MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
shaokang
Head narwhal in charge

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
None :(
05 636 RIP
13 675R Daytona.

MBAs in Oil & Gas

Hello MH,

Question for y'all who work in O&G. I'm thinking about pursing an MBA, and branching out into the industry. I've had a few years of experience in operations in the chemicals industry, with an an engineering background. Couple questions for y'all in the industry. I'm primarily shooting for the O&G majors, and looking to attend a higher ranked school. open to any advice.
1. Do you have an MBA, and do many high(er) ups have them in your company?
2. What schools do they recruit from? What schools did they go to?
3. What roles do they have?
4. Any engineers with MBA's? How's your experience?

Any help is appreciated.
shaokang is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sabine Oil & Gas files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-15-2015 11:20 AM
Gas in Oil?! usmarine2009 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 02-09-2012 04:22 PM
gas in oil pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-04-2011 10:20 AM
Gas Smell in Oil Pyrofallout Performance and Modifications 14 04-12-2009 09:25 PM
offshore oil & gas piping designer Petro Off Topic 13 01-20-2009 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
40Arpent
Cajun Proud

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sears Free Spirit wit da fat slick on da back

What's your undergraduate degree in?
40Arpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

How many years experience do you have and what is/are previous/current titles? Also, more importantly, where are you trying to go? An MBA is always helpful. However, they are also time consuming and expensive. You won't necessarily get the job you want bc of an MBA but you will get a bump in pay for it. That bump, is normally between 10-20%. You can easily get similar bumps based on performance alone IMO.

With that in mind, I'd recommend looking at an MBA as something you want to do for personal development and not just moving up the ladder or a pay increase.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Not in oil and gas, but i am currently doing an MBA. If interested, PM me, for us to talk. I can tell you about my experience for deciding a school, different programs, and my experience with the program so far.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
shaokang
Head narwhal in charge

Bike(s):
05 636 RIP
13 675R Daytona.

Thanks for the feedback. ileono918, PM sent. My undergrad was in mechanical. So far I've had assignments in operations, and just recently went into plant management. Looking to leverage that experience to move onto commercial assignments, business development, account management etc or stay in plant management. Seems that lots of senior managers have MBA's, and all the new job postings are listing it as a preferred requirement.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Yrs?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Engineer buddy who goes on recruiting trips to colleges said one of the most common questions is whether our Co payed for MBA

All these young engineers wanting upper mgmt w/o putting time in on actually working engineering, lol
Old 04-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Having a degree only opens doors. In some circles, having a low handicap in golf will advance your career faster than any degree. IMO, do the MBA if you are genuinely interested in business management. People either look at investing in an advanced degree as a useful tool to let them do their job better, or as a grease to turn the corporate gears.

Nothing wrong with either approach. I've seen folks succeed either ways... and I've seen cases where neither was of any real help. It's your career. Whichever makes you can't wait to get up in the morning and go to work is the way to go.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I worked for operators for 8 years. Nobody had MBAs. Now I work for an investment bank surviving the energy industry, everyone has MBAs.

So if you want to go work for a big, public operator...it's not going to help. If you want to work for a small, private equity backed, operator it might help you.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #11
shaokang
Head narwhal in charge

Bike(s):
05 636 RIP
13 675R Daytona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
I worked for operators for 8 years. Nobody had MBAs. Now I work for an investment bank surviving the energy industry, everyone has MBAs.

So if you want to go work for a big, public operator...it's not going to help. If you want to work for a small, private equity backed, operator it might help you.
So far I have three years of work experience, but lets just say that I've got some motivators (actual people) willing to support me and put me through an MBA. It could end up not costing as much. I'm at the point where I don't have much going on in my life, other than career, and I'd rather use this time to "get this out of the way". I agree that in some career paths, it's very helpful, others, doesn't mean too much. I'm shooting for at most a top 15 program, if not I won't pursue one on my own dime.

Advertisement