just fix up your side. If it's the type of fence that has sections alternating per side then just fill in the voids on your side to make it a solid fence for you. Easier to trim the grass too.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Got-Busa?

This is easy, it's a rental and he (current tenant) doesn't give two ts about the fence. You are better off letting him know because of your dogs that if it's not fixed in ___ time that you are going to do it yourself. When time comes and it's not fixed then do it yourself and enjoy the neighbors that care..
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
silverfudge
superfast jellyfish

Experience: 1 year
Get a crazy rottweiler. He'll have the fence up in a day.
silverfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
JetBuilt
Repeat Offender

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Send a message via AIM to JetBuilt
Build a new fence on your side. You'll only see the pretty new fence and he'll still have the piece of fence to look at every day. It doesn't sound like you'll get much out of the tenants. . .handle it yourself and move on with your day.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

I can believe the HOA just flat out would not do anything. We have "neighbor friendly" fences...half myside, half their side. Its in our deed restrictions we have to keep our side up. My back fence faces a road so its all mine to fix.

Check your deed restrictions and contact HOA again. I believe its pretty standard you have to keep your fence up. But the certified letter to the Lease Company is good too. Give them 10 days from receipt of letter to fix ... if they dont get the materials, fix it yourself, bill them for materials and time. If they dont pay take them to small claims court...and hit them for what they owe plus a days work you had to take off. A $10 fence repair just got up to around $500-600 bucks lol
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Just fix up your side. If it's the type of fence that has sections alternating per side then just fill in the voids on your side to make it a solid fence for you. Easier to trim the grass too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Build a new fence on your side. You'll only see the pretty new fence and he'll still have the piece of fence to look at every day. It doesn't sound like you'll get much out of the tenants. . .handle it yourself and move on with your day.
Im with these guys. Either just fix the existing fence up yourself, or build new inside of the existing fence on your property line. They are renters, so they wont have anything invested in the fence, and I doubt an out of state holding company will care if the HOA isnt pushing.
Just do it your way and move on. You know what they say about fencing making good neighbors, right?

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I can believe the HOA just flat out would not do anything. We have "neighbor friendly" fences...half myside, half their side. Its in our deed restrictions we have to keep our side up. My back fence faces a road so its all mine to fix.

Check your deed restrictions and contact HOA again. I believe its pretty standard you have to keep your fence up. But the certified letter to the Lease Company is good too. Give them 10 days from receipt of letter to fix ... if they dont get the materials, fix it yourself, bill them for materials and time. If they dont pay take them to small claims court...and hit them for what they owe plus a days work you had to take off. A $10 fence repair just got up to around $500-600 bucks lol
A lot of HOAs only care about what can be seen from the street
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2017 Terracraft Super Trike
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I have them same situation with a neighbor on the back side of yard. I ended up building a fence up against the one the refused to split with me. They were always looking thru while we would be outside and the fence was in bad shape, so I took old plywood from my shop and nailed to old fence, then built the new one up to it so they couldn't see thru and went 8' up instead of the 6' original height. So if the lazy ever removes his crappy fence he has more cleaning up to do. Its been 1.5 years now and its still there.
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

Mh to help solve your fence problems.... Lol.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Not it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Busa? View Post
This is easy, it's a rental and he (current tenant) doesn't give two ts about the fence. You are better off letting him know because of your dogs that if it's not fixed in ___ time that you are going to do it yourself. When time comes and it's not fixed then do it yourself and enjoy the neighbors that care..
True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
A lot of HOAs only care about what can be seen from the street
Some not all....

Id file it with the HOA and set up an appointment to come out and meet with you to look at it as being not up to code. Then they can have a letter sent to the owner, then the letter from the attourney

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

What side are the planks on?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
What side are the planks on?
His, of course.

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Yeah, that sucks. Just buy the pickets and nail 'em up on your side.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
paniro187

Bike(s):
2004 zx10r widow maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
About three months ago we bought another house in Atascocita, and we got lucky we ended up with good neighbors on either side, but not so with one on the back, a portion of the fence on their side is all broken, it had a couple of boards broken when we moved in, but between their dog and mine those two morphed into at least six broken ones.

Almost two months ago I was working in the back yard when I noticed the girl that lives there, I was polite when I asked her about the fence and I offered to get some boards to get it fixed but she told me to talk to her boyfriend.

Next day I stopped at their house but no one was home, so I left a note taped to their door with my name and number and again offering help in fixing it.

TWO weeks passed by and no response, so I stopped by again and he was home, I told him and he just said that he already had the material to fix it and he was going to to do in the weekend. BTW he wasn't aggressive or anything, but he was very dismissive, live he was getting a BJ and wanted to get back to it or something, all in all, I didn't like his demeanor, I must add.

Through HCAD I found out some company with a very cryptic name owns the property and is based in San Fran CAULIFORNEA, and googling the company I came up with nothing, no phone number or email address.

I called the HOA (which by the way, has a lot of complains) and they told me they can't help with this situation, And straight off the bat, without me asking for it, told me they cannot provide me with the company's number.

Today I will send a certified letter to the company that owns the property, but is there any other recourse on my side?

Please keep in mind, I was never aggressive or obnoxious with these people, I even offered help so I can't understand why they won't even try to fix their fence.
yo leo i'm in atascocita too. i'm in the walden on lake houston subdivision......hit me up.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
yo leo i'm in atascocita too. i'm in the walden on lake houston subdivision......hit me up.
Will do Charles!

BTW, I wonder i I should make some "art" on the pickets that will show to his side....you know....like a middle finger.....

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
Flip Flop

Member Garage

Had the same problem with the rental house one one side. The solution was building my own fence.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

We have loser neighbors to the rear and a vacant house to the left. The vacant one is owned but not lived in for the fast few years. No idea why. I just built the fence myself without asking for from the two sides we have neighbors
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement