MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #41
pbfoot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
"dec∑i∑mate
ˈdesəˌmāt/Submit
verb
kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of"

It has two definitions. The definition you cite is the one that few people know about and even fewer intend when they use the word.
Yeah, thanks for the grammar lesson but I think I will stay with decimated. You are not refuting anything but my choice of words.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump's longtime doctor says Trump dictated glowing bill of health NewsBot Health 0 05-02-2018 09:11 AM
First lady Melania Trump goes full-on French in Chanel for first Trump state dinner NewsBot Entertainment 0 04-24-2018 11:00 PM
Why HBO's Veep isn't taking on Trump NewsBot Entertainment 0 03-14-2017 11:00 AM
Harley leather jacket (L), Harley Boots 2 sets (10/11), Harley Gloves (XL) ProjecTMX Motorcycle Gear 13 12-22-2010 02:53 PM
Boycott Harley-Davidson - Taking Bailouts morvegil The Circus 26 12-18-2010 10:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #42
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Yeah, thanks for the grammar lesson but I think I will stay with decimated. You are not refuting anything but my choice of words.
You quoted the wrong person. I was agreeing with your choice of words.
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #43
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Tariffs are, in most scenarios (Trump tariffs included), cutting off your nose to spite your face. International trade is not a zero sum game. Economists are nearly universally in agreement that Trump tariffs will lose jobs an order of magnitude greater than create jobs.

On the subject of HD, it's insane really. HD had a pre-existing plan to build a facility overseas to handle international bike production. Trump then announces tariffs that if anything make that an even more attractive idea for HD. Other countries then levy taxes on HD imports in an attempt to punish us, no doubt in a demonstrative context than a practical one. Still, HD draws the short straw. Then, Trump decides that HD's overseas facility doesn't fit his narrative of what's good or right for the US, so he attempts to use his government power to intentionally target a specific private company to bend them to his personal agenda. I find that to be utterly appalling. I'm in favor of less government, not more. I'm certainly not a fan of rampant authoritarianism. And that's coming from someone who relentlessly mocks HD.
Economists opinions from the Brookings Institute and other globalist types don't mean squat. I'm sure Harley would have found a way to ditch taxes (which I pay and dislike, who does?) on their income from another foreign plant just like Apple, Wal Mart , etc.. In the meantime, these corporate tax avoiders are beating the out of our already worn out infrastructure delivering cheap consumer products to and fro. Getting back decent jobs is the key. There is plenty of skilled labor waiting to get to work regardless of what you hear on the news.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #44
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Economists opinions from the Brookings Institute and other globalist types don't mean squat. I'm sure Harley would have found a way to ditch taxes (which I pay and dislike, who does?) on their income from another foreign plant just like Apple, Wal Mart , etc.. In the meantime, these corporate tax avoiders are beating the out of our already worn out infrastructure delivering cheap consumer products to and fro. Getting back decent jobs is the key. There is plenty of skilled labor waiting to get to work regardless of what you hear on the news.
It's not just those "pesky globalists" (which is really just a word that people use to lump in those with opinions they don't like so they don't have to use their brain to determine the validity or lack there of). Getting back jobs is key, indeed. The question is, how do we do that? The answer is definitely not the Trump tariffs, which will continue to cost more jobs than they will fill. We boost the domestic steel industry at the expense of every domestic industry who relied on affordable international steel
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
It's not just those "pesky globalists" (which is really just a word that people use to lump in those with opinions they don't like so they don't have to use their brain to determine the validity or lack there of). Getting back jobs is key, indeed. The question is, how do we do that? The answer is definitely not the Trump tariffs, which will continue to cost more jobs than they will fill. We boost the domestic steel industry at the expense of every domestic industry who relied on affordable international steel
Subsidized cheap international steel. So in your other post about liberals you talk about caring for your fellow man. Obviously those only include those in your particular worth category. How is it bad to open mothballed mills and put OUR skilled labor back to work? We perfected modern steel making, taught others the same, and then stood back and let them take market share all in the name of cheaper products.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #46
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
PCX 150

generally speaking

Quote:
Subsidized cheap international steel. So in your other post about liberals you talk about caring for your fellow man. Obviously those only include those in your particular worth category. How is it bad to open mothballed mills and put OUR skilled labor back to work? We perfected modern steel making, taught others the same, and then stood back and let them take market share all in the name of cheaper products.
>>> "WE" perfected NOTHING except the ABOMB ... our steel flourished because the rest of the world's steel and industrial capacity was "decimated" in WW2 ... once german & euros and the rest reindustrialized mostly with US tax $$$ their steel & products outshined our steel & products > help us all
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #47
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXPOTD View Post
>>> "WE" perfected NOTHING except the ABOMB ... our steel flourished because the rest of the world's steel and industrial capacity was "decimated" in WW2 ... once german & euros and the rest reindustrialized mostly with US tax $$$ their steel & products outshined our steel & products > help us all
Boy, someone really slept in history class.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #48
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Tariffs are, in most scenarios (Trump tariffs included), cutting off your nose to spite your face. International trade is not a zero sum game. Economists are nearly universally in agreement that Trump tariffs will lose jobs an order of magnitude greater than create jobs.

On the subject of HD, it's insane really. HD had a pre-existing plan to build a facility overseas to handle international bike production. Trump then announces tariffs that if anything make that an even more attractive idea for HD. Other countries then levy taxes on HD imports in an attempt to punish us, no doubt in a demonstrative context than a practical one. Still, HD draws the short straw. Then, Trump decides that HD's overseas facility doesn't fit his narrative of what's good or right for the US, so he attempts to use his government power to intentionally target a specific private company to bend them to his personal agenda. I find that to be utterly appalling. I'm in favor of less government, not more. I'm certainly not a fan of rampant authoritarianism. And that's coming from someone who relentlessly mocks HD.
you're right we should just send all of our jobs over seas so we can get cheaper walmart.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #49
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

those global economists are the ones who got us in this mess to begin with...and whose interests (in the name of economy) are they actually representing? Whose money are they trying to protect? They say protectionism does not work, I agree to a point, but what they have done is not working either. I tend to think that government should stay out of business and let nature work...I sometimes think that problems arise when governments intervene to protect their source of income and do the wrong things and rather than undoing what they did and backing off, they site the results of their efforts as poor economy and interfere more to correct what they did to begin with. In most cases we do not take the advise of failures, but when it comes to economy, they seem to be the ones we follow

Last edited by obed; 06-28-2018 at 03:16 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement