MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
FE_rex

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 Rocket
09 FLHP
08 VSCRAW
05 VSCRA
14 K1300S

Do voltage leaks stain your garage floor?

Electric Harley

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/07/...torcycles.html
FE_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Pain Oil Stain Removal From Your Garage Floor NewsBot Industry News 0 07-01-2016 06:40 PM
Repainting a garage floor Azylum Off Topic 37 08-31-2012 05:02 PM
Floor Jack Garage Kit CaffeineRacer Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 2 04-30-2012 12:06 PM
Garage Floor Epoxy Coating Jason_Canuck Off Topic 52 03-08-2011 11:38 PM
garage floor tiling mekrew Off Topic 95 12-02-2008 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
RC45

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

Finally, a legitimate reason for a Hog to weigh 3,000lbs.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

why would Harley do that? now the riders can't put loud pipes on that save lives?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

They'll sell you an aftermarket "Screaming Eagle" straight cut gear setup and an open motor cover for $2500. That will make the engine whine will be really loud.

Loud whines save lives!

Live to whine, whine to live !!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
RustinR
250 rolling track chicane

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 Buell XB9SX
2011 Honda CBR250R (track bike)
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer
2003 Honda RC51 (sold - regrettably)

I really hope they succeed with this, but I honestly think it's too little too late. Are those engines in the non-electric bikes actually US made, or are they 975cc of Curry & Naan (delicious, but probably not a good marketing tactic)? They're alienating their core market and unlikely to pry most of us sport folk away from the established brands...and that's before you talk about real performance figures.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Their core market is largely expected to evaporate in the next 10-20 years.
They are trying to create and attract a new core market.

You say they won't pry people away from the "established" brands but who's more established than Harley?

I think they are hoping that what remains of their bad boy, nostalgic image will translate into new buyers who want the Harley thing but in a more modern package. They've never been about performance but if they can blend some modern performance in with the brand image they have built over decades, maybe they have a shot.

Personally I think they might very well be doomed but I gotta give em props for stepping out of their comfort zone and taking a swing at the fences.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Liked this post:
Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
RustinR
250 rolling track chicane

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 Buell XB9SX
2011 Honda CBR250R (track bike)
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer
2003 Honda RC51 (sold - regrettably)

Well, by 'established' I was referring to marques with a history in the performance and adventure, or , pretty much ANY segment other than the cruiser / touring / lead-sled / boat anchor market. But you're right, brand recognition goes a long way, regardless of what you're trying to do with it.

The Buell influence is deep in the chassis on those bikes. I wonder if they just jacked his lines, or if he was actually involved in the design.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinR View Post

The Buell influence is deep in the chassis on those bikes. I wonder if they just jacked his lines, or if he was actually involved in the design.
I would guess that, since they had no qualms about Eric Buell, they would have no problems using his ideas right up to the limits where their lawyers said, "Stop here or you will have to pay him for his patents".

I would also guess that had they asked Eric Buell he would have said, " no! You can't use my ideas"!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
FXDS1340

Bike(s):
2014 H-D FLHX
1997 H-D Hammer 1250

Member Garage

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
FXDS1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Their core market is largely expected to evaporate in the next 10-20 years. Or sooner.
They are trying to create and attract a new core market. That's what I was there for. FAIL

You say they won't pry people away from the "established" brands but who's more established than Harley?
I think they are hoping that what remains of their bad boy, nostalgic image will translate into new buyers who want the Harley thing but in a more modern package. They've never been about performance but if they can blend some modern performance in with the brand image they have built over decades, maybe they have a shot.
Personally I think they might very well be doomed I agree. but I gotta give em props for stepping out of their comfort zone and taking a swing at the fences.
I was right next to the Livewire guys. It's kind of a cool looking bike, but the biggest complaint the engineers had was the loss of energy through 90 gearing due to the axis of the motor.

The biggest complaint from test riders was the unpredictability in cornering and hard acceleration due to the axis of the motor. At different RPMs the torque has a BIG effect on lean angle. Even on the Yucca text track with known corners, a slight change in RPM changes the balance, but they couldn't predict how much. Accelerating in a left turn pushes the bike up, accelerating in a right turn pushes the bike down. Come into a chicane a bit faster/slower and that screws up every corner after that. Trying to adjust and make up for it is very difficult. Accelerating/decelerating in a corner makes the bike change angles that aren't related to the speed like the cross axis motor in Zero or a gas bike because now you have two strong effects. Speed and it gets twisted by motor torque. And it's not as consistent as a gas bike because depending on how hard you hit the throttle, it can have a major, unpredictable twist effect.

Starting from a dead stop takes a little practice because it's not like slip that a clutch has. The bike is basically sitting there "off" and when you twist the grip and it makes the first contact the bike GOES with a jerk.

HOWEVER: that was in 2016. Maybe they cleaned up some of those things.

The test bikes that I saw had a switch for a speaker so you could turn on engine sounds.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
FE_rex

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 Rocket
09 FLHP
08 VSCRAW
05 VSCRA
14 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
......The test bikes that I saw had a switch for a speaker so you could turn on engine sounds.
I have trade mark Screamin Eagle amps

Seriously, at least the MoCo recognizes a problem and is trying to act. Just hope it not too little to late
FE_rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement