MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Chilli42

Feedback Rating: (0)

Annoying ride...

Totally not mechanical minded so curious (and a bit paranoid!) Cleaned the bike and took her for a quick ride. I was in traffic today at a stop sign with a car in front. The car in front pulled away and then stopped, then pull away, so I fumbled the clutch. I had the clutch pulled in, revíd the engine ready to go, realized the car was hesitating, the revíd the engine again and accidentally let the clutch out quickly (not all the way).

I heard a sound that to me sounded like a metal slap with a slight jolt, Iím assuming it was the clutch plates slamming together(?). I didnít stall and adjusted quickly and then pulled away smoothly.

My question - Does that seem likely that it would have been the clutch? If so, does that cause any wear/damage? Probably a dumb question, but it must put a lot of torque on something when the clutch plates suddenly stick like that?

And one more... moved the bike forward a few feet with the stand down and caught it on the floor. It juddered and made a horrible scrapping sound. Stand seems fine, but does that stress anything, frame etc!

Annoying day!
Chilli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newsbot is annoying RACER X Forum Updates & Feedback 9 01-31-2014 11:45 PM
So i had an annoying tick..... Japawhat02 Car Forum 9 12-02-2012 02:25 PM
The annoying motorcycle guy. morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 153 12-14-2010 11:52 AM
annoying pm klassik Forum Updates & Feedback 46 12-12-2009 01:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

The stand thing, no. All should be fine. The first thing, dunno. What kind of bike are we talking about.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Chilli42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
The stand thing, no. All should be fine. The first thing, dunno. What kind of bike are we talking about.

Sorry, left that out. Street Triple 765 2018.
Chilli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
TwoSaints

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2015 R1M
2017 R6 - Track Bike
2017 Grom

You're probably fine man. The clutches on these bikes can take a beating if thats what it is, you may have just heard your chain tense up and slap the guide? Either way, most of us here abuse our bikes way more than that and they're fine.
TwoSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Dropping clutch isnt going to hurt anything.. Could have been any number of things to make a noise.. Nothing to worry about.. Would have to be a defect in the bike if there really is a problem...
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I don't know how you sleep at night
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

you did not say anything about the front wheel coming up, so you could not have popped the clutch with a lot of revs up...you just need more ride time.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
cesj

Bike(s):
2009 YZF-R1
2007 YZF R6
TZ250

My clutch makes some noise when first starting a ride sometimes. Goes away quickly once oil warms up.
cesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli42 View Post
Totally not mechanical minded so curious (and a bit paranoid!) Cleaned the bike and took her for a quick ride. I was in traffic today at a stop sign with a car in front. The car in front pulled away and then stopped, then pull away, so I fumbled the clutch. I had the clutch pulled in, revíd the engine ready to go, realized the car was hesitating, the revíd the engine again and accidentally let the clutch out quickly (not all the way).

I heard a sound that to me sounded like a metal slap with a slight jolt, Iím assuming it was the clutch plates slamming together(?). I didnít stall and adjusted quickly and then pulled away smoothly.

My question - Does that seem likely that it would have been the clutch? If so, does that cause any wear/damage? Probably a dumb question, but it must put a lot of torque on something when the clutch plates suddenly stick like that?

And one more... moved the bike forward a few feet with the stand down and caught it on the floor. It juddered and made a horrible scrapping sound. Stand seems fine, but does that stress anything, frame etc!

Annoying day!
Don't worry about it. If it works fine, just ride....
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
675R

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018
Triumph Street Triple R 2015 (Sold)
Yamaha FZ6R 2015 (Sold fast)
Suzuki Katana 750 1990 (Sold)
Honda Twinstar 200 1980 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli42 View Post

Annoying day!
I ride a Street Triple and you have a serious problem. Your bike is in desperate need of more quality ride time. Come on a Morganator ride this weekend and work out the kinks in that bike!
675R is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement