MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #61
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I really don't blame the millenials. I blame Steve Jobs. I think that asswipe has single handledly ruined the millenial generation. Fark Steve Jobs and his little fruit phone. I'm glad he's dead.
First thing you have said in a long time that Iíve agreed with.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JLo has a new species of water mite named after her NewsBot Entertainment 0 07-17-2014 11:00 AM
supressors now OK for hunting game species urbanXJ Off Topic 7 03-30-2012 07:28 AM
MEN ARE THE SAME, NO MATTER WHAT SPECIES Jay Off Topic 20 09-09-2009 04:18 PM
Previously extinct species brought back to life tkblank Off Topic 14 02-01-2009 03:48 PM
New Species of bird found in NOLA BoostJunkie Off Topic 10 04-27-2006 09:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #62
Auguste

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
14 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
08 Vespa GTS 250ie
02 Ducati 998

Motorbike sales are declining in the States amongst women, millennials, and minorities. Most of the posts have been curmudgeonly and anti-Luddite attacks against millenials. However, The Great Dane and Lorin70 were spot on.

The biggest factor is growing income and wealth inequality thanks to this current flavour of predatory capitalism -- which has emphasized automation, outsourcing, and the gains of globalization only flowing to owners and investors rather than workers. Generally the USA practiced safety-net capitalism between 1930 and 1980, which combined free markets with a strong safety net for the 99%.

Now, Millenials are saddled with roughly $32,000 of student loans and they earn about $35,000/year. Most of you may be unaware that Millenials' purchasing power is down for nearly everything: they are not buying houses, cars, jewelry, cameras, RVs, or even bicycles. I am a huge HiFi aficionado, and I observe the same pattern there. Helicopter parenting plays a part, but not to the degree claimed here. I know (wealthy) Millennials that jump out of airplanes, go white water rafting, etc. This generation emphasize buying "experiences" rather than things, but their rejection of materialism is for necessity instead of preference.

In addition, there are America's healthcare woes. Some of you are familiar with how costly it is to get into a motorbike accident in terms of medical bills, lost labour income, etc. Millenials have the highest rate of no health insurance, partly because the jobs they can get don't offer generous benefits like what Boomers used to have.

Infrastructure is another problem. Roads are much more congested and in worse shape today than they were between '45 and '65. The power of modern bikes and the numerous obstacles on the street vs. the track means too many people died since the 80s -- which cast a negative image of bikes being dangerous to recent parents. Furthermore, driver education training and traffic enforcement is deplorable. It doesn't help that poor mass transit means there are too many people behind the wheel that have no business driving.

My partner and I have young children, and we're moving back overseas due to career prospects and higher standards of living. They will learn to ride offroad and onroad. If they insist on aggressive street riding it will be ATGATT with airbag suits, full-face helmets, and so on. Since healthcare and tuition will be included with taxes along with excellent schools, I hope they'll face fewer barriers to riding since Generation Z won't be immune to the issues affecting Millenials.
Auguste is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #63
Marlbor084

Bike(s):
2017 ninja 650

Nothing really gets a generation going like a movie. When was the last good motorcycle movie? That got everyone humping their tank the next day. Fast and furious got people into car some $hitty cars but cars. Rankin, good night trail, brittmoore, park row were crowed. I think it's about a generation who has no interest in anything. But what's on the TV or in the theatre or in their hand
Marlbor084 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement