MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Support For Downed Riders???

As is usually the case during Memorial weekend, our community lost quite a few riders.

I'm seeing a few comments flying around about the go fund me accounts. Seems like there are some very strong opinions about the bad decisions.

Myself, I'm very conflicted. Do you have more sympathy for a rider in full leathers blowing a curve or for a high speed off inside the loop involving a cager?

It's also very sad when a rider kills his passenger. I feel for the families that have to pick up the pieces emotionally and financially.

Thoughts......
__________________
The Real Troll Brostien, playing them like a fiddle.

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lets support our faithfull weekend group riders sat. 5/13 9:30 am Buc-ees in Waller.. "The Morganator" Events, Meets and Rides 44 05-14-2017 05:41 PM
MotoGP - Moto2: Suter to support at least four riders in 2016 NewsBot Racing News 0 08-27-2015 10:00 AM
Discussion at light about lanesplitting.. Why dont motorcycle riders support it? Fastola General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 05-25-2013 01:19 PM
A favor for a downed rider. Orion85 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-13-2008 03:15 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,635

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





If there are dependents that won't have financial support if a rider dies, then that person should probably not ride.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









How financially stable were you at age 19?

Did you ride then?

Actually what age did you start riding the street?
__________________
The Real Troll Brostien, playing them like a fiddle.

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,635

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
How financially stable were you at age 19?

Did you ride then?

Actually what age did you start riding the street?
When I was 19 I didn't have dependents and I did ride the street. I was financially supported by my parents though I did earn the money to buy my bike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
When I was 19 I didn't have dependents and I did ride the street. I was financially supported by my parents though I did earn the money to buy my bike.
So you had parents who could financially take care of a worst case situation if something happened to you?

Are you saying don't ride at young age unless you have a support system?
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,635

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
So you had parents who could financially take care of a worst case situation if something happened to you?
Fully insured for vehicle, injury, hospitalization, and life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
Are you saying don't ride at young age unless you have a support system?
Pretty sure you didn't thoroughly read and comprehend my first post in this thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,808












I feel no sympathy for someone blowing a curve at high speed regardless of what they are wearing, There are speed limits for a reason and a built in safety margin, if you crash on the street you were being a . If you got hit by a cager in the loop I would feel sorry for you but I wouldn't go jumping to help pay for your bills. You knew the risks, why did you not mitigate them and plan for your demise?
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
JetBuilt
Repeat Offender
 
JetBuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 12,683

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50






Send a message via AIM to JetBuilt
Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport/hobby/transportation...I feel very little sympathy for anyone that suffers as a result of knowingly and willingly engaging in dangerous behavior.
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
JetBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
There are speed limits for a reason and a built in safety margin, if you crash on the street you were being a .
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Guess I'm a bleeding heart.

You participate in many group rides?
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,808












Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Guess I'm a bleeding heart.

You participate in many group rides?
What's wrong about my statement?
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,605

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
As is usually the case during Memorial weekend, our community lost quite a few riders.

I'm seeing a few comments flying around about the go fund me accounts. Seems like there are some very strong opinions about the bad decisions.

Myself, I'm very conflicted. Do you have more sympathy for a rider in full leathers blowing a curve or for a high speed off inside the loop involving a cager?

It's also very sad when a rider kills his passenger. I feel for the families that have to pick up the pieces emotionally and financially.

Thoughts......

If you feel the need to donate, then go ahead. If you don't, then why does it matter to you?
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
What's wrong about my statement?
Guess I'm just a Moto enthusiast. My tolerance for unfortunate incidents is higher than yours.

So you go on group rides?
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
Flip Flop
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Let's see you got on a motorcycle(already 30X more likely to die right off the bat)
And then you either started speeding inside one of the most heavily populated cities in america, or as you put it, "blowing corners in full leather" AKA taking additional risks on top of an already risky behavior.
You did all this either under insured or with no emergency funds and now I'm supposed to take my broke who has opted not to buy health or dental insurance and donate some money to help out?


Don't think so brah.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,808












Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
Guess I'm just a Moto enthusiast. My tolerance for unfortunate incidents is higher than yours.

So you go on group rides?
Stop trying to your own thread on the first page.

I said that there are speed limits for a reason with a known safety factor, if you crash you're retarded. It's pretty simple, you go 10 over limit and wreck you're retarded, you go triple the limit and wreck, you're retarded. There hasn't been a road yet I've taken my toy hauler or any of the other massive RVs I've driven I couldn't do the posted speed. If someone can't take those same roads on a bike, you guessed it, they're retarded and need to reevaluate themselves.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
Stop trying to your own thread on the first page.

I said that there are speed limits for a reason with a known safety factor, if you crash you're retarded. It's pretty simple, you go 10 over limit and wreck you're retarded, you go triple the limit and wreck, you're retarded. There hasn't been a road yet I've taken my toy hauler or any of the other massive RVs I've driven I couldn't do the posted speed. If someone can't take those same roads on a bike, you guessed it, they're retarded and need to reevaluate themselves.
I'm just trying to put your stance in prospective. In all honesty I would expect your point of view from someone who doesn't ride.

So do you go on group rides?

Actually what kind of riding do you do?
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South SW Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,808












Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
I'm just trying to put your stance in prospective. In all honesty I would expect your point of view from someone who doesn't ride.

So do you go on group rides?

Actually what kind of riding do you do?

My perspective is that all of these people seem to die as a result of speed. If 90%+ die as a result of their speed do you think it's the roads fault? the speed limits are too high and need to be lowered? The speed limits aren't too high because as I said I can tow RVs through these back roads just fine. that means it's the riders who can't control their speed, override their skill and crash as a result. I feel no sympathy for them taking risks and being retarded.

If someone got T-boned in an intersection; that sucks and I can sympathize. However if that same person carried no insurance, etc. That's where my sympathy ends. I had a neighbor who's house burned to the ground with 2 or 3 kids, I felt bad and spent a day sifting through the rubble and sorting scrap metal, but they had no insurance on the home and that's where my sympathy ended. I donated my time and helped cook for them but that's where it ended.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 31,254

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage


For me, it's a case by case basis. If I know the person personally and they are a genuine good person, I'll try to help out. If it's someone I don't know, it's less likely that I'll help.

We all make mistakes. We all have made questionable choices. Should we all be responsible for our actions? Yes. But at times, I feel for others and their families.

As far as passengers getting injured or killed. A good majority of those girls KNEW what kind of tomfoolery was going to happen on that bike that day.

My own father who was 23 at the time, weaved in and out of traffic back in November of 1982. He was a great person by all accounts from what I hear, but reckless. He ran into the back of a flatbed 18 wheeler. His actions left me fatherless for the rest of my life. I hope that I do not do the same for my children. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,605

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTrvlr View Post
prospective
Uhh man so much cringe when I read that.


PERSPECTIVE
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Uhh man so much cringe when I read that.


PERSPECTIVE
Multitasking, thanks for the correction.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,343


Bike(s):
A Few









Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
We all make mistakes. We all have made questionable choices. Should we all be responsible for our actions? Yes. But at times, I feel for others and their families.
Really surprised at all the hard stances. Most of us at one time or another started as a squid. Through experience and seeing others hard lessons gradually you go from inside the loop shenanigans to serious riding. Then serious riding evolves to the track. Often times the track back to the street.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy