MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Htownz

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

What is Easter?

Someone forwarded this to me earlier. Very interesting and concise build up, showing the Easter Celebration at 9:07 mark. Any thoughts?

Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No plans for Easter?? dane_cbr600 Events, Meets and Rides 13 04-24-2011 03:14 PM
Happy Easter eltejano Off Topic 0 04-24-2011 02:37 PM
Easter Bluebonnets Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-11-2007 07:06 PM
Happy Easter to ALL!!! 50cc chick Off Topic 13 04-08-2007 06:18 PM
DOing a Christ on Easter? I think not ninjaxx General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 03-08-2006 08:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
This from religulous?
Never heard of that movie till now. Not a big fan of Bill Mahr but def. looks interesting.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
If GB were still here, he wouldn't bother to watch that video either.
Soo many people get angry when you challenge their faith and ask them to be logical for a few minutes.
Not me though.

Happy Easter!
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
If GB were still here, he wouldn't bother to watch that video either.
Soo many people get angry when you challenge their faith and ask them to be logical for a few minutes.
Not me though.

Happy Easter!
What's ironic is that I do beleive in and the prophets that were sent to the world. I beleive man has really distorted many of the original teachings/principles in order to discredit the idea of overall.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Diderich

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

neat.

at about 8 minutes they start talking about the resurrection though...They say on Dec 22nd the sun dies, (stops moving south) and holds steady for 3 days in the sign of the cross. Then it starts moving north again.

All true, but why then, pin the death and rebirth on good friday/easter? Why suddenly now screw up the astrology, when everything else was so perfect? And easter is a good bit away from the spring equinox that they try and pin it on in the video. They say that the spring equinox is where good finally overcomes evil, but that's not what easter is about.

I did like the three kings part, though. It would be just like to set up the universe to prophesize Jesus. Use the sky like a giant stained glass window.
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
neat.

at about 8 minutes they start talking about the resurrection though...They say on Dec 22nd the sun dies, (stops moving south) and holds steady for 3 days in the sign of the cross. Then it starts moving north again.

All true, but why then, pin the death and rebirth on good friday/easter? Why suddenly now screw up the astrology, when everything else was so perfect? And easter is a good bit away from the spring equinox that they try and pin it on in the video. They say that the spring equinox is where good finally overcomes evil, but that's not what easter is about.

I did like the three kings part, though. It would be just like to set up the universe to prophesize Jesus. Use the sky like a giant stained glass window.
It appears that it is more around the Spring Equinox, sliding from mid-late March thru early April. I would think that good overcoming evil may be illustrated through longer days, alluding to the idea that resurrection was a triumphant occasion.

I look at Jesus more of a prophet. All the changes made later (council of Nicea) that man interjected were not part of the original teachings, including all this talk about the son/sun. External groups/forces who have worshipped the sun for years have always had power/clout in all aspects of society. In any event the video is eye-opening.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
It appears that it is more around the Spring Equinox, sliding from mid-late March thru early April. I would think that good overcoming evil may be illustrated through longer days, alluding to the idea that resurrection was a triumphant occasion.
My point is, why would christians move what is being presented as a winter solstice concept to the spring equinox? It doesn't make sense to do so.

Oh, here is another interesting article along the lines of Easter.

http://www.cbcg.org/should_christian...ate_easter.htm
Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

I'm pretty sure the easter bunny is ron jeremy in a suit.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
My point is, why would christians move what is being presented as a winter solstice concept to the spring equinox? It doesn't make sense to do so.
I see what you mean. It just seems too man-made if anything.

Quote:

Good read. It hits my inquiry right on the money:
"a true Christian can never mix what is godly with what is pagan"
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMouth View Post
Easter is all about the Easter Bunny.. Duh... here's a joke. Why does the Easter Bunny hide its eggs?? Because it doesn't want anyone to know that it sleeps with chickens.. Lol.....
when you get rebanned, days like today will be why. now, go get me nasty pics of hot chicks doing nasty things, or I won't save you.

anywho, the easter bunny is here to remind you to be safe with your easter fireworks. and he sells toilet paper at a high profit margin for those who try and eat a whole choco bunny then drink vodka.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:

Did you watch the entire video. He explains it as the triumph of good (the sun) over evil (night) as at the spring equinox the day is finally longer than the night. Your desire for astrological symbolism is still satisfied with the equinox aspect of Easter.

I will live a better life through my faith in Christ and my treatment of others will improve. I do not espouse the religious zealousness that seems to be catching the news recently and will lay my life down to oppose it.

For me religion answers my ultimate question "why?" As in why should I care, what is the purpose of life, the universe and everything? If I am wrong and there is no then there will be no harm in my actions and if I was worshiping the wrong deity I am sure he/she/it/'cthulu will accept my worship as to said deity, else I really don't care what I go to as I will have plenty of friends accompanying me to that special place.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Easter is named after an Anglo-Saxon Goddess.
Way older dude. Way, way older. Pre-Babylonian. Probably pre-Egyptian old kingdom as well.
"Some called the Mother Goddess “ISHTAR” (originally pronounced “Easter”).[9] In other lands, she was called Eostre, Astarte, Ostera, and Eastre"
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Did you watch the entire video. He explains it as the triumph of good (the sun) over evil (night) as at the spring equinox the day is finally longer than the night. Your desire for astrological symbolism is still satisfied with the equinox aspect of Easter.
I watched the whole thing, and I thought that connection was weak. Easter isn't the celebration of good over evil. Its the celebration of resurrection which supposedly ALSO occurs on December 25th, astronomically speaking, according to the video.

Here's another joke. Jesus rose from the grave on easter and ascended to heaven. He and St. Peter were reminiscing and St. Peter said, "Hey I never saw you do your walking on water thing, mind showing me?"

Jesus said, "Sure no problem", stepped into a small pond and sank to his waist.

"I don't understand. This worked fine back on earth" he said.

St Peter said, "Well, maybe it's because back on earth, you didn't have holes in your feet."
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
dude, you made me spit on my monitor...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
LMAO ummm well only if his is tryin to be the bunny

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Way older dude. Way, way older. Pre-Babylonian. Probably pre-Egyptian old kingdom as well.
"Some called the Mother Goddess “ISHTAR” (originally pronounced “Easter”).[9] In other lands, she was called Eostre, Astarte, Ostera, and Eastre"
she was also called moom yea moom the goddess of fertility bout the time of baal, easter reallly has nothing to do with light and dark remember its BS since we spend 9 months in the womb(is it punishing us because we were concieved in sin?) where its dark many of the things we take for granted within the religous definitions of life are nothing more than a bastardization of something that came before and was adopted or used to maintan control and keep the populace happy christmas, easter, passover, its all a usurptaion of an earlier belief that was incorperated into the christian religous sect by Constitine during the Council of Nicea and Ramos, Constitine told the gents what he wanted in the bible, and that was as bespoke the law of the land and so it was, the lord had spoken thru the Emporer Constitine and made clear the manifestation of the lord our on earth and no man should he be the most high or the most base of all idividuals disagree and make hertiacal mouthings and speach to abbrogate his word the word of , and yes before you ask I was infact trained by the roman catholic church.

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
I watched the whole thing, and I thought that connection was weak. Easter isn't the celebration of good over evil. Its the celebration of resurrection which supposedly ALSO occurs on December 25th, astronomically speaking, according to the video.
Yeah, the whole video is weak. December the 25th was a convention that started long after most of the deities listed. If he had said the winter solstice though it would not have been as piquing for his taste.

I think the real reason for the date of Easter and Christmas isn't that they are the dates of the celebrated events, but rather the churches attempt to absorb pagan festivals into the frame work of Christian thought and make Christianity more palatable to the locals. This would be another hole in the video's premise and one he would not have mentioned.

Advertisement