MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Longhorn

Feedback Rating: (0)

Noob reporting

Got my permit a couple of years ago, and finally managed to get my first bike just last week. 2006 Honda Shadow ACE. 750cc, less than 18k miles.

DEFINITELY want to practice more. Self-imposed rules starting out: no freeway riding or nighttime riding for at least the first six months. A friend recommends spending time on winding county roads to improve maneuvering. Thinking of just spending some time riding through Dickinson, Alvin and the like. Any other recommendations?
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CDC: Texas one of 26 states reporting... NewsBot Health 0 01-07-2018 06:14 PM
Man held for not reporting $259,000 at border NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 11-29-2014 03:50 PM
Sunday noob/noob+/noob++ ride to Yankee TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 70 10-06-2013 06:36 PM
Question about credit reporting. hotcknstrips Off Topic 9 06-17-2010 10:16 PM
REPORTING ON WEED FastLine Off Topic 8 07-31-2005 04:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Attend the instructive group rides posted my Morganator. He knows the roads around here and his pace is great. There are other great ride instructors on racers road too but they are on vacarion for a bit.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Welcome to the madness
Old 02-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Tinola

Bike(s):
ZZR6 08

Welcome to the community,

From the sounds of it, looks like your brand new to riding.
What got you into wanting to ride motorcycles?
Any dream bikes?
Which part of town are you in?
Tinola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Hello and welcome to the forum!
You should be on the lookout for a beginner ride to get to know the roads and the gang.

Here is something a good friend of mine put together. He is also a long time rider/racer/coach

To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Kenneth
AKA Giraffapus, AKA 675R

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018
Triumph Street Triple R 2015 (Sold)
Yamaha FZ6R 2015 (Sold fast)
Suzuki Katana 750 1990 (Sold)
Honda Twinstar 200 1980 (Sold)

Welcome! Glad you're here. There are plenty of meets and group rides and The Morganator, as you have heard, are a great place to start. If your anything like I was when I first started riding your excited and hoping to learn a lot. You hope to be both fast and safe. Here is a link which could offer you some insight and strategies. There are many people who can provide great information but there is no substitute for the original. its a long video but you don't have to watch it all at once and the first 15 min are super helpful.
Hope tp see you on a ride one day!.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Shuhboogie
and his limp member

Bike(s):
'73 CB350FOUR
'11 CBR250R (sold)
'14 Interceptor
'17 CRF250 Rally

I dunno how fast you wanna try to be on a Honda Shadow. Great bike btw.
Spend some time in empty parking lots getting used to the bike and it's weight at low speeds and spend a little time practicing quick stops. Watch your mirrors. Especially when sitting at an intersection and no one is behind you.
Welcome to the two wheel world .
Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Kenneth
AKA Giraffapus, AKA 675R

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018
Triumph Street Triple R 2015 (Sold)
Yamaha FZ6R 2015 (Sold fast)
Suzuki Katana 750 1990 (Sold)
Honda Twinstar 200 1980 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuhboogie View Post
Spend some time in empty parking lots getting used to the bike and it's weight at low speeds and spend a little time practicing quick stops. Watch your mirrors. Especially when sitting at an intersection and no one is behind you.
Good Point.
Instead of "fast" how about,
"Effective emergency, obstacle avoidance, while maneuvering a recliner on wheels, without spilling your beer." ?

Seriously though. The basics of counter-steering apply to all motorcycle and I hope you find the video useful.

Last edited by Kenneth; 03-02-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinola View Post
Welcome to the community,

From the sounds of it, looks like your brand new to riding.
What got you into wanting to ride motorcycles?
Any dream bikes?
Which part of town are you in?
Correct: I am brand new to riding. I never had much interest in motorcycles - my father very much discouraged them growing up - but a couple of friends talked about how much they love riding to unwind. Then I found out about BACA and decided I just had to start riding. Want to volunteer for them at some point.

As far as a dream bike: while I'm definitely partial to cruisers and touring bikes, I can't ever see owning a Harley. Heard too many horror stories about reliability. Maybe a Goldwing or an Indian at some point?

I live in Clear Lake. I found what looks like a good route here running through Manvel and Pearland for countryside riding practice.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Longhorn

Quote:
I spent a few hours on Saturday doing just that. Went to a mostly empty office parking lot and spent time practicing turns, braking, starting and so forth. Then I went out on some larger four-lane roads, went to some other parking lots, etc. Got up to about 55 mph briefly, but didn't really feel comfortable going any faster.

I have a self-imposed six-month moratorium on freeway or nighttime riding. Honestly, I may never feel secure enough to ride on Houston freeways, but an acquaintance said that freeway riding, in spite of the higher speeds, actually tends to be a lot safer than surface roads. Still not feeling confident enough to try it. And before I do, I want to install an LED headlight for improved visibility.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!
You should be on the lookout for a beginner ride to get to know the roads and the gang.

Here is something a good friend of mine put together. He is also a long time rider/racer/coach

To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
I got gloves, a modular full-face helmet and a jacket with level 2 armor. Any recommendations on pants?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
Longhorn

Quote:
As to its speed, a friend of mine rode it home from Richmond where I bought it. Took it on the Sam Houston Tollway. Said it rode just fine at higher speeds. Still not feeling up to taking it on a freeway just yet.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
I got gloves, a modular full-face helmet and a jacket with level 2 armor. Any recommendations on pants?
Kevlar but nothing better than leather.
If all you've got is Jeans, make sure to have knee guard.
They as not expensive at all and they can save you big time!
And BOOTS!!! not tennis shoes, snickers and etc. Boots that won't fly off your feet and protect your ankle!
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-charger-knee-guards
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement