MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

back problems from riding?

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but i visited a chiropractor for my first time ever yesterday. My back was hurting very badly about mid way though Monday. I rode for around 5 hours on Sunday. I think that may have screwed up my lower back. I ride a lot. I commute on my FZ1 as much as I can, and then go for as many fun rides as I can, if my gf is at work, or it's just a nice day or whatever.
Anyone else get lower back, or back issues? Are there some good stretches or work outs that you would recommend?
I'm about to start seeing this chiro fairly regularly for therapy, I guess. I'd like to do what I can on my own time to help me get back on 2.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Riding Tips - Back to the Basics | Riding Skills Series NewsBot Industry News 0 07-11-2017 10:30 PM
Back up and riding redtalon3204 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-13-2011 05:48 PM
Back problems zerobounds Off Topic 23 11-16-2009 11:05 PM
Back to riding again trimnslim Introduction Forum 7 06-28-2008 04:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Sleep on back with pillow under knees, take a couple naproxen, alternate heat and cold, and rest. If that doesnít help I would skip chiropractor and get a doctor to order an X-ray and mri. If you arenít injured then I would see a physiotherapist over a chiropractor. I usually just take Aleve, stretch, and take a shot of tequila. Sometimes there isnít anything that can permanently fix the aches and pains of getting older.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

Lol I just had my first chiropractor visit yesterday, and an MRI is coming tomorrow. I hear you on the booze. I just bought a couple of things to help me feel better for tonight.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Work out more....u need to strengthen your core and use ur legs mire to squeeze tge tank.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
CGarcia

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
96 GSX600F
06 DRZ400sm

Inversion table and/or back stretcher pad. My back pain disappeared after many years, as soon as I started using both.

https://relaxtheback.com/products/lumbar-back-stretcher

Last edited by CGarcia; 10-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
CGarcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2017 Terracraft Super Trike
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I broke my back racing motocross in the 90's. Ive been seeing a Chiro for years since. My Chiro has told me that sport bike riding due to the lay down position is actually good for stretching the spine. I go 2 times a month for adjustments now days and have no issues from riding sport bikes. But if I get on a cruiser it me up at times. As other suggested, I have a Inversion Table I use when I have issues, and a Tens Machine that is my go to pain reliever. You can get a tens machine on eBay for about $50-$75 for good one

Last edited by BryanE; 10-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

i wouldnt have expected a sport bike's lower posture to be a good thing for the back!
i plan on working out more, and if i can scoop up a tens machine for 50-75, that sounds like a great thing.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I didn't either! I was surprised
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i wouldnt have expected a sport bike's lower posture to be a good thing for the back!
i plan on working out more, and if i can scoop up a tens machine for 50-75, that sounds like a great thing.
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Work out more....u need to strengthen your core and use ur legs mire to squeeze tge tank.
Meh. This might be the case but might not. Lots of strong mother have lower back pain. I know you can at least rep 225 for back squats which requires a lot of core strength. That is stronger than 95% of the population and you probably still have lower back pain sometimes. You just need to focus on getting a boat so we can start fishing again.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

lol, i know for sure i'm in need of a solid workout regimen. i'm getting older, i'm slowing down, i work a mostly desk job now. my back pain and my will to go work out after work are my biggest hurdles. my gf is hoping a job change comes through, and she gets similar hours to me. then we can both go hit up a gym together while we are in town after work.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
lol, i know for sure i'm in need of a solid workout regimen. i'm getting older, i'm slowing down, i work a mostly desk job now. my back pain and my will to go work out after work are my biggest hurdles. my gf is hoping a job change comes through, and she gets similar hours to me. then we can both go hit up a gym together while we are in town after work.
If you have a desk job where you are sitting all day you definitely need to workout. They say sitting is the new cancer. LOL. Sitting all day can cause tight hip flexors which can cause lower back pain.
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

most of my pain and damage is lower back. the cancer thing, i totally believe it.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Unyu

Bike(s):
YZF R1
Daytona 675R
Ninja 650R
Vespa
CBR 600RA

Natural hemp seed in form of seeds, oil, and capsule are available in amazon. This has help me big time so I dont take any more medicines (meloxicam, prednisone, ibuprofen). I take all of them daily. It has antiinflammatory effects, protein, and omega 3. Glucosamine and chondroitin helps too.
Went to chiropractor for months, even back surgery not helping. Tried acupuncture no helping. Exercise and hemp seeds are the main things that help.
Unyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unyu View Post
Natural hemp seed in form of seeds, oil, and capsule are available in amazon. This has help me big time so I dont take any more medicines (meloxicam, prednisone, ibuprofen). I take all of them daily. It has antiinflammatory effects, protein, and omega 3. Glucosamine and chondroitin helps too.
Went to chiropractor for months, even back surgery not helping. Tried acupuncture no helping. Exercise and hemp seeds are the main things that help.
I've heard a lot of people swear by the CBD infused lotions too although I haven't tried it. I workout 4 or 5 times a week, stretch, have an expensive firm mattress, eat right, take omega 3 and a handful of other supplements, vitamins, consciously try to sit up right at work, etc. My lower back hurts right now. LOL.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

i've heard a lot of good about cbd stuff, too. my concern is that i'll get selected for a random drug test at my LEO job and will fail because of it. i dont know enough about the cbd stuff, i guess. do those products have anything that would show up in a drug test?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #16
Unyu

Bike(s):
YZF R1
Daytona 675R
Ninja 650R
Vespa
CBR 600RA

I have been taking it for a while and passed drug test for court. Cbd only tested positive if inhalled. If digested, it is too small to be detected on a urine test. I am a nurse. I cant afford to lose my license for that.
Unyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #17
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
15 honda 1000 cbr
08 honda 1000 cbr
03 honda magna
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)

I've had back/shoulder/neck pains (regularly)and been seeing a chiropractor for 20+ yrs. I'd say the pains were a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. And they hurt 24-7 when I had them. It was actually debilitating. When it was hurting I'd see the chiro. once or twice a week until it got better. Usually took around 6 months. Then within a few months they'd be back.

At the advise of my Chiropractor, 4 yrs ago I found a massage therapist. His main practice is toward injury rehabilitation. The main type of massage he practices is Reiki. He doesn't do swedish or other relaxing massages. Since then I've been getting hour long massages every 3 weeks. $70 bucks a pop, but overall it cost less than all the chiro visits I'd be going thru. Since I've been seeing him I haven't had a back pain that I would consider more than a 2. And my quality of life has vastly improved. That never would have happened if I was stilling going to a chiro. I'll never go back to regular Chiro.

Another thing I've had really good luck with is Airroste procedure. It's a type of pressure point therapy and is administered by chiropractors that have been trained in it's methods. The company I used to work for had a deal where it didn't cost me anything. So I gave it a try and it really works. But if you have to pay I think it's $250 a session and it usually takes around 3 - 1 hour long sessions to completely stop the pain.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #18
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
15 honda 1000 cbr
08 honda 1000 cbr
03 honda magna
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)

Airrosti not airroste
Old 10-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #19
FE_rex

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 Rocket
09 FLHP
08 VSCRAW
05 VSCRA
14 K1300S

Go to REAL orthopedic surgeon specializing in spine work affiliated with a REAL hospital. Get your xrays, MRIs or whatever imaging is required to find out what's REALLY wrong with your back. Research the diagnosis using sites like NIH or Mayo. Go to the recommended physical therapy and do the exercises they give you after you are released

Houston has one of the best medical communities in the world. Your ailment is probably the medical equivalent of a vacuum leak and you are going to the local walmart to find out why your check engine light is on.
FE_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #20
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race