MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

naked VFR800

I can hear the groaning, and the rolling of eyes already, lol
anyone that has followed along with my misadventures through the years knows that I cant just buy a bike, ride and maintain it. This was true with my VFR750, and it's now true with my current VFR800. I have been riding this bike semi nude for a while, and it was riding very well for most of that time, but then I was having an issue with the fan, and temps were starting to rise when I was stopped. The problem was a bad ground, which I fixed. After that, my dang headlight bulbs were burning out. I replaced the bulbs a couple of times. the low beams would go first, and then I think the left high beam would go out a day or two later. A few weeks ago, I officially issued a statement of " IT", and I ordered a round 7 inch headlight, and have stripped the front end of the VFR. A few days ago, I ordered a vapor gauge unit, and was emailed by Trail Tech last night, saying that their gauges would not work on a 98 vfr800... soooo... this is where i'm at... I emailed Trail Tech back, asking if it wont work because it just doesn't connect right up easily, or if it just plain wont work... haven't gotten a response yet.

posting this to hopefully document the transformation of my sad little v4 piggy into a much more spritely v4 play bike.

albertinhouston, or JAE, i'm betting you will see this. I sure could use some help when it comes time to wire up the gauges. I can pay in beer and wings, or whatever. I also have plenty of enticing roads to ride around my area, and could pick up a Yankee's tab.
I dont have any good pics right now, but this front end is basically what i'd like to accomplish, aside from the bad paint.

I don't plan on messing with the cooling system at this time. It does a good job, and the bike usually stays under 200*F while i'm riding. I might later on want to put a slimmer tail on the bike, but for now, it's good as is.
Here's a semi recent pic of the bike. The tank has since then been de-stickered.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new (to me) vfr800! loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 08-21-2017 10:26 AM
2005 VFR800 CDN_bacon Motorcycles For Sale 2 04-15-2016 12:38 PM
VFR800 is back x-ray General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-04-2014 07:25 PM
VFR800 Cans scheinertr9 Performance and Modifications 11 02-17-2011 10:42 PM
1998 VFR800 Tojo92 Motorcycles For Sale 6 07-15-2008 10:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

opinion: there aren't many good looking vfr800 nakeds out there
fact: this is the cleanest vfr750 naked you will ever see
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.p...t-the-process/

unrelated to the above topic, i have been reading up on replacing the big ol' coils, two of which will be exposed, with coil on plug setups from newer cbr's or gsxr's. it doesnt look to be expensive, and will contribute to cleaning up the appearance of the bike.
on the 5th gen vfr, the front cylinders' coils are attatched to the front outside area of the frame, just behind the neck. they are pretty dang ugly, lawl.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

also, the nice folks at trail tech emailed me that they dont have a vapor gauge that will work with the 98 vfr. i have no idea what the problem is. i have heard some talk about having difficulty getting the speedo to work, or the tach to work. idk. i figure it will probably be about the same headache to get a chinese speedo to work, so i'm ordering this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716TGCRT...&pd_rd_w=OJlDA
Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

a link to info on the coil on plug mod
http://vfrworld.com/threads/coil-on-plug-mod.46567/
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Sounds like this is right up Jae’s alley. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

thanks. my poor vfr has been sitting in the car port with it's face all blown up, looking like the predator for about a month. i remember how good my vfr750 felt naked, and i cant wait to get back there with my 8.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Looking like the predator.... Ha!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

I got my speedo in the mail yesterday. all i'm waiting on now are the fork ears to mount the headlight on. i might play with the bike a little, once i get home from work.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

i ordered the gsxr coil on plugs, and the cbr wiring harness i'll use to get rid of the big ol' coils mounted at the front of the frame and back of the air box.
i also got the fork ears in yesterday. i havent had a chance to mess with my vfr, but will be checking it out today after i get home. i'm ready to ride again- who cares about this cold?! lol
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

I got the headlight mounted and hooked up!
On Saturday, if the weather permits, I plan on working on the horrible mess of wires. Looks pretty good so far, yeah? I also got the turn signals mounted, but haven't wired them up yet. Can I wire them up as running lights like stock? The stock harness for the turn signals has 3 wires, and the aftermarket signals have 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043B370F-9196-4647-9955-F5441DFEED2B.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	100164  
Liked this post:
Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600
'06 SV650s
'14 Russian POS
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

with some creative relay wiring I'd think it wouldn't be hard to change them from (normal off, on to signal) to a (normal on, off to signal) that would have the same effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
There conclusions are soo foolish and idiot I can't even begin to take them seriously.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

i took it to a guy in college station for the rewiring nightmare. he runs a shop out of his house, and his rates are pretty low. i should hear something by monday on if the gauge unit will work on my bike or what.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

picking it up from phillip's shop, motorcycles plus, today after i get off work. it's going to be dark, but i'll probably post pics later
he didnt get the tach hooked up, because i'm going to be getting into it prob this weekend with the coil over plug mod. then HOPEFULLY i can get the tach working lol
i'm really pumped! on this morning's comfortable commute, i was thinking how nice it would be to ride instead.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

yeah, so this is how i got the bike back. riding isnt happening for at least a couple more days.

the gauges arent mounted to anything, and he left a lot of wires hanging out everywhere. my dad and i will be chopping it up the next few days, hopefully improving things...

Last edited by loosenoose; 01-25-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

i got everything "finished" yesterday. i forgot to take any decent pics, but really the bike doesnt look so decent right now, lol. the gauges still need a little fiddling for the speedometer to work properly.
https://lynch8787.imgur.com/all/
here's a small imgur album showing what i have going on. the pic of the dash is where i need to enter a 3 digit value to get the speedo to read accurately. i have tried the circumference of the tire, and wheel in cm and inches. i have no clue.
the speed that shows up is very low. like i can be doing 45mph, and it says i'm only doing 3 or 4 mph... any help would be super appreciated.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

update on this sad project...
i shortened the harness and had everything secured. i charged the battery and took it for a short ride. felt real good. when i got it home, the battery was dead again. i put it back on the charger, and wound up killing the battery, and i guess the stater and rr. i didnt find out about that for a while, because i threw another batt into the bike and went for a ride into town. didnt make it into town, because the thing completely died on me. maybe the wiring in the speedo was completely screwed up and shorted some stuff out, too. pretty much the only thing that worked were most of my idiot lights and my fuel gauge. the speedo was way off, and the right turn signal was screwed up. when i tried to use it, the display would flash.
a buddy picked me up, and suggested i take it to a buddy mechanic's. i was pretty off at the whole situation, and should have had him bring it back to my house, but i said ok. it's been at the new shop here in montgomery for like 2 months now. i bought a new battery, stator, rr, and the guy installed them. last week, he suggested i buy a new speedo unit, because he wanted to start over. the last guy had screwed some stuff up, and i'm sure i wasnt a lot of help, with my shortening of the harness. i got an acewell mini digital doodad for a lot less than i paid around 10 years ago, the last time i bought one of these. it looks really nice, and has great instructions. it was a lot more than my $40 chinese unit, but lol, this one's not .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acewell-MD0...53.m2749.l2649

so yeah, i'm back to hoping things work out. this guy is taking his time, but my friend assures me he's really good, and cheap. reminds me of that saying that you cant get cheap, reliable, and fast. pick 2.
Liked this post:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #17
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Electrical gremlins can be a , you dont really NEED a speedo and tach do you?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
cbrfxr67

Bike(s):
00 Electra Glide
gs500/929rr thing,...

Hope things go better at this shop!
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

Hoping in a couple of weeks or so, I have a big ol naked vfr to play with and commute on, and yeah, Gremlins are a
Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
vstrom650

Member Garage

i should be picking the bike up tomorrow morning some time
hopeful and excited! i'll post some pics when i can. my guy says everything's working now with the new acewell gauge i got him. he's trying to get the speedo set correctly, but everything else is supposedly working great.
Liked this post:

Advertisement