MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2020, 11:04 PM   #1
TaiMc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Oil/Oil Filter change & Chain Clean/Lube on 2018' Ninja 400

Since "The Coronas" has arrived, there's not much to do socially. I figured I would give my Bae some tender love and care by changing her oil/oil filter and cleaning her chain, after that storm I rode through recently!

Hope this helps our Ninja 400 owners out there

Task #1: changed Vert's oil:

1.) Rear Paddock stand:

2.) Removed the lower left fairing (3 bolt/screw thingies) that expose the oil filter:

3.) Removed bottom plug:

4.)
Used the PT (Performance Tool) filter wrench to loosen it:

5.) Video of how easy the oil filter was to remove after using PT (Performance Tool Oil filter wrench):

6.) Stock Replacement filter #:

7.) Installing the new filter (oiled the gasket/o-ring; hand screwed the filter on and tightened it ; used the PT wrench tool to tighten it):

8.) Put the lower plug back on:

9.) Re-installed the lower fairing:

10.) Added oil to the reservoir. Cranked the bike and let it idle for 5 min. Turned it off and let it sit (allowing the oil to fully saturate the oil filter and the engine. I had to add more oil and this is the final result):

(let me know if yall think that I've added too much oil. IN this picture the bike is off and has sat for about 10 minutes, after being cranked)

-----------------
Task #2 Cleaned & Lubed:
Prep:

Cleaned:

Video of the chain after using PJ1 Lube:
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to clean chain lube off wheels AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-13-2013 10:54 AM
How to Clean Chain and Lube? SaidNoJuanEver How To's and Q & A's 23 11-19-2012 07:42 AM
Clean and lube the chain skmart2 How To's and Q & A's 34 05-16-2008 12:38 PM
Oil Change, Tire Pressure, Chain Lube... etc..... dotcom General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 10-23-2005 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2020, 01:06 AM   #2
Silent

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Yamaha Fz07
Not yet

Quick question does your chain lube fling off? Like a lot? Asking to see if I need to switch mine or they all do that
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 03:02 AM   #3
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
Quick question does your chain lube fling off? Like a lot? Asking to see if I need to switch mine or they all do that
The first time I cleaned and lubed my chain I put too much of it. The instructions indicate to immediately wipe off the excess (you will have too much) as they tell you to apply it twice (full revolution).

I did not wipe the extra off and man it flung all over my rear rim; just caked everywhere. Also, the first time I took it to get maintenanced, the dealership also put too much of the lube. SO much so that the next day there was a puddle of it dripping underneath my bike.

This time, I took that silver metal piece off that shields part of the chain so that i could get to the plastic piece that the chain sorta rests on. The plastic piece is like a "guard" for the chain. Well when you spray the chain to clean it, if you don't clean that plastic guard, grim, and lube and cleaner will all accumulate there. I just figured this out this time around.

SO I was able to clean that plastic guard and that stopped any "drippage".

But I'll make sure to check and see if it covers my rear rim after a couple of rides.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
pbfoot

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 ZRX1200R

Good job. Your dedication shows with the matching fingernail polish.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Good job. Your dedication shows with the matching fingernail polish.
Thanks!

ALWAYS! I always put a fresh coat of some shade of green polish before I ride and/or when I work on my bike lol. It's my thing. I gotta match Bae.
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Lindz

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG
2009 Suzuki S40 custom cafe racer

I hope you put oil in the filter before you cranked the bike!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
I hope you put oil in the filter before you cranked the bike!
LOL ofc!

After I drained the oil and placed the new filter in (added oil to the o-ring of the filter before installing, and poured just a little of it in the filter), I added 1.5 quarts into the reservoir (I followed the Ninja 400 Manual to spec and was not instructed to pour any amount of oil into the filter before installing it).

Then cleaned/lubed my chain while I still had the rear paddock stand in use.

After I finished the cleaning/lubing, I took the bike out and cranked it so that the oil could circulate through the engine and the oil filter. I checked the oil level after it sat for a few minutes, saw that it was low (didn't even reach the lowest tick on the level indicator) and then added the rest of the oil and a bit more from the 3rd bottle.

And that's what gave me my current oil level, which is just under the highest tick mark.

Last edited by TaiMc; 03-22-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

nicely done If you are switching to an entirely new oil I like to drain it from as many places possible, which would include the oil cooler and lines, and leaning the bike over to the left and right to let oil drip out from all the places inside the motor
Old 03-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Nice ,that ninja is lookin good!

I also did some chain and cable maintenance today while it rained.

I use heater grade kerosene(best chain cleaner I’ve used so far & safe on O ring chains) and a grunge brush to get em clean then put lube afterwards. Also I’ll cut a nice sized piece of cardboard box to stuff behind the chain and in front of the tire to keep any lube/cleaner off the tire.
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloman View Post

I use heater grade kerosene(best chain cleaner Iíve used so far & safe on O ring chains) and a grunge brush to get em clean then put lube afterwards. Also Iíll cut a nice sized piece of cardboard box to stuff behind the chain and in front of the tire to keep any lube/cleaner off the tire.
+1 on kerosene, I take the chain off completely and reinstall with a new rivet link
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #11
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
nicely done If you are switching to an entirely new oil I like to drain it from as many places possible, which would include the oil cooler and lines, and leaning the bike over to the left and right to let oil drip out from all the places inside the motor
Ooo! Excellent suggestion! I'll try it next time. I hope I can lean it to right with no issue. Do you just sit on your bike and lean it that way?

I assume the left side will be okay with the kickstand.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #12
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloman View Post

I use heater grade kerosene(best chain cleaner Iíve used so far & safe on O ring chains) and a grunge brush to get em clean then put lube afterwards. Also Iíll cut a nice sized piece of cardboard box to stuff behind the chain and in front of the tire to keep any lube/cleaner off the tire.
Thank you! I try to keep her looking legit at all times lol!

Lots of guys I know use kerosene to clean their chain. I use the Motul Cleaner for my chain, it works nicely as well. I also use the Stockton Chain Brush.

I like that idea about the cardboard box! I just use newspaper under the bike as the PJ1 Black Label Lube i use has this nifty spout that allows the material to be placed directly on the chain (no overspray).
Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #13
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
+1 on kerosene, I take the chain off completely and reinstall with a new rivet link
Haha! Now you getting too extra for me...maybe one day when I get skilled enough, it'll be fun to do.

How easy/difficult is it to remove your chain and to re-install and adjust it? I'm assuming you would need to follow spec in your manual?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
diggler

Trackdays: 10+

Nicely done, I would also replace any crush washer on the oil drain plug. This gets overlooked all the time and leaks might occur.
As far as for the chain lube, it should always be applied to a "hot" chain so it will stick and not fly off. A short 5-10 minute ride will get your chain warm enough for most lubes to adhere to it nicely
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1 (Street Bike)
2017 Honda Grom
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)

Member Garage

+1 for Kerosene, been using it for the last few years. CHEAP and the best!

Honda actually calls to use it in their service manual.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMc View Post
Ooo! Excellent suggestion! I'll try it next time. I hope I can lean it to right with no issue. Do you just sit on your bike and lean it that way?

I assume the left side will be okay with the kickstand.
nope I just get on the right side of the bike (with it not on stands of course) and lean it towards me while im sitting on the ground at varying degrees til oil nearly stops dripping out. it being leaned on its kickstand on the left side is usually good enough
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMc View Post
Haha! Now you getting too extra for me...maybe one day when I get skilled enough, it'll be fun to do.

How easy/difficult is it to remove your chain and to re-install and adjust it? I'm assuming you would need to follow spec in your manual?
rivet master links are simple but can be installed incorrectly by crushing down the rivet too much and pinching the chain or not crushing them down enough. I use a pair of calipers to measure the chain width across the base plates to give an idea of how far to rivet down the master link and of course the proper chain riveting tool kit that I bought from cycle gear. chain removal and installation is simple, I like to give it a little more slack than the service manual calls for. I think I adjust til theres about an inch to 1.5 inches of free play on the side above the swingarm, just be weary about the chain tightening up when torquing down the wheel axle bolt
Old 03-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #18
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Thank yall so much for the feedback and great advice!
Liked this post:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
Silent

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Yamaha Fz07
Not yet

Quote:
rivet master links are simple but can be installed incorrectly by crushing down the rivet too much and pinching the chain or not crushing them down enough. I use a pair of calipers to measure the chain width across the base plates to give an idea of how far to rivet down the master link and of course the proper chain riveting tool kit that I bought from cycle gear. chain removal and installation is simple, I like to give it a little more slack than the service manual calls for. I think I adjust til theres about an inch to 1.5 inches of free play on the side above the swingarm, just be weary about the chain tightening up when torquing down the wheel axle bolt
I recently changed the chain on my bike and also used a caliper when it came to the rivets. Wasn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be, it just takes time and patience.
I can't see myself doing it every week though as I think gixxerguy86 is doing.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Click image for larger version