MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
Voltwings
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6












New Potential Track rider

Hey Everyone,

I've been tracking cars for about 10 years now and am considering the move to motorcycles. Tracking a 1LE Camaro is awesome, but replacing the brakes and tires... not so much.

I've been doing some looking around, but plan to spend a few months watching, reading, learning, and figuring out what a good casual track day / weekend bike could be.

I've done the Miata thing with cars, so I KNOW you start slow, get good habits, etc... and a lot of people have pointed me in the direction of the Ninja 400 for that exact reason. It's cheap, it's well reviewed, it's "low power," etc...
My one concern, again just after tracking for so long, is there just is a certain level of speed I'm accustomed to and comfortable with. I'm in the mid - high 1:40s CCW at MSR-H for anyone that means anything to. I understand a bike is still going to be very different, but just don't want to get "bored" of it too soon if that makes sense.

Let me be clear, I don't think I need a Liter bike, or even a 600-700, but the 102 trap speed of the 400 seems somewhat pedestrian. Be that as it may, it does seem to be the front runner and I will continue to research and learn and maybe pull the trigger next spring. Looking forward to learning more and possibly meeting some of you some day. Thanks.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIDER DOWN AT DOG TRACK Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 03-24-2015 04:24 AM
good potential for track/ stunt bike jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 11-14-2013 05:20 PM
helping out yet another curious potential rider lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 02-19-2013 06:26 PM
Potential Track Bike Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 06-29-2011 08:45 PM
MotoGP: Qatar '07 Bikes on Track! (potential spoilers) ArturoC Taking it to the Track 2 03-08-2007 07:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
SpeedTrip955i
Member
 
SpeedTrip955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Racer Road"
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 85


Bike(s):
RSV4
1050 Speed Triple
955 Speed Triple
675 Daytona
Grom






You'll be going CW at MSRH
SpeedTrip955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
GABRIEL
Senior Member
 
GABRIEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW/SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 7,677

Experience: 1-3 months











Get a 400 and get to the track. You won't regret it and also you can ride at speedsportz almost whenever you want. Just post up when you go and maybe others can join.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-07-2022, 08:20 PM   #4
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!
 
flipstyledsm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La Porte, Texas
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,612

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage





Welcome to MH!!!

I own a 5th gen ZL1 and know the feeling of spending a load on a car that is still a Camaro

Tracking a car vs tracking a motorcycle at MSRH is two VERY different feelings. You'll quickly learn that once you take the dive and get a bike to track. 1:40's on a bike @ MSRH is kinda nuts. Most people don't have that "natural MotoGP" mode installed in them already. I dreamed it, thought it, felt it... but then I got on the track for the 1st time on 2 wheels and I was slow... like gel drying on hair slow

Nonetheless, I find it extremely fun!!! I also went small CC, like 250 Ninja and it's stupid fun still! I take it to both big tracks and small tracks (go-kart tracks), which is super convenient sometimes to just get a run in at anytime I feel the urge to drag knee.

Also, if you run a 1:40 your 1st go @ MSRH, on 2 wheels and most importantly a 250-400cc motorcycle... you will most likely graduate into a very different lifestyle with tons of racing opportunities and sponsors!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
People have no idea that I'm walking around with dicks on my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 11-07-2022 at 08:23 PM.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
Voltwings
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6












Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Get a 400 and get to the track. You won't regret it and also you can ride at speedsportz almost whenever you want. Just post up when you go and maybe others can join.
What's funny is I was actually considering racing go karts and joining their league before someone pointed out I can get a decent bike for the same price as a go kart. Makes you wonder why the the go kart is so expensive.

I didn't realize they did bikes too, they're pretty far from me, but another option is always a plus.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-08-2022, 07:19 AM   #6
Voltwings
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6












Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Welcome to MH!!!

I own a 5th gen ZL1 and know the feeling of spending a load on a car that is still a Camaro

Tracking a car vs tracking a motorcycle at MSRH is two VERY different feelings. You'll quickly learn that once you take the dive and get a bike to track. 1:40's on a bike @ MSRH is kinda nuts. Most people don't have that "natural MotoGP" mode installed in them already. I dreamed it, thought it, felt it... but then I got on the track for the 1st time on 2 wheels and I was slow... like gel drying on hair slow

Nonetheless, I find it extremely fun!!! I also went small CC, like 250 Ninja and it's stupid fun still! I take it to both big tracks and small tracks (go-kart tracks), which is super convenient sometimes to just get a run in at anytime I feel the urge to drag knee.

Also, if you run a 1:40 your 1st go @ MSRH, on 2 wheels and most importantly a 250-400cc motorcycle... you will most likely graduate into a very different lifestyle with tons of racing opportunities and sponsors!

I understand completely, 10 years ago I had a pretty well put together 5.0 mustang that I was tracking and my first track day was very humbling giving miatas, mini coopers, BRZs, etc... the point by. I'm not 's gift to racing by any means, so the reality check on the times being very different is appreciated.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:39 PM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,999


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






What sort of motorcycle experience do you have?
Previous bikes owned?
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #8
Voltwings
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6












Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
What sort of motorcycle experience do you have?
Previous bikes owned?
Zero. Starting from scratch.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:22 AM   #9
kenup283
Senior Member
 
kenup283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Deer Park
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 807

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200




Member Garage





Welcome. You are going to love it. I came into bikes on the road at a later age. Cars drag racing and karting were before that. I will say thou having a dirt bike as a kid was a big help. So look to get the basics down on a dirt bike if you can. Can just be a pit bike you might have a friend with in the paddock to mess around on. Preferably smaller the better.

When I got my street bike after about 6 months I started track with it, and have moved onto minis and 600 for track, but have stuck with the bikes. They offer a different mental experience, something like an art form which expands your mind and confidence the more you practice it. Not that there’s anything wrong about a high strung 125 two stroke shifter kart, an experience like fighting a bull, both are must dos. The bikes come with a lot more mental aspects to go fast along with the physical.

Recommend reading Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist 2. This will be right up your alley with prior track knowledge. Also go to Ridesmart.info and watch some videos. Chances are you’ve seen bikes on track already so know what to expect there. What ever you end up getting, you’ll spend sometime in a parking lot get used to it. I do braking drills, figure 8s, focusing on shifting from left to right smoothly, quite regularly. Speedsportz is a great deal as is a membership at Katy kart track, if you go mini.

What side of town are you on?
__________________
Experience is not something you get until just after you needed it.

Last edited by kenup283; 11-10-2022 at 03:26 AM.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #10
Voltwings
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6












Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Welcome. You are going to love it. I came into bikes on the road at a later age. Cars drag racing and karting were before that. I will say thou having a dirt bike as a kid was a big help. So look to get the basics down on a dirt bike if you can. Can just be a pit bike you might have a friend with in the paddock to mess around on. Preferably smaller the better.

When I got my street bike after about 6 months I started track with it, and have moved onto minis and 600 for track, but have stuck with the bikes. They offer a different mental experience, something like an art form which expands your mind and confidence the more you practice it. Not that there’s anything wrong about a high strung 125 two stroke shifter kart, an experience like fighting a bull, both are must dos. The bikes come with a lot more mental aspects to go fast along with the physical.

Recommend reading Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist 2. This will be right up your alley with prior track knowledge. Also go to Ridesmart.info and watch some videos. Chances are you’ve seen bikes on track already so know what to expect there. What ever you end up getting, you’ll spend sometime in a parking lot get used to it. I do braking drills, figure 8s, focusing on shifting from left to right smoothly, quite regularly. Speedsportz is a great deal as is a membership at Katy kart track, if you go mini.

What side of town are you on?

Appreciate the input, I'll be sure to check those out.

I'm in Rosenberg, pretty much right at 59 and 99 on the SW side of town.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #11
GABRIEL
Senior Member
 
GABRIEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW/SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 7,677

Experience: 1-3 months











If you get some gear you can come do a track day with me. I have a klx140 setup for road racing. I'm finishing up some mods and it will be good to go. Buy some used gear and get to the track. I'm still crashing in my first used suit. It's still holding up and over 10 years old. What gear do you need? I have some boots I've been trying to sell forever and they are pretty new. I tried them on and they didn't fit. The guy before me wore there a fuew times and sold them to me. I have an extra suit but I'm 6foot 196
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #12
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.
 
Gixxerguy86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 768

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage





I'm late to the party, but welcome to the greener pastures Wings! It's nice here

As others have already mentioned, making a bike go fast around a track requires a lot more mental and physical aptitude. But that's what got us all addicted here, it's a completely different experience, not to mention big fun. And you'll have Blaine and Ryan to goon around with once they join the party, Aaron too. I'm not sure why they run bikes CW at MSRH, im also not sure why it hasn't been repaved yet

Anyways, im happy to see that this forum is still somewhat active after the Facebook group redirected most of the traffic
Gixxerguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #13
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,999


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Voltwings - read "A Twist of the Wrist" as suggested. His approach to riding is spot on and he has helped, literally thousands of riders to be better skilled. If you can find it, read the first one too.
I think they run bikes CW at MSRH because it makes the approach to pit wall a little safer.
It's at more of an angle coming out of the carousel, than it is out of turn 17.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #14
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!
 
flipstyledsm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La Porte, Texas
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,612

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage





As Gabe mentioned, let us know what you need. I have a used leather suit you can have if you need (it'll fit anyone 5'-5" - 5'-8" @ 165lbs.) I also have some medium gloves as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
People have no idea that I'm walking around with dicks on my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!
 
flipstyledsm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La Porte, Texas
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,612

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage





Running MSRH CCW is dangerous for motorcycles because you can carry way more speed into Sugar & Spice from the Gut Check, which will force you to have to scrub speed while full lean going into Pit Straight. Additionally, the track is more narrow in that area then it is going into Joe Bone from Carousel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
People have no idea that I'm walking around with dicks on my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy