MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
ConcordEagle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducdodgers View Post
Just a tidbit of information for those without Tire warmers. A lot of people put their bikes in the shade but might want to leave the bike in the Sun and try to get as much sun on the tires as possible. I checked my tires just before a session after they had been in the Sun and tires were still at 120 to 130 degrees. Not too shabby for using a natural Tire warmer haha. Tires need next to no warm-up time unless you're running a slick Maybe. If you put your bike in the shade the tires will cool off significantly more.
Good idea, just remember to throw a towel over your instrument cluster, specially if you have an aftermarket windscreen, they can literally set a dash on fire from a "magnifying glass" effect. My Zero Gravity double-bubble screen came with a big warning label on it to avoid leaving in sun.
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIDESMART VID MSRH from last weekend....3-8-14 HALFFAST Event Pics and Vids 1 04-19-2014 01:47 PM
Ridesmart MSRH - June 23th - RideSmart is back floyd600 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 307 07-01-2012 09:18 PM
Ridesmart:MSRH 10/3/10..How did you do? PYROBUG51 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 24 10-05-2010 03:46 PM
Ridesmart MSRH 4-25-09 Ricky464 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 04-26-2009 03:42 PM
MSRH Nov 1 ridesmart Solracer Ridesmart Motorcycle School 265 12-23-2008 03:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #22
blaknwite

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
KTM SuperAdventure
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250R
Yamaha Zuma

I would do homework on tire pressure before you go. It rarely gets mentioned at the riders briefing but track pressures are lower than road. I'm not a tire pro. but the interweb is full of advice so do some research if this is your first time out.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #23
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 690 smr
Z125 Pro
Vespa 200 2t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
Good idea, just remember to throw a towel over your instrument cluster, specially if you have an aftermarket windscreen, they can literally set a dash on fire from a "magnifying glass" effect. My Zero Gravity double-bubble screen came with a big warning label on it to avoid leaving in sun.
You are also heating up the gas tank and seat. Neither one of these is a good thing. Even in leathers a hot seat will cook you in this Houston heat. Everything is a trade off.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #24
Drama

Bike(s):
2015 R1

Any of ya'll guys going to be in level 3? Can you please remember to leave me room on the outside of each turn exit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducdodgers View Post
Just a tidbit of information for those without Tire warmers. A lot of people put their bikes in the shade but might want to leave the bike in the Sun and try to get as much sun on the tires as possible. I checked my tires just before a session after they had been in the Sun and tires were still at 120 to 130 degrees. Not too shabby for using a natural Tire warmer haha. Tires need next to no warm-up time unless you're running a slick Maybe. If you put your bike in the shade the tires will cool off significantly more.
Fair point on street tires. I like to have my race tires up to a full 180 degrees so I can go 100% right away. Frankly though, at level 1 or 2 pace most guys probably come off the track at temperatures just a little over 130 degrees... So definitely no need for warmers. Plus, I remember running that pace and I would take a solid lap or 2 before I had enough confidence to push it at all.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675R View Post
Thanks for the feedback and vids. Itís a lot to think about and I really appreciate it. The track is only 40 minutes from my house. I was going to just ride there but Iím starting to think thatís a bad idea. It would mean I could only bring a backpack. Iím starting to think even for level 1, with getting my gear from ridesmart, I should prep my bike at home and trailer it. Should I trailer the bike? What basic stuff do I need other than sunblock. Itís just me by myself so I had no plans to ďset up campĒ with a canopy and cooler. The guy I spoke to at MSR said I didnít need to bring anything but Iím getting the idea thatís going to make it a tough day. The second video had this picture, this is a ton of stuff! Iím starting to feel woefully under prepared.
yup, that's me alright...

I take you've already watched that video, and there's already plenty of good info in this thread, so I'm hoping you got a good idea on how you can prep.

I usually rent an awning there and take in first-timers so I can help them out, but I'm not 100% sure yet on whether I'm riding this weekend or not.

Don't hesitate in asking here whatever questions you might have; the better prepared you are, the more you'll enjoy your track day!

You may want to check out this great writeup a first-timer posted earlier this month: https://www.facebook.com/notes/andri...7345540089158/
classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #26
lucky04

Hope this is okay, for anyone going i'm selling a bunch of gear (over in the classifieds post, copied here) that I can bring out to MSRH saturday, if interested in anything let me know.

All prices OBO, will be at MSRH beginning of august.
All pictures can be found here. If you want better pictures of something, or something isn't high enough resolution just let me know and I can snap new ones for ya and send direct.
https://imgur.com/a/JVfSgom

Alpinestars 1pc Leathers 46/56 - 500

Sedici 1pc Leathers 44/54 - 400

AGVSport 1pc Leathers 44/54 - 200

Motogp 1pc Leathers 44/54 - 300

Alpinestars SM-X 6 boots 45/10.5 - 140

Sedici Boots 44/11 - 100
lucky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #27
Az1z

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
FZ09

Anyone going on Sunday and want to split their paddock space with me? I'll be running in level 1.
Az1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Did you talk to Dave?
You have to ask?
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #29
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom
2017 Ducati Hypermotard 939SP
KX65 TMGP

Who is the tire vendor now, and what tires do they sell?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #30
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Pirelli is all I know
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #31
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

John P1. If it's a race wknd he has one of his peeps or contractors working
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
Who is the tire vendor now, and what tires do they sell?
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #32
Goozie

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'14 MV Agusta Brutale 800
'97 Guzzi Centauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az1z View Post
Anyone going on Sunday and want to split their paddock space with me? I'll be running in level 1.
I am going tomorrow, Sunday, as well but do not have a space yet. I'll split with you but how are the spaces rented?
Goozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #33
Az1z

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
FZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goozie View Post
I am going tomorrow, Sunday, as well but do not have a space yet. I'll split with you but how are the spaces rented?
The registration for the paddock spaces closed a few days ago. I'm not sure if they sold out or not. The price was for both days, though.
Az1z is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement