MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #41
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

So then, you're saying it's all the millenials fault?

Cuz that's what I'm hearing.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JLo has a new species of water mite named after her NewsBot Entertainment 0 07-17-2014 11:00 AM
supressors now OK for hunting game species urbanXJ Off Topic 7 03-30-2012 07:28 AM
MEN ARE THE SAME, NO MATTER WHAT SPECIES Jay Off Topic 20 09-09-2009 04:18 PM
Previously extinct species brought back to life tkblank Off Topic 14 02-01-2009 03:48 PM
New Species of bird found in NOLA BoostJunkie Off Topic 10 04-27-2006 09:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #42
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDane View Post
Sorry for being late to the conversation.

Y'all aren't thinking this through by just blaming millennials and their "bubble-wrapped childhoods." The motorcyle sales drop off is due the direction our entire society is going, Gen Xers included (sorry, yall aren't perfect).

The average millennial income (age 22-35) is $35k a year. You all should know well that does not allow for much hobby money with where today's living expenses are. Motorcycling gives us an adrenaline rush- aka a dopamine dump. The millenials are able to get that same dopamine dump by playing video games and through social media. I get it- it's sad as , but they're still fullfilling their needs by doing it this way (and at a much cheaper cost). If they are not "gamers" they still spend their time outside, but just like the article stated, they prefer biking and hiking. Why is that? Again, restricted income. I have plenty of friends who want to join the sport, they just simply can't afford it. We all know that motorcycles aren't cheap. Replacing gear constantly isn't cheap. And maintenance isn't getting any cheaper (Even when you do it yourself). Look at what the Grom did to Honda's sales. They made a fun, affordable bike that was perfect for college kids and hipsters, and the millenials took it and ran with it.

Then there's the reality that a vast majority of motorcyclists are buying motorcycles used and abused off of Craigslist- not new models off the showroom floor. Second hand motorcycles aren't going to keep an entire industry going. Especially when they aren't being purchased at dealerships. If you guys want to save the industry, we need Gen Xers to start buying new motorcycles from local dealerships. After that, they need to find a non-motorcyclist friend and get them to buy a new bike from a dealership. Can't afford it? Then how do you get off accusing a generation in the lowest income bracket that this is their fault? Baby Boomers left a gap, and Gen Xers need to step up- not skip ahead to blaming millennials.

Having trouble convincing your friends? Maybe it's because we all know how up riding on the streets are nowadays. EVERYONE has their phone sitting in their lap while driving and couldn't give a about safe driving. The fear of being rear ended is much more prominent in today's society versus the Baby Boomer's generation. So people now have easier access to dopamine, at a cheaper cost, in controlled environments. People will risk breaking a leg mountain biking before risking some asshat rear ending them and permanently disfiguring or killing them.

Obviously there are a multitude of reasons for the industry to be on the decline. Look at the broader picture instead of just jumping on this bullshit, "Millenials are ruining everything" bandwagon.

*Rant over*
I really don't blame the millenials. I blame Steve Jobs. I think that asswipe has single handledly ruined the millenial generation. Fark Steve Jobs and his little fruit phone. I'm glad he's dead.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #43
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I really don't blame the millenials. I blame Steve Jobs. I think that asswipe has single handledly ruined the millenial generation. Fark Steve Jobs and his little fruit phone. I'm glad he's dead.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #44
gorillamonkey2

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2002 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
So then, you're saying it's all the millenials fault?

Cuz that's what I'm hearing.
It is always our fault. With our work-life balance and job hopping selves.
gorillamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #45
mcs92

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki KLX250S

I was born in 1992.
mcs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #46
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I am a boomer, so everything evil is the millenials' fault.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #47
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
I am a boomer, so everything evil is the millenials' fault.
you know obed I'm a boomer too I think. It says it goes from whatever to 1964. So does that make a boomer or an x'er?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #48
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:

Should I?

Mmmhmmm

Tell me how Steve Jobs ruined a whole generation
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #49
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Should I?

Mmmhmmm

Tell me how Steve Jobs ruined a whole generation
Yes you should. And I will be glad to tell you. Smartphones should not have been created. Just like atom bombs seem useful until you see what they do. Kids do not converse with each other socially anymore. They can't even eat a meal without getting those stupid little apple phones. Kids are more depressed and socially retarded more than ever. Cyber bullying is WAY up. Also suicides are way up. I think our world would be a better place without them. But that is my opinion of course. Plus I think Steve Jobs is a pos because he woldn't even support his own blood with his millions. Again glad he is buried and planted couldn't happen to a nicer .
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600
'14 Russian POS
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDane View Post
...The average millennial income (age 22-35) is $35k a year. You all should know well that does not allow for much hobby money with where today's living expenses are...

Then there's the reality that a vast majority of motorcyclists are buying motorcycles used and abused off of Craigslist- not new models off the showroom floor. Second hand motorcycles aren't going to keep an entire industry going. Especially when they aren't being purchased at dealerships. If you guys want to save the industry, we need Gen Xers to start buying new motorcycles from local dealerships....
I hear you there. I'm 35 tomorrow, make a nice 6-figure salary, and I've only ever purchased two bikes new of the 17 or so I've owned. Honestly, just can't afford it (but part of that is due to my choices of housing and having kids). For that matter, I've only ever purchased 3 new cars of the 20-something I've owned...

Sorry guys, it's my fault. I'll go buy a new Scout now. Someone buy my second-hand Ural so I can convince my wife it's an "ok" financial decision.

Quote:
There conclusions are soo foolish and idiot I can't even begin to take them seriously.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #51
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I hear you there. I'm 35 tomorrow, make a nice 6-figure salary, and I've only ever purchased two bikes new of the 17 or so I've owned. Honestly, just can't afford it (but part of that is due to my choices of housing and having kids). For that matter, I've only ever purchased 3 new cars of the 20-something I've owned...

Sorry guys, it's my fault. I'll go buy a new Scout now. Someone buy my second-hand Ural so I can convince my wife it's an "ok" financial decision.
I just noticed I have some grammar errors in my quote that you have in your sig. Can I please fix them?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #52
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Bike(s):
PCX 150

Red face thoughts

my 1st bike was a Kawi HP2 ...i've survived almost a million miles ... i know a lot of dead people ... i have known racers, dealership owners, cycle shop owners, mechs along with many many others closely and remotely involved with motorcycling ... the open road days are long gone ... current moto dealers more often than not act like car salesmen ... mechs & shop owners are lucky to profit with regs & laws & over head ... people like the morgenster are endangered species ... i once went carless for 5+ yrs ... a 2 wheel only life is almost unlivable today ... tech heavy bikes have displaced utilitarian 2 wheelers ... i've never owned a HD ... there is hope for the few in soTEX & NM & Ariz and places remote from urbanization ... insurance cos classify bikes as recreational vehicles ... i am bikeless for the first time in 40 yrs ... my dog LOKI died on 6/10 ... bless what's left of us all

Last edited by JAXPOTD; 07-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.
JAXPOTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #53
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600
'14 Russian POS
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Quote:
I just noticed I have some grammar errors in my quote that you have in your sig. Can I please fix them?
No... but I could include the whole quote if you feel it better represents you. (BTW, his last name is "Hawking", not "hawkins")

For reference:
Quote:
Great according to who a bunch of other scientist that believe evolved from monkeys. There conclusions are soo foolish and idiot I can't even begin to take them seriously. Screw hawkins and his retarded theories.

I wonder how Hawkins is experiencing right now. STupid could have had a glorified body that never gets sick and instead chose to believe in his the stupid monkey theory.

Oh and I have bought furniture and sofa king too.

Quote:
There conclusions are soo foolish and idiot I can't even begin to take them seriously.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #54
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
No... but I could include the whole quote if you feel it better represents you. (BTW, his last name is "Hawking", not "hawkins")

For reference:
Hawking huh? Well tell you the truth I dont' care how you spell the retards name. He was a goofy moron. Who cares anyway he's dead and will be forgotten soon. Why do you care about him or how you spell his name. Are you an English teacher? And besides what did the ugly do for you?

Btw are you the same Jae that use to post on WFO and make the hill country ride with about 20 or 30 of us from Kerville a few years ago?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #55
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600
'14 Russian POS
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Doubt it. Haven't posted on wfo more than a couple of times and don't remember my user name there, but it was probably the same as my original handle here "kacivic".

Bill, I get the feeling that in a different time you'd be one of the Catholics trying to burn people who claimed the earth moved around the sun.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #56
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Hawking huh? Well tell you the truth I dont' care how you spell the retards name. He was a goofy moron. Who cares anyway he's dead and will be forgotten soon. Why do you care about him or how you spell his name. Are you an English teacher? And besides what did the ugly do for you?

Btw are you the same Jae that use to post on WFO and make the hill country ride with about 20 or 30 of us from Kerville a few years ago?
Bill, I'm sorry, but if you feel that way, then I think you're the .

Hawking was one of the greatest minds this world has ever known.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #57
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 525sx tard
Z125 Pro
TTR125 Mini Tard
KTM 300sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Bill, I'm sorry, but if you feel that way, then I think you're the .

Hawking was one of the greatest minds this world has ever known.
I'm with you on this one. Bill has always been a bit abrasive for my taste and I just try to stay out of his way on the forum as he likes to troll people. I must have missed this post but now I know that he is just a sad little man.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #58
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

That rant post has me more worried than before on this meleinal stuff.... I've never paid it any attention just like any other labels put on prior generations.

And I agree that the pussification of America has nothing to do with them, that happend on our wacth. Anyone reading this either saw it or lived through it happening over decades and did nothing or could not do enough to stop it.

But if those stats are correct it would mean today's youths are less skilled, and in large enough numbers to have a group named after them, than someone you'd pay to stand watch over a hole or hold a flag to direct traffic all day.

Prior generations had people could build stuff and do things but lacked computer skills to advance in a changing world. Now this current generation has all these computer skills but seemingly can't do a thing. At least nothing an employer would pay more than a box of rocks for... It used to be no money meant doing the baisc stuff on your bike yourself, now it's no money with no skills...means no bike.

Also this whole expirences over possessions could equally be a vail behind people who don't want to be responsible for anything. Freeing themsleves of having to keep a house, a yard, or now even maintain a car, nevermind a bike which is even more demanding in terms of maintenance. Personally I don't buy it. I'd have to belive this next generation are total morons. Either that or they're just plain lazy. So now I'm wondering if we're on the verge of making a generation of lazy helpless .

But that all said, I want to wipe this term away from my mind. All of the above just cannot be true. I feel like we need to get rid of the group think on labeling generations. Get back to individualism. Bring back awards in physical fitness to schools, and make kids feel good about winning, not bad for leaving others behind. Give kids responsibility, and pride that comes with ownership. Raise an animal, Get in trouble and face the consequences. Reward honesty, and punsh ignorance. That is the only way I can see out of this mess.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #59
Jarucifer
Thieving Whop

May our species mutate to the next generation of x-men, or else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rip.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	101595  
Jarucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #60
lorin70

This could be a long discussion, but here's my thoughts in a short version.

Most of the people I know that are long term motorcycle riders all started riding as a kid, probably when they were around 10 years old. People who start riding in their late teens or early twenties tend to ride for a few years and then stop and move on to another 'experience'. It seems pretty rare for someone to start riding beyond their mid twenties, at least until they reach their late fifties when they buy a Harley to let sit in the garage.

In order for kids to start riding when they are young they have to have a place to easily ride whenever they want without having to rely on their parents to load up the bike and haul them out to the country to ride. Since the street is out that means dirt riding (with some elicit street riding to get the dirt bike or mini-bike from home to the dirt which is a mile or two of avoiding cops). Back in my day that was the bayous where there were always riding trails or maybe the undeveloped areas around the local neighborhoods. Most bayous in the city are now paved over in the name of flood control and you better not used an undeveloped piece of land or you will get changed with trespassing because the land owner does not want to get sued if you happen to crash and get hurt on his property.

This means that city kids don't really have any place to ride when they want to so they probably just don't ride. Heck they can just stay inside and play video games for entertainment.

For kids in the more rural areas where the probably do have a place to ride off-road there is not place to look at or buy dirt bikes or mini-bikes because only motorcycle shops sell them (there used to be a time when you could buy mini-bikes at all kinds of stores, like Sears for example) and motorcycle-only shops can't survive in rural areas due to lack of volume.

The result. Most kids don't start riding early in life so there are not as many long term riders who are generally the ones that buy new motorcycles. That equals declining sales for the motorcycle industry.

Throw in all the other stuff about current generations living their life more online than in the real world and that exacerbates the problem. And yes, they do not seem to do as much in the outdoor world. I saw a survey recently that said that in the group of so called 'millennials' something like 20 percent of them only go outside because they have to in order to get from their home to their car and the car to another building. I don't know how true that is but it seems possible based on increasing obesity rates in this country.

Is there a solution to this issue. I don't see one. Years ago kids went outside to play because that was all there was to do. There was no technology to provide an avenue for entertainment beyond the TV which had very little entertainment value for kids. Now the outdoors has to compete with many other forms of indoor entertainment and it seems that the outdoors is losing the battle.

This is all just based on casual observations so take it for what it's worth.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement