MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Car Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Why the import/domestic animosity?

Im building a honda as a project car. Bought it with most of the car in boxes, motor on the ground.. missing a lot of wiring. Had to have it towed to the house even. Been searching on craigslist for some parts. Mostly used/cheap performance parts to make it run a little better, as I plan to use this car as a road course car for a little fun.

So I showed in the vette to buy a few parts for it, and the guy looked at me kinda crazy and said "I expected you to be driving a civic" lol..

It got me to thinking.. I dont care what it is, high performance is interesting.. I started with big V8's, first car was a 455ci pontiac powered T/a. Owned a few honda's after that. Did a few engine swaps in honda's, built a really nice turbo integra. Had my 6.0 swapped single cab chevy, then a GST eclipse. Now the vette. I go back and forth. If I didnt build cars I think I would have to take up drinking or something.

Why is there so much hate across the isle? Is it just the kind of person thats usually driving a modded import?
Im stuck in a weird place cause I got into honda's at the ground floor while I already owned some American muscle. Idk I just dont get it. I like going fast. Dont know that I care how.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/mmoore81/?action=view&current=MOV03267.mp4
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/mmoore81/?action=view&current=MOV02846.mp4

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/mmoore81/?action=view&current=IMG_0741.mp4

If you like both, then show me what you got
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import frustrations Triumph Triple General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-07-2015 09:34 PM
IMPORT REACTOR... WHO IS IN? Perf_White_GT Events, Meets and Rides 14 02-22-2011 08:06 PM
Mean Streets: Domestic, Import, and Bike Show 8/11/07 MSR Houston SexualChocolate Events, Meets and Rides 11 07-09-2007 05:01 PM
EX IMPORT CYCLES ryanx13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 01-18-2007 04:35 PM
Import Tuning Taken Way Too Far FastLine Off Topic 19 11-30-2005 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

wish i could tell ya
DepPravacion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2004 zx10r widow maker

i would say it's more on the import side why the domestic boys dislike the import guys. for years and now you have so many import guys that slap a fart can on a car and head to the strip or try to race vettes. i think most domestic fans respect TRUE speed no matter what car it is. it's the poseurs that have ruined it for the import guys. most of the fart can ricers these days are mexicans....... you didn't hear that from me.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
houmax

Bike(s):
ZX14
RSV R
K1200GT
VMAX

Some of it from the import guys comes from how long it took the American makers to come around to making modern engines with nice things like dual overhead cams, aluminum engines, all those nice little things japan brought us.

Then you have the domestic only crowd that think if it does not have a v8 it must be . They seem to be hung up on torque, maybe they pull lots of boats. I don't know.

It's kind of like Nascar vs the F1 guys.

I've had cameros and mustangs in the past and they were fun to drive but nowhere near as fun as my little SuperCharged MR2 Spyder I have now. I drove my nephews Rouche mustang and it's fast, SC V8, and suspension not shabby but it's not as fun in the twisties as my car.

Now if I was into drag racing I'd go with the Rouche.
houmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

performance is performance, the beaners in the yellow and red striped 89 hondas with a monster wing and fart can exhaust ruin it for me though.... I cant tell the difference nowadays. I also dislike rednecks in big jacked up trucks that cant actually offroad
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

yea i like both as well. And both sides have people that go buy a car and try to make it look fast and just kill it. Like i love the old 88 totyota supras to bmw and american muscle. And i dont know why they call civics and Japanese cars tuners. All cars have to tuned by computer now to what upgrades they have.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I hate them cause the idiots put those loud garbage cans on them. sound like a off weed eater. then the geniuses try to speed away and instead of being gone fast, they are so slow, the noise rattles around and lingers. now the imports that are truly fast don't run the garbage can cause they know their is fast.

so what's the moral of story? garbage can = slow poser , silent w/ whistle = the real
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

That's weird. I normally hear people talking trash about american muscle all the time and they always think imports are better. It gets REALLY annoying.
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
slim8

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1986 GS project

I dont dislike either, it is more the person behind the wheel of some.
slim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

I agree it's the idiot behind the wheel of the fart canned, big winged import with no real performance mods that always wants to race me in my Camaro or bike. Also with the popularity of performance diesel trucks, it seems like everybody with a diesel wants to race.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I agree it's the idiot behind the wheel of the fart canned, big winged import with no real performance mods that always wants to race me in my Camaro or bike. Also with the popularity of performance diesel trucks, it seems like everybody with a diesel wants to race.
Black smoke makes them go fast
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
my diesel has too much in the back to race anyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

for years and years is been he domestic guys throwing a cherry bomb on a trailer park camaro or rusted out pickup truck and racing around like they got something destined for NASCAR.
or it could be the guys in the diesel trucks with 12 inch exhaust tips yelling at import guys with 5 inch exhaust tips.

really what it comes down to is people are stupid and close minded. back when i had a reasonably quick car it was a civic and i took it to the track. I tried not to line up with other imports since most of em were too slow, it was more fun to beat vettes and mustangs and stuff.

honestly is makes as much sense as sport bikes vs cruisers, harleys vs every one else.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
2_slow_5.0

I like just about any car. Not a big fan of FWD but I dont knock it either!

I have been thinking for a while about building an import with a domestic motor just to mess with people but the sound would give it away unless I put a turbo on it. Then again I put turbo's on everything I can so guess it doesnt matter. LOL

Its a never ending battle like ford vs chevy and it will continue only difference is now there is a lot of imports showing up on the scene making gobs of power!!
2_slow_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
FlyHondaGuy

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2006 honda cbr 600RR

I respect muscle cars and all that. I just tend to stay into the import world just more my thing. I like all kinds of cars and trucks though. I myself started with a 67 mustang. I drive a 350z now. but was with Honda more than anything. I agree that its ridiculous people have to hate on each other.
FlyHondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

I think a lot of people take it to heart in the sense that, domestic muscle represents America, and vice versa for the imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

either that or since imports are fairly new to america and american muscle had many years jump on them, the mentality hasn't shifted.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
either that or since imports are fairly new to america and american muscle had many years jump on them, the mentality hasn't shifted.
I wish these people would go to an IFO event just once (and stay far away from the car show, lol). It's entertaining to watch some 6,7,800+hp fwds go down the 1/4.. And even more fun to drive..
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

honestly for the most part i think its just good ol friendly rivalry and talking. nothing serious meant to be taken, but you will find those few that really hate one or the other. like the harley vs bike rivalry, there is no real reason why other than some people say their brand is above all others, and swear by it.

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
16 R1200RS
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houmax View Post
Then you have the domestic only crowd that think if it does not have a v8 it must be . They seem to be hung up on torque, maybe they pull lots of boats. I don't know.

You do understand that torque is what moves the car, and that horsepower number is just a calculation based on torque and rpm?

I come from the drag racing school, and traction + torque is what gets you off the line, where it all matters... trying to put down lots of power thru the wrong end, and fighting the weight transfer just never made any sense to me.

I also ran a lot of autocross, and learned that regardless of the vehicle it all comes down to the driver and car setup.

The movie Fast and the Furious pretty much ruined the street scene... every 16 year old with a fart pipe thought they were gawds...

Advertisement