MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to discriminate when hiring based on.....
Race......yes 16 38.10%
Religion.....yes 15 35.71%
.....yes 21 50.00%
Other.....yes 25 59.52%
No way Jose, no discrimination PERIOD 13 30.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Hiring discrimination

I know we currently have laws on the books stating you cannot discriminate when hiring. While I in agreement that a company should not be able to fire someone based in discrimination, I'm of a different mindset when it comes to hiring. I think a business should be able to hire as they well please.

Last edited by Scorpio; 05-06-2010 at 10:26 PM.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SJL Accused of Discrimination pinball The Circus 2 11-01-2013 11:32 AM
Discrimination in work place. Let's discuss Need input skelator Off Topic 79 08-22-2013 08:19 AM
Discrimination??? Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 09-12-2011 08:32 PM
WTFx Pet leash discrimination Cody_Rules Off Topic 8 01-25-2008 10:24 AM
AMA Needs Help Fighting Health-insurance Discrimination ArturoC General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-02-2007 04:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I'd be surprised if there were a company in these united states that did not discriminate to a certain extent when hiring employees.
They may not admit it, but they do.
Just one of those things.
I don't think the govt. should have any say on who you hire.
They're not the ones writing the checks.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Sauce

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'06 Virago 250

I want to say no to discrimination based on race but I'm not really sure why I feel different about that than religion or .
Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

When I hire people I discriminate against stupid people.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

not to be a sexist pig but there are some jobs that women just should not do. and if im the one thats writing the checks then by gollie im not gonna hire her\ him. there are plenty of jobs that dudes should not be doing either...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
WELL, i am originally from another country and have a name that is obviously "foreign"

many times i cannot help but feel i've been a victim of discrimination so i dont condone it.

i mean, i'm very dexterous and hardworking and if you need someone who is on top of their game and capable of managing a situation when things dont go according to plan, i would say i am that guy.

but if you see my name and dont call me in, you'll never find that out.

you'll be out of a potentially valuable employee and i'll still be broke and jobless.

so for me personally, no.!

give everyone a chance.
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Redux

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Who cares as long as they do the job well and don't bring their personal to the workplace. What someone does outside of the office if, frankly, none of anybody's bizwax.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I'm soooo fvcking allergic to stupid...
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

And Texas is a "work at will state" which means you can be terminated for no reason. If you can be terminated at will then why wouldn't a employer be able to
hire you "at will"?

Most bussinesses hire the best person they can. They aren't going to hire
a white, male idiot over a intellegent, skilled person of color//religion.

You ever notice 99% of all resturaunts the greeter is young and attractive?
I've never seen a troll for a greeter....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
And Texas is a "work at will state" which means you can be terminated for no reason. If you can be terminated at will then why wouldn't a employer be able to
hire you "at will"?

Most bussinesses hire the best person they can. They aren't going to hire
a white, male idiot over a intellegent, skilled person of color//religion.

You ever notice 99% of all resturaunts the greeter is young and attractive?
I've never seen a troll for a greeter....
Actually Texas is a Terminate at will state, not a work at will LOL same meaning your giving it basically, but it also means that you may terminate your employment at any place and cannot be legally black balled for doing it. it is not as some like to say a right to work state. In texas you may NOT be terminated from your employment due to the federally protected reasons but anything else is fair game(and they will use it to get rid of you for the federally protected reasons too) Darden(olive garden) tried it with my Mother in law, they lost because they wre terminating her due to age and its a federally protected condition, she proved it they lost and the manager got fired

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900ish SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450ishR motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
Watch this spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
+1, and I can tell you now, it crosses across all types of "classifications"
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

We all know discrimination happens to one degree or another, there is no denying that fact. But what right does the government have to step in and tell us who we can or cannot hire and for what reasons? Let's say you own a motorcycle shop with 7 full time mechanics. Business is booming and it's time to hire an 8th one. You get this hot brunette/redhead/etc apply for the position. She has a resume that put all of your current mechanics to shame and is by far the best applicant on paper that you have come across. I as a business owner of that motorcycle shop may decide to go with the lesser male applicant with the justification that productivity may decline if I have a big woman that my current 7 mechanics are looking at, attempting to flirt with, etc.......That takes care of the discrimination, let's move on.

