MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
CARVER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk [stolen]

Send a message via Skype™ to CARVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88millimeter View Post
Gentlemen. If you ever get a chance to ride a motorcycle in another country, especially a developing country. Dont hesitate, just do it. You will be shocked how accomodating car drivers are to motorcycles in countries where traffic sucks and motorcycle travel makes sense.

I love driving in Mexico. When i come to stop lights cars will veer left and right to let me through to the front of the line. They actually have the ability to comprehend that motocycles at front will not delay their travel because the bike will be gone before their car even starts moving, and bikes at the front means more space in the lane behind them for other cars.
Ahh yes, thank you for throwing that in there. I should've mentioned other countries and their actual appreciation for motorcyclists.
CARVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GSXR stunt cage and Sub cage Miahjera04 Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 8 09-30-2013 12:44 AM
4/28/10 M&G 7PM - Riders Helpin Riders Pasadena Hooter's Flip Events, Meets and Rides 221 05-09-2010 10:44 PM
11/17 M&G 7PM - Riders Helpin Riders – Wings Pizza N Things Flip Events, Meets and Rides 136 11-18-2009 04:30 PM
For Racers, Track Riders, Street Riders, Cruisers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-21-2009 09:20 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
welcome to Houston

To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
I figure I'll hit quote for anyone that may have skipped over this good advice..

Last edited by CARVER; 10-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #23
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Princess* View Post
I thought we covered this in Cali R's thread (https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=372704), posts 8 and 10.
1. It's not a true statement.
2. Thinking this way sets you up for failure.

Also, Carver is not a new rider. Check his profile info under his name - 2 years and 1 track day. But I'm sure he appreciates the advice.
Actually 2 years was gibberish when I set up my profile. I've been riding since I was before a teen in the dirt, and 20's on street. I'm now 44 haha, tho I haven't had my own motorcycle all those years
Old 10-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
88mm, down In Juarez that was the messiest traffic I've ever driven in and the bikes were in and out like nothing!
Juarez? Avoid it like the plague, huge and densely populated city. That's like riding through NYC rush hour and saying US traffic sucks. Go 20 miles west of El Paso and cross the border at Santa Teresa. That's like riding a FM road with zero traffic.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
88millimeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Juarez? Avoid it like the plague, huge and densely populated city. That's like riding through NYC rush hour and saying US traffic sucks. Go 20 miles west of El Paso and cross the border at Santa Teresa. That's like riding a FM road with zero traffic.
I used to spend summers in Juarez visiting my grandparents when i was young. You couldnt pay me to go back there.

Its a shame that the first impression travelers get of Mexico is the border towns because Mexico only gets prettier the further south you go.
88millimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #26
green600
BYE

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARVER View Post
Me, personally, I don't get pissy n flippin people off just bc someone accidently cut me off or happened to veer into my lane. I understand that happens and sometimes traffic doesn't go the way people thought it would. So unless someone intentionally my course up, I wave it off and smile so they know I'm not ... Sometimes even just that can have an influence on someone's day. I'd rather be of the good sort.
Sounds like you need to have a talk with the original poster.

Life's too short to eat dusty Parm
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #27
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by green600 View Post
Sounds like you need to have a talk with the original poster.

I am the original poster haha. I didn't post this bc I was missy or , I posted for awareness and getting people talking. Think about this. If every rider had a conversation at dinner with family or lunch with associates, about the "issues" with motorcyclists, maybe they'd put the idea in car drivers minds to think more positively about riders and the benefits we actually give opposed to problems we cause errr don't cause. many people/drivers just simply don't like riders for ridiculous childish reasons. Drivers need to be educated on benefits of motorcycles, and get the headtrash out of their heads.
Just the other day someone cut me off to be a and swerved at me. We both got caught at the red light and I asked him what was the point of all that and what did I do to warrant that, and he said there really wasn't and apologized.

Last edited by CARVER; 10-10-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Liked this post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #28
green600
BYE

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

You have more faith in the general public than I do. There's idiots all over. But it's easy to spot them these days because they have a bumper sticker or a yard sign.

Life's too short to eat dusty Parm
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #29
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

haha right on, touche
Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #30
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

And I could swear some cars purposely wait til I get close simply to pull out in front of me, even into my lane instead of the empty one. Ya everywhere, but that's just part of riding. Stay vigilant.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #31
cbrfxr67

Bike(s):
Grom Clone
gs500/929rr thing,...
K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARVER View Post
Just the other day someone cut me off to be a and swerved at me. We both got caught at the red light and I asked him what was the point of all that and what did I do to warrant that, and he said there really wasn't and apologized.
Had my 1st opportunity yesterday riding home. Filtering through traffic and chevy truck closes to where I can't get through. I change lanes and he gasses it, crosses over to cut me off. Traffic is dead stopped so I lift my visor & ask him why he's so upset. He responds that I need to wait in line with everybody else and I'm not special! Says that this isn't California! I calmly point out that I can fit between the non-moving cars and not hurting anyone to pass safely. He and his (ready to jump out of the cab) passenger start to relax now that I engaged them and he replies that he respects that I gave him the opp to speak and that having ridden bikes, lanesplitting is not safe for me. I tell him I appreciate him and traffic starts to move so I take next right and cut through some back streets.

This was interesting for me. I wasn't mad or anything. Actually reading other posts and watching guys on yt personally question wrathful drivers had me anticipating it. I think engaging other drivers and simply acknowledging them with calmness might even change their perspective a bit.
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #32
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
If you personally feel like this is not true or it doesn't go well with your way of thinking and riding just move one to the comment or thread... as you stated already your voiced and opinion regarding my advice for beginner riders

Hmm… That sounds a little like “sit down & shut up”. No?

You’re telling us that you believe (and want us to believe) that every single person who has ridden a motorcycle since they were invented in 1885 has crashed or is going to. There’s no way that’s true.

And you think it’s a good idea to constantly be thinking “I’m going to crash” while we’re riding.
That’s pretty interesting coming from a CMRA racer. I’m glad you’re not my instructor. Common sense tells me that that is not a good plan.

Anyway, like you said: To each his own. Best of luck to ya!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #33
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
wow.. Your welcome??
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #34
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

He's telling us we're all going to crash, jrock. Do you think that's a nice or helpful thing to say?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #35
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Princess* View Post
He's telling us we're all going to crash, jrock. Do you think that's a nice or helpful thing to say?
I think it is good common sense to ride with that mentality. That will help keep you paying attention and on your toes. Always anticipate that going down or getting hit is a possibility. If you are not willing to crash, then I would suggest you do not ride, I did not say wanting to crash, but know it is a possibility and ride accordingly. If you think you won't go down, you will....I have gone down many times over the years, on the track and on the street. I have fortunately never had any serious, life threatening injuries... a few broken bones... I have been lucky... if I were not willing to "crash", the first one would have been my last one.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #36
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

this is why you dress for the slide, and not the ride. thinking that you wont ever crash, just because you haven't yet isnt going to save you when you get flattened by an 18 wheeler running a red light at a blind intersection.
loosenoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #37
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

I just ride more to better my odds but in doing so it increases my chances.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #38
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

I understand that things happen beyond our control sometimes and agree that we should dress for the slide not the ride. I always wear full gear and highly recommend it. I appreciate that riding is a high-risk activity and know that it just takes a split-second for things to go horribly wrong. I know that many riders do go down and I am very aware that it could be me at any time. BUT rather than thinking "I'm going to crash so this may as well be the day" it's much more productive to visualize a positive game-plan for yourself.

Remember all the proper riding techniques you’ve learned, ride within your limits, stay focused, stay smooth, be observant of what's going on around you and anticipate what cars and other riders might do, make wise decisions and NEVER STOP RIDING. Never give up on a turn -- just kiss your mirror and push on the freaking bar!

That makes sense, doesn’t it?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #39
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Just to get my score card right. Is it a crash if you are sitting still at a light and a cager runs you over?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	888C7ACC-3040-43F8-B90E-76F93B62C281.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	102278   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73368D3-EF9F-4D12-9A29-0B712AC908B9.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	102279  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #40
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

I'd say so. Texting while driving much?!

Are you alright?

Advertisement