MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Neotrinity1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Questions

Hi so I'm REALLY new to this whole bike and was wondering a few things...

1 Where is this track at?
2 What are the levels you can ride at?
3 How much does it cost?
4 What are the qualifications needed to ride? Like gear, safety regulations etc
5 What if you have no way to trailer your bike to the track?
6 Where do you go to sign up for it?
7 When is the next one?
8 How safe is it? I'm nervous, is it something I should wait and get better?

Thanks so much! I hope to be there! Happy riding!
Neotrinity1
Neotrinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 07:04 AM
New guy questions jcrabb13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-25-2011 03:14 AM
VIN Questions.. Vandals How To's and Q & A's 13 05-09-2008 02:17 AM
50 Questions vertigo Stunters Lounge 10 01-21-2008 01:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Lindz

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG
2009 Suzuki S40 custom cafe racer

MSRH is south of Houston off 288 in the city of Angleton
http://www.ridesmart.info/
Lindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Lindz

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG

I’d find someone with a trailer/ truck because if you go down or have bike issues you don’t want to get stranded.
I’d get very comfortable on you’re bike and riding before heading to the track. Work on the basics and build from there on the track!
Liked this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Lindz

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG

*your
Old 09-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Drama

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotrinity1 View Post
Hi so I'm REALLY new to this whole bike and was wondering a few things...

1 Where is this track at?
2 What are the levels you can ride at?
3 How much does it cost?
4 What are the qualifications needed to ride? Like gear, safety regulations etc
5 What if you have no way to trailer your bike to the track?
6 Where do you go to sign up for it?
7 When is the next one?
8 How safe is it? I'm nervous, is it something I should wait and get better?

Thanks so much! I hope to be there! Happy riding!
Neotrinity1
1. There are a few tracks in TX that host track days, one of which is Motosports Ranch Houston (MSRH), which Lindz mentioned.

2. There are 3 different levels you can sign up for, however if you are new to track riding you will have to start at level 1 and work your way up.

3. The cost for a track day is $170, except at COTA which is $400. I believe for your first time they offer a large discount and free leather rentals.

4. You should check the ridesmart website posted by Lindz to be sure. You will need a helmet less than 5 years old as well as a leather suit (can be 2-piece), boots and gauntlet gloves.

5. I rent a Uhaul trailer when I go currently. I would investigate doing the same. Riding your bike to the track is an awful idea and doesn't give you much room for supplies.

6. Ridesmart.info

7. Next track day at MSRH is October 20th (also the last for this season at MSRH)

8. I would say the track is safer than the street. Most wrecks that occur are fairly minor requiring no treatment and even may get back out on the track. That said, they can be serious as well. Most people are nervous when they first start riding on the track, it's a new environment and you'll be riding in a way you don't on the street. Just make sure you're confident riding your bike in general and you'll be fine. Noone is going to push you to run a pace faster than you're comfortable with.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

When you ask how safe is it.. Well... For the most part is has more to do with how safe a rider you are. You dont have to worry about a dead squirrel in the middle of the corner , or deer running out in front of you or a piece of pipe or wood or gravel to run over and make your bike do crazy stuff... No one is going to pull off a side street in front of you.. I.e. Your only two obstacles are the other bikes going the same direction and inexperience.. Ridesmart does have safety rules like no wheelies , passing safely , just general rules to keep people safe at track days. Most incidents are peoples inexperience catching up to them while riding faster than they know how.. So they have a self imposed accident with themselves.. Doesn't happen to often that one biker hits another... With all that said.. I would recommend knowing your bike and at least get comfortable with it before doing a track day. I'm sure you will be nervous your first track day, most everyone is.. Go on a few rides with morganator. A number of guys who ride track ride with him and can give you pointers and answer any questions you have about track riding.. Im over on the west side of magnolia if you want to do a short ride just here in the area, the roads out this way are a bit better than strait up city riding
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Short Magnolia Ride

YES! I would LOVE to do a short Magnolia ride! I'm still really nervous to be out on the streets and don't have many people to ride with. Could use the support and I think Magnolia would be a safer less busy place to ride than Spring area. I've only ever gone up to fourth gear and haven't gone very fast I feel like the basic course didn't teach me enough lol I've really only been on a motorcycle about 7 or 8 times so it's still not something I'm really comfortable with! haha Do you think the October 20th track day is too soon? I've been trying to ride every weekend as that's really all my schedule allows to practice so that would be where I'd be at by Oct 20th, probably only having ridden 5 more times lol Is there a minimum speed you can go on the course like you get in trouble if you ride at 30mph persay lol I want to get really good at this, but I know it's going to take time! I'm excited though! One thing I was wondering is do you guys who ride regularly get sore wrists from holding on to the controls? Cuz I've had that a lot like every time I've ridden and I don't know what to do about it....I've had to stop and take a break. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it
Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
YES! I would LOVE to do a short Magnolia ride! I'm still really nervous to be out on the streets and don't have many people to ride with. Could use the support and I think Magnolia would be a safer less busy place to ride than Spring area. I've only ever gone up to fourth gear and haven't gone very fast I feel like the basic course didn't teach me enough lol I've really only been on a motorcycle about 7 or 8 times so it's still not something I'm really comfortable with! haha Do you think the October 20th track day is too soon? I've been trying to ride every weekend as that's really all my schedule allows to practice so that would be where I'd be at by Oct 20th, probably only having ridden 5 more times lol Is there a minimum speed you can go on the course like you get in trouble if you ride at 30mph persay lol I want to get really good at this, but I know it's going to take time! I'm excited though! One thing I was wondering is do you guys who ride regularly get sore wrists from holding on to the controls? Cuz I've had that a lot like every time I've ridden and I don't know what to do about it....I've had to stop and take a break. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it
Your sore wrists are probably from being tense and gripping the bars. Try to relax. To be honest it doesn't sound like you're comfortable riding at this point. I don't like riding around a bunch of brainless car drivers either but if you're concerned about what the minimum speed limit on the track is... It'd be a great idea to go ride with Morganator or ducdodgers and see how you feel closer to the October 20th date.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Quote:
It takes time for a lot of your body parts to get use to riding. A sore right wrist is pretty common, because it takes time for you to get use to holding the throttle open. Your left fingers or forearm will be sore from pulling in the clutch too, but as I said, you’ll get use to it.

You need to give yourself some good seat time on the bike before you jump on the track. Although a closed course is the best place to learn, you being well under any “normal” speed on the track can be a hazard. I’d say ride with a lot of the guys here this fall, winter and spring and get use to everything, then jump on the track in the spring time. You’ll enjoy it much more when you a little more relaxed.

You can even (and would recommend) take the advanced riders course or “total control” class, before you go to the track. You can even read books like “twist of the wrist” and “total control”. You can even borrow them from me if you don’t want to buy them. I loan them out regularly for anyone to read.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Exactly I don't think I'm comfortable at all yet. What is the latest time you can register for the Oct 20th track day? Maybe I can just wait until closer to see how I am...and yes I'm hoping some awesome people from here will be willing to ride with me in the Woodlands/Spring?Magnolia area in the meantime! So that I can get practice! Do you think I bought a bike too early in the process?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Quote:
Exactly I don't think I'm comfortable at all yet. What is the latest time you can register for the Oct 20th track day? Maybe I can just wait until closer to see how I am...and yes I'm hoping some awesome people from here will be willing to ride with me in the Woodlands/Spring?Magnolia area in the meantime! So that I can get practice! Do you think I bought a bike too early in the process?
Registration never closes until they are sold out of spots.

My gut feeling by just reading your posts is I would get some good miles under my helmet before jumping on the track. There are rides every weekend in your area and like Ducdodger said, many on those rides have no problem helping those just starting out. Be patient.

I can’t answer if you bought a bike too soon, but I can say, you bought a great beginner bike and it can easily be turned into a track bike whenever you want too.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

You know, How about this; sign up to do corner work for oct 20 with ridesmart so you will get the feel of how the track stuff works. This will also get you a free track day in the future. You can watch the bikes up close and get paid for it. It’s a great learning experience.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Info for corner work

http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=corner.working
Old 09-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #14
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Everyone learns differently, some are better in groups others on their own, but for me I tend to say for brand new riders to stay away from group rides when learning.

Just too much opportunity to get in over your head and not recognize it until too late. Also no matter what you tell yourself there will be an urge to try and keep up. The good here is your bike is perfect for leaning and the people they’ve referred you to will take good care of you. Just be cautious of other group rides you may come across.

Being total new I would work on doing more advanced skills tests in parking lots. I still do this regularly and whenever getting a new bike. A lot can be learned at 30mph in terms of bike control. I like to do figure 8s in a parking lot working on being smooth and transitions on leaning from left to right. Also like to do braking exercises such as pick a line you want to stop at and work your way closer and closer braking harder and harder to where you can stop at it without head bobbing practicing a progressive squeeze that lightens at end as come to a stop. I also like to practice this occasionally after a rain when ground is still wet just to keep a feeling for it as one day you will end up out in the rain.

As for track having a 300 sets you up perfectly for running on the kart track at speedsportz. It is also closer to where you are, and cheaper to get lots more track time. Below is a link for that. It might be something to try after being comfy in a parking. I think there are also advanced rider skills training courses for something more formal beyond MSF.

On street your attention will be needed for reading traffic and situational awareness. Operating the bike, gears, throttle, brakes and all that stuff needs to feel like second nature and not consume any thought. A lot of us get this from ridding dirt bikes from young age but if not having that I would again practice in parking lot close by the house until get to this level. Then venture out from there. Welcome to MotoHouston

https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...ay+night+minis
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Yessss I'm gonna continue working in the parking lots close to my house so that it becomes more natural! Corner working sounds great! But it says you must have a minimum of two track days that have been ridden or corner working experience. Neither of which I have? Is there a way to get more knowledgeable on corner working? And I would love to read those books by the way! The more I can learn the better! Thanks!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Quote:
Yessss I'm gonna continue working in the parking lots close to my house so that it becomes more natural! Corner working sounds great! But it says you must have a minimum of two track days that have been ridden or corner working experience. Neither of which I have? Is there a way to get more knowledgeable on corner working? And I would love to read those books by the way! The more I can learn the better! Thanks!
Just email them. As long as there is room, you should be fine. A lot of times they are short staffed, so they need the help. Dave and randy are easy to work with. Wives, friends and kids do corner work just to get the free track days for someone. They teach you everything you really need to know in the meeting before you go out.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #17
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Oh ok that's cool! Good to know! Thank you!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

As long as you can wave a flag and listen to a little instruction then flagging will be fine.. They aren't to picky about the 2 track day rule..
If its not raining I should be able to go riding sometime this weekend if you want..
Liked this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #19
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

At which time I can give you any info you want and or don't even know you need for riding and/or track days..
Liked this post:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Tons of tips on track days here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...k8lI4SUuW1Wi6s