You're the owner Christian store, one that sells everything Christian related. A Muslim walks into your store to apply. They know the Christian bible inside and out, all of the Christian relics, etc. For they have studied all religions with zealous. But the fact remains, they are a devout Muslim. Would you hire the devout Christian that knows half of what the Muslim does? Or the Muslim?

Race: Now this is always a touchy subject. Hence the reason the race card is played every other hand. What if you are a black man that owns a hip hop store in the mall. Do you really want to staff it with a bunch of white people?

By no means am I saying that to discriminate when hiring is right or wrong. But I do say the federal government should have ZERO say so in the matter. For if the business owner truly makes bad hiring decisions, the company will suffer as a result.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

what if I want to start a resturant, like hooters, but I want to hire only purple and green chicks who worship plants

my buisness, I should be able to do that since purple-green chicks who worship plants are obviously best qualified for the job
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

That's a tough one......... in that.. if all things were equal I would say that you should not discriminate at all, but they aren't...... If I needed a woman's perspective in a certain job I had... I'd hire a woman... there are so many factors that come into play.. Obviously, some jobs don't have as many considerations as others.... I think you should be able to hire based on your business needs and what would be good for your business... I don't think it right to not hire someone "just" because they are this or that without having a basic legitimate business reason.
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Hire the best person for the job. It race//relgion are factors then so be it. I wouldn't hire a thug wanna be gangster black person, just like I wouldn't hire a Mexican that doesn't speak English, or a white person with no teeth and a drinking problem.

Now women.....they just belong in the kitchen and bedroom. They are to be seen naked not heard. PERIOD.
And there's people like my boss that would, and have, hired people like those you just described, and we all suffer the consequences. Too bad you can't fire a stupid boss.

And when I ask him why he hires people like that, his reply is that everybody deserves a chance, too bad those chances he gives bites all of us in the .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Now women.....they just belong in the kitchen and bedroom. They are to be seen naked not heard. PERIOD.
I wish my life was that good
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Hiring people is a judgment call. You have to hire people on what you think they will be like. Unfortunately, not only are resumes "TWEAKED" for job positions, but it does not tell you about their personality, how hard they work etc. And due to the stipulations put on calling previous employers, you really can't find out details of what their work is like. Therefore, it is left up to assumptions and opinions once you get past the qualifications shown on a resume. I for one feel that whatever tool or reason that you need to hire or not hire a candidate is just fine. I mean, no, discrimination is not a good thing, but unfortunately a tool that is part of the "Opinion" to be generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Race: Now this is always a touchy subject. Hence the reason the race card is played every other hand. What if you are a black man that owns a hip hop store in the mall. Do you really want to staff it with a bunch of white people?
Good example. I was raised by a hispanic man. All the workers I have been around in labor extensive jobs that are hispanic could always work circles around me. Now, my experience with the few black men I have worked around are not good. Thats not saying I think all of them are lazy, but the few that I have worked around have not given me a good opinion except one and he was raised as a ranch hand and didn't know anything other than hard work. My father in law in the hill country has had the exact opposite experiences as me. He would hire a black guy over a hispanic any day. He said other than him, they are the hardest working he has been around. The government should have NO say whatsoever about who we can or can't hire as businesses.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
LynxRyder
n00b

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Lots of racists on MH it seems.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxRyder View Post
Lots of racists on MH it seems.
you got it all wrong, I don't think any of these guys are racist or sexist.

well, maybe sexist a little

You gotta think aobut the job, and your rights as a buisness owner.

Use hooters as an example, you want some dude in tight orange shorts brininging you wings and beer, I don't. I go to hooters to look at T&A, female T&A.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement