MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
My very first track day was exactly this. Not offered by MSRH directly but rather via ďspecialĒ relationship of a group of responsible bike riding members. Itís funny I only learned of motohouston from this group. While was 190$ over 10yrs ago was worth every penny. I wouldnít say could never happen. It was a very good business model and was the simplest and best run TD. I could be spoiled by first experiences but im certain others here also recall and could chime in.
That was then, this is now
Make friends with a member...you can go pay daily use fee on their membership, that is when MSRH starts letting guests back in again.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH membership Boxerboy2 Taking it to the Track 16 09-11-2015 09:01 AM
MSRH track membership questions BryanE Taking it to the Track 41 08-29-2014 10:26 AM
TMGP Membership? paulie12 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 30 01-29-2014 08:29 AM
katy membership??? Thomas Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 11-25-2008 06:11 AM
TD vs Membership BigComfy Taking it to the Track 32 01-06-2008 03:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
That was then, this is now
Make friends with a member...you can go pay daily use fee on their membership, that is when MSRH starts letting guests back in again.
Hmm.. can you share what this daily use fee would be? Who says money canít buy friends afterall
Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #23
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

keep in mind, you are allowed only to be a guest 3 times per year.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #24
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Hmm.. can you share what this daily use fee would be? Who says money canít buy friends afterall
$160 plus tax is the daily fee
Liked this post:
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #25
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testiesalmon View Post
Whats harris like? haven't ridden there yet.
I had fun out there in my 03 terminator and a buddyís c5 , I liked the elevation changes and turn 1 can be interesting with hot brakes. Compared to msr itís much slower and honestly I liked msr a lot more.
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #26
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2 tricycle motors, no more bikes.

Member Garage

To be in this "group" does the main membership holder have to be there or some specific minimum percentage of the group to ride?
Could a "group" member bring a guest being that they are not a full member?

Will the group have any additional access to facilities such as a garage or tool box? Any more than a regular TD rider?

My dad was member #10 out there. He had a 420 Shelby Cobra and a Subaru WRX STi and a garage. I had bikes. I was always able to keep my bikes in his garage, but if I ever wanted to be a guest he had to be there too and the timing/planning never worked out.

it was cool to be there on TD's with a garage. But I was a slow guy and probably looked more like a goof who shelled out tons of money for a hobby that I sucked at lol. Good times.

Last edited by matemike; 04-09-2020 at 06:00 AM.
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #27
RC45

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

The very reason I am an MSRH member is because I have access to the track when I want it and I want it when there are only 1 o r 2 other bikes on track - I even prefer to be the only bike on track.

If I wanted to be part of a track day rush hour procession then I would be at a typical track day rush hour procession.

The fact that membership gets easy uncrowded access is the hook.

The track is there wether 1 bike/car runs or 10 bikes or cars run - so why sell daily access?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #28
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The very reason I am an MSRH member is because I have access to the track when I want it and I want it when there are only 1 o r 2 other bikes on track - I even prefer to be the only bike on track.

If I wanted to be part of a track day rush hour procession then I would be at a typical track day rush hour procession.

The track is there wether 1 bike/car runs or 10 bikes or cars run - so why sell daily access?
Exactly
Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #29
RC45

Bike(s):

And even at $5k buy-in itís cheap at the price.

There are a number of $40,000, $50,000 and even $100,000 buy-in tracks around the US now.

, in 2006 MSRH buy-in was $35,000 for founders members and $15,000 for regular schmoes. lol

And you canít do this at regular track days - take out a 32 year old GP bike on any Wednesday morning and deal with the inevitable issues that crop up.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #30
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
To be in this "group" does the main membership holder have to be there or some specific minimum percentage of the group to ride?
Could a "group" member bring a guest being that they are not a full member?

Will the group have any additional access to facilities such as a garage or tool box? Any more than a regular TD rider?

My dad was member #10 out there. He had a 420 Shelby Cobra and a Subaru WRX STi and a garage. I had bikes. I was always able to keep my bikes in his garage, but if I ever wanted to be a guest he had to be there too and the timing/planning never worked out.

it was cool to be there on TD's with a garage. But I was a slow guy and probably looked more like a goof who shelled out tons of money for a hobby that I sucked at lol. Good times.
The only reason for the "group" is for us to be able to negotiate a better membership buy in rate.

Members can go and use the track on any day that it is open to members.
Guests of a member must attend with the member and track staff will check.
Guests are not members, but can attend with a member for the daily rate.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #31
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
ZX-10R Trackbike
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom
Felt 29er
Specialized Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
Is there any outlook or plan on re-paving/re-grading the track? i love the track, but it's got more bumps than Edward James Olmos' face.
anything on this?
Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 AM   #32
testiesalmon

Quote:

so they can make more money, and the hopefully resurface and all those good things
testiesalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:02 AM   #33
testiesalmon

Also think after the initial novelty, the non-member demand wouldn't be anything like what you'd see at a ridesmart day for example. Instead, I would expect it to catch on with those that are between casual and full-fledge track day-ers.

MSRC has more laxed rules for example, with many riding group members having open access to the track. But it's rarely overcrowded.

Could even just make one, or maybe two, sunday's a month as non-member days. That should keep existing members happy, who obviously wouldn't be restricted in going on non-member days either... and who knows? may even give the local houston sportsbike market a little bump in demand, and then the goodness from that can flow-down too.

Don't really see a down-side.

Last edited by testiesalmon; 04-10-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:27 AM   #34
RC45

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by testiesalmon View Post
so they can make more money, and the hopefully resurface and all those good things
But whats the point of a super busy track that is constantly rush hour like every track day?

I have been riding and tracking since 1989 before I even got to the USA and to this day still don't get the big attraction of a parade of 30 bikes all getting in each others way and upping the potential for a cluster when there is no prize or podium on the line.

If I wanted to race, I would race - I just want to ride my own ride but on track.

Track memberships serve this need. Crowded track days serve theirs.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #35
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
But whats the point of a super busy track that is constantly rush hour like every track day?

I have been riding and tracking since 1989 before I even got to the USA and to this day still don't get the big attraction of a parade of 30 bikes all getting in each others way and upping the potential for a cluster when there is no prize or podium on the line.

If I wanted to race, I would race - I just want to ride my own ride but on track.

Track memberships serve this need. Crowded track days serve theirs.
Would having one or two open track days every month or two for non members really be so bad? People like me who only go a few times per year would really appreciate the option.

- I just want to ride my own ride but on the track once or twice a year without spending more than my bike costs
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #36
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloman View Post
Would having one or two open track days every month or two for non members really be so bad? People like me who only go a few times per year would really appreciate the option.

- I just want to ride my own ride but on the track once or twice a year without spending more than my bike costs
Then this deal is not for you.
MSRH will never do that.

Your alternatives are 3:16 Track Days or the cluster of Ride Smart.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #37
testiesalmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
Then this deal is not for you.
MSRH will never do that.

Your alternatives are 3:16 Track Days or the cluster of Ride Smart.
Yeh, if you are after 1-5 days a year. Then you are pretty casual in my mind, and the riding group day/organizations should have you covered.

I'm talking more about the segment of demand between those that are more dedicated and can justify a membership, and those that want to do more than just casual riding. Lets say, those that want to ride 10-20 times a year.

It's that group I think MSRH are missing out on. And that group, that I think would create a net positive benefit for all, members alike, if they did a better job of serving.

And as I said, MSRC is much more open in that respect, and I have never seen 30 riders there on a given (non-riding group) day. Not even close.

Last edited by testiesalmon; 04-10-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #38
diggler

Thanks to those who had a look.

The deal is now over and MSRH has 7 new members.
Excellent buy in price, best I've ever seen and a good group of guys/gals to be riding track with.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #39
lorin70

Bike(s):
ZX9R
1098 SF
FZ6
KZ650
ASICS GT2000

I guess I need to check in more frequently. I was likely to join, but I guess not anymore.
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #40
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
ZX-10R Trackbike
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom
Felt 29er
Specialized Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
I guess I need to check in more frequently. I was likely to join, but I guess not anymore.
take a look at ECR as an option. it's a super nice facility. Plus, the track is actually smooth.

Advertisement