MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2018, 04:35 AM   #1
mrh

Feedback Rating: (0)

Riding dirty

As a sponsor and a rider, I've long been curious why so many folks take the risk of riding without an M endorsement on their driver's license. The state DPS estimates that about 40% of riders have no M, a number that remains fairly constant year to year. Unlicensed riders risk not just tickets, but potentially catastrophic financial losses from liability claims/injury claims, etc. from ineligibility for insurance coverage payout due to illegal riding. So what's your take? Cost? Time? Fear of failing a beginner rider class?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty Bay G-low Introduction Forum 8 08-24-2017 08:13 PM
Caption that New meaning to the term riding dirty NewsBot Industry News 0 06-23-2014 05:00 AM
Dirty riding on good friday anyone? CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 54 04-09-2012 07:58 AM
tryin to catch me riding dirty OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-20-2008 06:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
BryanE
CMRA #246

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2017 Terracraft Super Trike
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I personally have had my M endorsement since 1990 back when you just rode to DPS office, took written test and they followed you around the neighborhood. I know a lot of riders that ride street and I think 75% don't have the M endorsement but are insured. I personally wouldn't ride with out it due to the liability of loosing my financial securness, but seem's to me that the insurance companies are extending coverages with out the endorsement's to anyone! I know when I get insurance they run mine and all my household license's for tickets and accidents. With this being said, Insurance companies can see the endorsements of the people they are underwriting, and still issue the insurance while turning a blind eye? If I didn't have my M endorsement and had a at fault accident and was denied coverage, I think my attorney would have zero issue finding fault in the insurer, and make them pay out. The way to stop it or at least reduce it, is for insurance providers to require the M before underwriting the policy. This wouldn't stop the problem entirely, but would make a huge dent in the problem IMO
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

The police didn't even care about M endorsements until about 8-10 years ago. I rode forever without one and every time I got pulled over it they never mentioned it. Then they started towing bikes for it and I went and got it.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Track_Graphics

Had mine since 75. Got it before my DL. I was 15.
I'm old. In the beginning created dirt. He was so inspired he created me next...
My sons both got theirs before they had their DL too. They used to ride 600s to school nearly every day. Because I had them on MY insurance the cost wasn't really all that much.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
I had mine since I was 16. (12 years ago) I still think a rider without a M endorsement is not as bad as an illegal with no drivers license, insurance, old chevy truck and the ability to flee the scene of an accident with no consequences. It also brings up the arguement, do you pay 80 dollars to re-register a trailer you use twice a year?
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
mrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
I personally have had my M endorsement since 1990 back when you just rode to DPS office, took written test and they followed you around the neighborhood. I know a lot of riders that ride street and I think 75% don't have the M endorsement but are insured. I personally wouldn't ride with out it due to the liability of loosing my financial securness, but seem's to me that the insurance companies are extending coverages with out the endorsement's to anyone! I know when I get insurance they run mine and all my household license's for tickets and accidents. With this being said, Insurance companies can see the endorsements of the people they are underwriting, and still issue the insurance while turning a blind eye? If I didn't have my M endorsement and had a at fault accident and was denied coverage, I think my attorney would have zero issue finding fault in the insurer, and make them pay out. The way to stop it or at least reduce it, is for insurance providers to require the M before underwriting the policy. This wouldn't stop the problem entirely, but would make a huge dent in the problem IMO
If your bike is stolen while you're not on it..you're covered. If you run into a minivan and hurt a parent and kid, they pay (they're required by law to do so) but they can come back on you with a lawsuit to collect that payment. If you look at your policy you will see in plain English a "illegal and criminal act" exclusion that gives them a huge door. It's a rider's responsibility to comply.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB878FCE-A1BC-4146-BDCA-68F602293A77.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	102228  
Old 10-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
mrh

No M?

Excuses I've heard:

* "Never knew you had to have one." (Texas has required a motorcycle license for more than 30 years)

"Cheaper just to get a ticket." Maybe true, but a ticket is not the main thing to worry about (see liability, etc. above) And if you get enough tickets you will have bigger problems than no M on your license.

"Don't have the time." Really? There are now classes that take only one day. The Total Control Intermediate Riding Clinic is held on one day, you ride your own bike, and you learn lots of cool new stuff about handling, how your bike works, and new ways for maximum braking and cornering.

"I don't need it. I know how to ride good enough." Really. Exactly what is "good enough?" You can't get better? Go to any bike gathering and sit and watch for awhile and you'll see how many "not good enoughs" are on the road now.

"I just moved here from a state where you didn't need to have a motorcycle license." Since 2013, all 50 states require a motorcycle license to legally operate a motorcycle on public roads. Alabama was the last holdout. All that means is that you rode illegally in your old state, too.

Last edited by mrh; 10-18-2018 at 02:47 PM.
mrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh View Post
.....If you run into a minivan and hurt a parent and kid.....
You shouldn't have a parent and kid on your bike in the first place unless you're giving your mom a ride.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh View Post
Excuses I've heard:

* "Never knew you had to have one." (Texas has required a motorcycle license for more than 30 years)

"Cheaper just to get a ticket." Maybe true, but a ticket is not the main thing to worry about (see liability, etc. above) And if you get enough tickets you will have bigger problems than no M on your license.

"Don't have the time." Really? There are now classes that take only one day. The Total Control Intermediate Riding Clinic is held on one day, you ride your own bike, and you learn lots of cool new stuff about handling, how your bike works, and new ways for maximum braking and cornering.

"I don't need it. I know how to ride good enough." Really. Exactly what is "good enough?" You can't get better? Go to any bike gathering and sit and watch for awhile and you'll see how many "not good enoughs" are on the road now.

"I just moved here from a state where you didn't need to have a motorcycle license." Since 2013, all 50 states require a motorcycle license to legally operate a motorcycle on public roads. Alabama was the last holdout. All that means is that you rode illegally in your old state, too.
What if you moved from Vietnam?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
Track_Graphics

That's next to West Virginia, right? I think it's the same, but you can ride with lots of parents and kids on the bike. I saw pictures. In the state of Vietnam the US federal law doesn't apply. They're all Libertarians.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
mrh

TX, with very few exceptions, does not recognize foreign motorcycle licenses for folks that move here. Which is a shame. Folks from across the pond, especially those from the UK and Germany, have to endure rigorous training to get their unrestricted motorcycle licenses, and usually are exceptionally good riders. But even they must take a class to get a license in the Lone Star state.
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post
I had mine since I was 16. (12 years ago) I still think a rider without a M endorsement is not as bad as an illegal with no drivers license, insurance, old chevy truck and the ability to flee the scene of an accident with no consequences. It also brings up the arguement, do you pay 80 dollars to re-register a trailer you use twice a year?
Nope, i do not my tags are super expired lol. I have my M but i got it when you could just have the trooper follow you. I would imagine experienced riders don't want to pony up for the course.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

I've got away with tickets just because I had everything in order, me and the bike.
Once in Bandera County the cop even lowered the speed in my ticket so I could qualify for defensive driving, which I end up going to the track with RideSmart and at the end of the day, they issued me a certificate for the class taken and the judge excepted the certificate as defensive driving class and the ticket got dismissed.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
I've got away with tickets just because I had everything in order, me and the bike.
Once in Bandera County the cop even lowered the speed in my ticket so I could qualify for defensive driving, which I end up going to the track with RideSmart and at the end of the day, they issued me a certificate for the class taken and the judge excepted the certificate as defensive driving class and the ticket got dismissed.
nice lol
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 AM   #16
Topkeg

Can somebody recommend where I can take the course to start it asap?
Topkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #17
haygood

You can take various classes from MRH, "Ride like a pro", and Awesome Cycles. Google has you covered.
haygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:21 AM   #18
SneakyZA

Riding without a license is really dangerous. Not only for a driver but also for those who are on his way. We had a guy who was riding without a license, without a helmet and without any thoughts he can bring harm to someone including himself... A couple of years ago he just smashed into a truck. Now he just can't walk. Horrible story. The bike is not a toy. One should think about safety before riding.
SneakyZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Id get it. Ive used my M endorsement to rent bikes overseas and stuff. Handy to have and easy to get. I
Old 10-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts
'14 Russian POS (For Sale)

Member Garage

One thing I found interesting is that I recently got a substantial discount over my previous rate (insured through Progressive) for providing proof that I have my endorsement. I've had insurance through them for 7 years and they've never bothered to ask until recently, nor was there any indication they would cease my coverage if I didn't provide proof of endorsement. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
There conclusions are soo foolish and idiot I can't even begin to take them seriously.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement