MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

Gun laws and History...

When did we go from the old west where everyone carried on a hip and you probably had more guns and fire power than the Sheriff, to GUN CONTROL and having to have a license to own or carry one IF YOUR STATE ALLOWS YOU TO EVEN OWN ONE.

I know someone around here can answer this.

Even if we could reverse all laws reguarding guns, would our current society and state of mind allow us to safely do this, or would there be shoot outs and people pulling wepons over small meaningless arguments?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheriff's office reminds gun owners about importance of gun safety NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-02-2015 04:00 PM
History Channel to teach college history NewsBot Entertainment 0 10-30-2014 06:40 AM
Did David Gregory just violate D.C. gun law by possessing a high-capacity gun clip? Rykoson Off Topic 7 12-30-2012 08:41 AM
Question about gun laws... dopestatus Off Topic 23 05-18-2007 10:24 AM
laws NO MORE F4I Off Topic 7 05-02-2007 11:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

weapons are a force mulitplier for stupid people. back then, stupid people didn't live that long.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

..they were/are also an equalizer
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
When did we go from the old west where everyone carried on a hip and you probably had more guns and fire power than the Sheriff, to GUN CONTROL and having to have a license to own or carry one IF YOUR STATE ALLOWS YOU TO EVEN OWN ONE.

Even if we could reverse all laws reguarding guns, would our current society and state of mind allow us to safely do this, or would there be shoot outs and people pulling wepons over small meaningless arguments?
The Sullivan Act was one of the first overt gun control laws. However, the Jim Crow laws were also designed to restrict gun ownership.

The 14th Amendment pretty much caused it. With the forced freeing of slaves and the realization by bigoted whites that rights now extended to ALL Americans, there came a desire to restrict those rights, so as to give themselves the illusion of safety.

And yes - our current society could safely go back to the way it used to be. Sure, there would be a rapid expansion in the application of Darwin's law, but after the first year or so, we'd be good to go.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

1st, you need a bigger gun Chris. Size does matter. LOL

Wanna see mine? It's real big!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:

Just because it's legal to carry a weapon, doesn't mean one will actually practice it; so the idea that every person in the country will be a gun toting is preposterous. Secondly, rational thought tells most people (using the term most, loosely here) that they may want to think twice about fvcking with someone if the possibility of that person carrying a weapon has recently gone up.

As far as reasons for where we are today compared to long ago, the list is endless. Basically, on a philosophical level, it’s due to our subversion from personal responsibility and allowing government to usurp said duty over a long period of time. The funny thing is that people seem to fear everyone having weapons, but fewer people fear the government being the only one with them. Perplexing…isn’t it?

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 05-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 05-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
hehe All kidding aside though, I really haven't got a problem with that outcome.

I am not one of those who believes every life is precious or equal. Some people, quite frankly, are too stupid to live. Until recently, life was such that they wouldn't survive to adulthood, and if they did, likely would not find a mate. Now? Not so much. Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.
Well said
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Solracer......it's refreshing to see you opening your eyes and taking an interest.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
would there be shoot outs and people pulling wepons over small meaningless arguments?
this. but on the upside...they are stupid morons to gunfight over little , and givin time 99% of them would be dead...(the other 1% are the ones with the best aim)
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

The criminal will have guns with or with out control laws, I don't see much changing if laws were dropped on gun control.
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekg View Post
The criminal will have guns with or with out control laws, I don't see much changing if laws were dropped on gun control.
not talking about criminals, talking about jimmy joe bob who is a law abiding citizen, but now instead of taking out his uncontrolled anger with his fists, he pulls the easy gun.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
not talking about criminals, talking about jimmy joe bob who is a law abiding citizen, but now instead of taking out his uncontrolled anger with his fists, he pulls the easy gun.
Ahh... I see, but Jimmey Bob probably has a criminal history if he has uncontrolled anger. The Darwin theary rules in his case, if Jimmy Joe uses his hands or a gun he is still bad news. I believe that there would be more accidental shootings if it were a complete free for all i.e. anyone could carry anything, anywhere because there are so many morons out there. In my opinion, I'm not really sure the best thing would be for open carry like in the early days. I like carrying out of site because the criminal doesn't know if I'm carrying, surprise. It would be nice to have the option to open carry though in certain circumstances. People really do need to start taking more responsibility for their own protection in general and quite relying on law enforcement so much, the cops are there to write reports after the crime is committed, they are seldom there when it's going down.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

So no, I don't think in our society today "every" person should be allowed to carrry. I believe that all level headed, sane, law abiding citizens should be allowed to though.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
So no, I don't think in our society today "every" person should be allowed to carrry. I believe that all level headed, sane, law abiding citizens should be allowed to though.
Well thank you for "allowing" us to exercise our rights...

How about this - those who are currently in jail or involuntarily committed to a mental facility cannot carry one. Other than that, it really is none of your business, or anyone else's for that matter, what a free man chooses to do.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Well thank you for "allowing" us to exercise our rights...

How about this - those who are currently in jail or involuntarily committed to a mental facility cannot carry one. Other than that, it really is none of your business, or anyone else's for that matter, what a free man chooses to do.
Actually, it is my business because I vote. My opinion doesn't preclude your your choices. I make no assumption that I control what a free man does.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Actually, it is my business because I vote. My opinion doesn't preclude your your choices. I make no assumption that I control what a free man does.
No - it isn't your business anymore than it is my business what you choose to read or what religion you choose to follow.

Now, if you'd like to make an argument how being a voter grants you the authority to question the legal and harmless activities of your fellow man, you go right ahead.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
No - it isn't your business anymore than it is my business what you choose to read or what religion you choose to follow.

Now, if you'd like to make an argument how being a voter grants you the authority to question the legal and harmless activities of your fellow man, you go right ahead.
It's my business what laws are passes or not passed in that what limited say I have in anything that happens, however insignification my voice is, when I vote, I effect your business and everyone elses. When I get others to vote the same direction I do, I effect more. Basically, I can't effect what you or anyone else does or doesn't do but I can effect what you do legally through the democratic process.

Being a voter does not grant me the authority to question the legal and harmless activities of my fellow man, and I didn't say it did. All I'm saying is me being a voter can "affect" you and any other free man in our country, maybe not much but it can. Like I said before, I make no assumption that I control what a free man does...... I can't control what anybody says or does or fails to say or do, do you believe you can?

Back to topic, I image with greater population came more crazies that didn't have any business having a gun in the first place. Then people got tired of all the and voted for laws to control it. O' and in the old west you always had to worry about the Indians attacking you, had to protect yourself, couldn't call 911 and have the popo save you.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
It's my business what laws are passes or not passed in that what limited say I have in anything that happens, however insignification my voice is, when I vote, I effect your business and everyone elses. When I get others to vote the same direction I do, I effect more. Basically, I can't effect what you or anyone else does or doesn't do but I can effect what you do legally through the democratic process.
To an extent this is true, but you cannot vote away my rights.

Last time I checked, my right to be armed still exists. Consequently, you have no right to know if I am or not.
Quote:
Being a voter does not grant me the authority to question the legal and harmless activities of my fellow man, and I didn't say it did.
Actually, yes you DID. By saying you, as a voter, have the right to decide whether or not I am "allowed" to be armed as a free man, you're claiming you have the right to question my legal behavior.
Quote:
All I'm saying is me being a voter can "affect" you and any other free man in our country, maybe not much but it can. Like I said before, I make no assumption that I control what a free man does...... I can't control what anybody says or does or fails to say or do, do you believe you can?
Absolutely not - and I wouldn't pretend otherwise.
Quote:
Back to topic, I image with greater population came more crazies that didn't have any business having a gun in the first place.
Who are YOU to decide who has business and who doesnt?
Quote:
Then people got tired of all the and voted for laws to control it.
No, what really happened is people who seem to think they get to decide who has "business owning a gun in the first place" figured minorities didn't have any business owning one.

Like it or not my friend, gun control stems purely from simple bigotry.
Quote:
O' and in the old west you always had to worry about the Indians attacking you, had to protect yourself, couldn't call 911 and have the popo save you.
You STILL can't call 911 and have the police save you, and if you think you can, then you're woefully uninformed. Not only could they never get there in time, they are under no obligation to do so.

Further, even if they could be there near instantaneously, I still fail to see where there has been any legislation granting the government a monopoly on the use of force, and removing my natural right to self defense.

Advertisement