MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #21
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Triumph Daytona 675
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Not a disease. A trait that helps survival in a primitive world. Focusing in on small parts of your surroundings is a good way to miss the things that kill you. Now we need to be able to sit still, do boring/repetitive and routine things. Some people struggle with that much more than others. With kids the go to seems to be drugs rather than teaching them to learn how they work and learn.

I take low dose adderall as needed. I like being all over the place but parts of my life require focus i struggle to have. At the time I was diagnosed i had over 20 incomplete projects going back over several years. I was struggling with reading for promotional testing and graduate school (when i am not bored with reading i can easily read 40 or more pages an hour). Not being able to read a full page at once due to bring distracted by anything that moves or makes a sound is when you need to learn the material.

Prior to adderall I was rarely on time to anything, i often forgot things i needed to do, was distracted enough doing things that damage or injury occurred (broke my left leg that way), rarely completed anything, was impulsive at all the wrong times, everything was a disorganized mess around me, when i did sit down i fidgeted constantly and finally i off people often not being able to shut up and not talk over them. But...when I was into something i could do it for hours with great focus, hyperfocus, like cleaning and re-organizing the garage from 9pm to 11pm in a Wednesday night when my wife needed to get up early for work.

So now I take low dose adderall (they make a lot off diff doses and after years I'm on the third smallest once a day). If I am studying or have a to do list i take it in the morning and get done. If I didn't need it I wouldn't take it, even a low dose takes away a part of who I am. But I the meantime my ability to learn a easily as i used to is back, my home is less chaotic, my wife is happier and I wish I lived in a world where i didn't have to use a drug to be effective in the world we live in.

If ADD/ADHD are not real then neither is depression, OCD, PTSD and a host of other disorders. The reason these are problems are because people are wired differently and when these disorders are so intrusive or disruptive they interfere with life so much they can be a big problem. That's when adjusting behavior and medications come in. I self managed ADD for years, but I also dealt with depression at times with constantly feeling like a failure for being unable to finish things. With the overload of information in the world this was getting worse. I can't imagine that everyone can deal with everything the same way...
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adult ADHD/ADD Anyone here? Solracer Off Topic 67 06-21-2017 04:18 PM
ADHD isn't just a childhood disorder NewsBot Health 0 02-17-2017 03:21 AM
Trouble with some generic ADHD drugs NewsBot Health 0 04-09-2015 01:40 PM
ADHD on the start line NewsBot Racing News 0 03-20-2014 06:30 AM
ADHD problems may be sleep-related NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 10-03-2013 10:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #22
upononer6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
Not a disease. A trait that helps survival in a primitive world. Focusing in on small parts of your surroundings is a good way to miss the things that kill you. Now we need to be able to sit still, do boring/repetitive and routine things. Some people struggle with that much more than others. With kids the go to seems to be drugs rather than teaching them to learn how they work and learn.

I take low dose adderall as needed. I like being all over the place but parts of my life require focus i struggle to have. At the time I was diagnosed i had over 20 incomplete projects going back over several years. I was struggling with reading for promotional testing and graduate school (when i am not bored with reading i can easily read 40 or more pages an hour). Not being able to read a full page at once due to bring distracted by anything that moves or makes a sound is when you need to learn the material.

Prior to adderall I was rarely on time to anything, i often forgot things i needed to do, was distracted enough doing things that damage or injury occurred (broke my left leg that way), rarely completed anything, was impulsive at all the wrong times, everything was a disorganized mess around me, when i did sit down i fidgeted constantly and finally i off people often not being able to shut up and not talk over them. But...when I was into something i could do it for hours with great focus, hyperfocus, like cleaning and re-organizing the garage from 9pm to 11pm in a Wednesday night when my wife needed to get up early for work.

So now I take low dose adderall (they make a lot off diff doses and after years I'm on the third smallest once a day). If I am studying or have a to do list i take it in the morning and get done. If I didn't need it I wouldn't take it, even a low dose takes away a part of who I am. But I the meantime my ability to learn a easily as i used to is back, my home is less chaotic, my wife is happier and I wish I lived in a world where i didn't have to use a drug to be effective in the world we live in.

If ADD/ADHD are not real then neither is depression, OCD, PTSD and a host of other disorders. The reason these are problems are because people are wired differently and when these disorders are so intrusive or disruptive they interfere with life so much they can be a big problem. That's when adjusting behavior and medications come in. I self managed ADD for years, but I also dealt with depression at times with constantly feeling like a failure for being unable to finish things. With the overload of information in the world this was getting worse. I can't imagine that everyone can deal with everything the same way...
Glad you found something that helps. I agree with you on sitting down and teaching kids how they work etc. That's why I refuse medication. What we are doing works for now and if we need to pursue other options in the future then we will. But he is a straight A student and he's doing good managing it
upononer6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #23
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Triumph Daytona 675
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Sounds like he is learning around his condition. He may choose to start meds later but put it off as long as possible. I think the only thing that really helped me was Montessori education through 5th grade.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement