MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
RC45

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
I feel bad for the two guys pitted with me that had real crashes and had to be transported but I figured I'd share my crash video here. I still can't believe 3 crashes and a mechanical all came from under one canopy yesterday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzheqx4T0Ro
Post crash analysis?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My affinity for accidents cuong-nutz Off Topic 24 12-10-2015 11:36 AM
3 Moto-accidents BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-03-2008 01:08 AM
accidents Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 112 10-17-2007 09:37 AM
Accidents!!!!!!!! m@rlen84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-28-2007 01:23 PM
Get ready for the accidents bdmpastx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-19-2006 01:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #22
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Post crash analysis?
Nothing special, asking too much from the front tire. Carrying too much lean.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #23
dudewhrsmybike
BORC Originator

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS
2017 Kawasaki Z125
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS (stolen)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Nothing special, asking too much from the front tire. Carrying too much lean.
What tires were you running? 2 of the 3 crashes I've had were losing the front, so I know the feeling all to well.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
What tires were you running? 2 of the 3 crashes I've had were losing the front, so I know the feeling all to well.
I was running the Michelin Slick Ultimates.
Liked this post:
Old 08-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #25
RC45

Bike(s):

Where you on the front brake or just off throttle? It seemed to skip over that patch joint and tuck in.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #26
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Where you on the front brake or just off throttle? It seemed to skip over that patch joint and tuck in.
Off brakes, off throttle. In the video it looks like the front started to slide and then folded in on itself when the tire hit the seam. It wasn't very abrupt.
Liked this post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #27
RC45

Bike(s):

I have slipped on one of the seems up in the keyhole - luckily didn't go down. I altered my line to avoid them for the following laps. Sorry you went down.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Jason977

Gundamnitpete,

I was also in L2 but I didn't see the crash. I did find a pretty good shot that another rider took:
Seems like a really strange place for a tank slapper to start, I wonder if there was some mechanical failure? Especially unusual since you have a steering damper. Whatever it was, it sucks to see that happen and it'd be nice to learn from it.

For what it's worth, I broke my femur on an MX track about ten years ago and the rehab really wasn't that bad, and I'm hoping you have the same experience. They put a rod down the middle of my femur and they wanted me weight bearing in a couple days. The most persistent discomfort was where they separated the muscles on the side of the leg to expose the bone to put the rod in. The bone healed great, and nowdays I never think anything about it. Not like my stupid torn ACL and meniscus that bugs me all the time.

Best wishes to a strong recovery.
Jason977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #29
Leave Hard

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R600
'18 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason977 View Post
Gundamnitpete,

I was also in L2 but I didn't see the crash. I did find a pretty good shot that another rider took: Seems like a really strange place for a tank slapper to start, I wonder if there was some mechanical failure? Especially unusual since you have a steering damper. Whatever it was, it sucks to see that happen and it'd be nice to learn from it.
Strange, only time I've gotten a tank slapper at MSR was that exact section coming out of diamonds edge into that front straight before the carousel.
Leave Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #30
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

Coming out of diamonds edge and even sugar & spice are both places tank slappers are likely to happen. There is so much input on the bars, you're on the gas and changing the direction of the motorcycle, it's easy for this to happen.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #31
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post
Coming out of diamonds edge and even sugar & spice are both places tank slappers are likely to happen. There is so much input on the bars, you're on the gas and changing the direction of the motorcycle, it's easy for this to happen.
Yeah, the track is riddled with bumps. If you're putting input into the bars and are open throttle you can pretty much tank slap anywhere. Atleast, on a powerful bike that's the case. Not sure how it is on a lower power bike. A tighter damper setting would of course reduce that tendency.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #32
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Quote:
Yeah, the track is riddled with bumps. If you're putting input into the bars and are open throttle you can pretty much tank slap anywhere. Atleast, on a powerful bike that's the case. Not sure how it is on a lower power bike. A tighter damper setting would of course reduce that tendency.
On a ultralight, as soon as you hit About where the x was, you throttle to full, then switch to the left hander, still at full. Never once had a bobble there of any sort on an untralight.

I have only run my Ducati once there and at that time, I wasnít fast enough for anything to get twitchy.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #33
Gundamnitpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason977 View Post
Gundamnitpete,

I was also in L2 but I didn't see the crash. I did find a pretty good shot that another rider took: https://youtu.be/YuJsIbhuvb4?t=20 Seems like a really strange place for a tank slapper to start, I wonder if there was some mechanical failure? Especially unusual since you have a steering damper. Whatever it was, it sucks to see that happen and it'd be nice to learn from it.

For what it's worth, I broke my femur on an MX track about ten years ago and the rehab really wasn't that bad, and I'm hoping you have the same experience. They put a rod down the middle of my femur and they wanted me weight bearing in a couple days. The most persistent discomfort was where they separated the muscles on the side of the leg to expose the bone to put the rod in. The bone healed great, and nowdays I never think anything about it. Not like my stupid torn ACL and meniscus that bugs me all the time.

Best wishes to a strong recovery.
Wow that is a good shot man. Thank you for finding that!

Crazy how quick that went from tank slapper to on the ground. Iíve seen guys ride those out for a long while but it just looked like it went back and forth and spit me off.

You are correct, I had a steering damper. I was trying my best to stay as light on the bars as possible. Itís totally possible however that I brain farted and held to hard on this run. Iíve made mistakes before.

Looks like I tumbled a bit when I hit the grass. Iím assuming thatís when I broke my femur :/

Iím currently almost a week out from surgery. The pain isnít too bad, but the worst part is just sitting around the house doing nothing. Before this accident iíd Train a martial art twice a week, hit the gym another 2 days or so a week, ride, and obviously hang out with friends and such.

So watching Comcast all day is definitely a bit of a bummer.

I can move around the house slightly, with the help of a walker. So I can use the bathroom and such which is nice. Iím hoping to get cleared for using a cane by about 3-4 weeks out from surgery. PT starts next week, so thatíll be itís own battle.

Thank you everyone, and especially thank you to whoever it was who waited with my GF Lia while she was waiting for me to get life flighted out of there. That really helped her a lot.

And to every who helped loading the bike up and especially whichever one of you it was who got my bike home for me. I really canít thank you enough!
Gundamnitpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #34
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

I second Drama's assessment..
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #35
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

@ Gundamnitpete, glad to hear surgery went well, and good luck going forawrd.

We talked briefly betweeen sessions, not sure you would remember I was talking about riding flat bar bikes on track and how I used to get my wrist tied up in a knot working the throttle and brakes in right hand cojrners to which you said need to work on that screwdriver grip

Anyway I had my eye on where you were pitted and in that last session when I rode past and saw it was you and then your GF looking around I went over to talk to her.... I didn't sugar coat anything given the spot on the track where it occured but I was emphatic how lucky you were not to get collected by anyone and the just hung around untill all got taken care of. I honestly wasn't sure that was helping that much but glad it did.

A very nice couple who said they were members of the track took the bike back. I just helped to push into their pickup. I have to say your GF was totally chill on her own, and couldn't be convinced to leave the bike and get a head start on meeting you at the hospital. It was almost as she was following direct orders via text message to secure the bike. . That's a keeper for sure

As for the crash I've been watching the video and really not sure what to think about it. It's very abrupt and seems to high side you off after what looks like the back end of the bike wagging a couple times. Going over the video several times I noticed there are some black tire marks that are intermittent amd look to have a slight weave in them where it looks like the fall started. Looking in the other video in this thread from earlier in the day I do not see these same tire marks in that area. Seems like they could be related and might tell us something.

By any chance do you run a reverse shift pattern?

Best alternative I can come up with is inadvertantly grabbing a clutchless down shift at the moment you were expecting to make a clutchelsss up shift. Just looking for a sudden and abrupt act that would do dramatic stuff that is out of ordinary and might fit into the place with what seems like rear tire chatter and weave marks where it occured...

All that aside also wish you a strong and speedy recovery. As you seem to be pretty active your body should take to the phisio and cope better. If theres anything you think you might need help with people on here are pretty good at helping each other even if it's just a point in the right direction on where to get stuff.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #36
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Here are stills from the videos trying to capture the black marks best I could.

Look on far right of the dark seem, where has three marks in first pic that are interrupted with some space between.

The next pic is what looks like the last of these marks and has a slight curl to the right.

To see the weave mentioned between these need to play the video over and over and watch this area the screen between the 23-24 seconds

Here are a couple shots from the video taken earlier in the day.

Here did not see anything like those marks to the right of the seem.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #37
Gundamnitpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
@ Gundamnitpete, glad to hear surgery went well, and good luck going forawrd.

We talked briefly betweeen sessions, not sure you would remember I was talking about riding flat bar bikes on track and how I used to get my wrist tied up in a knot working the throttle and brakes in right hand cojrners to which you said need to work on that screwdriver grip
Ha! I do remember that!

Quote:

Anyway I had my eye on where you were pitted and in that last session when I rode past and saw it was you and then your GF looking around I went over to talk to her.... I didn't sugar coat anything given the spot on the track where it occured but I was emphatic how lucky you were not to get collected by anyone and the just hung around untill all got taken care of. I honestly wasn't sure that was helping that much but glad it did.

A very nice couple who said they were members of the track took the bike back. I just helped to push into their pickup. I have to say your GF was totally chill on her own, and couldn't be convinced to leave the bike and get a head start on meeting you at the hospital. It was almost as she was following direct orders via text message to secure the bike. . That's a keeper for sure
Yeah man, you were a big help to her! Just having someone around is very helpful. This was also her first time at a trackday, and i think maybe even her first time at a race track bar none.

Haha she actually took that job up on her own! I was profusely apologizing via text about crashing and putting her through the worry and she was like "it's cool i'll get your bike home and meet you at the hospital"

Quote:

As for the crash I've been watching the video and really not sure what to think about it. It's very abrupt and seems to high side you off after what looks like the back end of the bike wagging a couple times. Going over the video several times I noticed there are some black tire marks that are intermittent amd look to have a slight weave in them where it looks like the fall started. Looking in the other video in this thread from earlier in the day I do not see these same tire marks in that area. Seems like they could be related and might tell us something.
I saw the same thing. The level 2 instructor Cody sent me a video of him coming through just after I had crashed, and you can clearly see where those marks are. Here's that video:

https://gfycat.com/FrighteningOfficialAntbear

Quote:

By any chance do you run a reverse shift pattern?

Best alternative I can come up with is inadvertantly grabbing a clutchless down shift at the moment you were expecting to make a clutchelsss up shift. Just looking for a sudden and abrupt act that would do dramatic stuff that is out of ordinary and might fit into the place with what seems like rear tire chatter and weave marks where it occured...
No sir, running a standard shift pattern. Although I will admit this doesn't seem like much of an ordinary tank slapper. I was able to zoom in on that video and slow it down, and man, the bike just launches into a VERY violent wobble almost immediately, and spits me off ASAP as possible.

Check it out here:

Quote:

All that aside also wish you a strong and speedy recovery. As you seem to be pretty active your body should take to the phisio and cope better. If theres anything you think you might need help with people on here are pretty good at helping each other even if it's just a point in the right direction on where to get stuff.
Thanks man! If I need anything I won't hesitate to reach out. Thus far they've got me doing some Mini-PT before the big stuff starts, and I'm looking good so far. Can still easily lock my knee, and can still bend to about 90 degrees or so. Hopefully PT will help quickly!
Gundamnitpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #38
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Good to hear you are doing OK.
Yes crashing sucks and makes you reevaluate lots of things.
Seven months after my crash and now I'm finally back working.
4 surgeries, 3 months on the wheel chair and lots of PT to get me walking again It's not pretty but it's a walk
It's going to take a few more months to be able to ride again but racing...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #39
ConcordEagle

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Good to hear you are doing OK.
Yes crashing sucks and makes you reevaluate lots of things.
Seven months after my crash and now I'm finally back working.
4 surgeries, 3 months on the wheel chair and lots of PT to get me walking again It's not pretty but it's a walk
It's going to take a few more months to be able to ride again but racing...
Glad to hear you recovered, how did it happen?
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #40
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

it that was crazy out of nowhere, glad you are dude !!
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement