MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Htownz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,298

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i









How have you beated a Ticket in Court???

Have a court date coming up in December which is trial by Jury. I will be leaving town for a while here next week. Instead of hiring a lawyer, if you were to fight the ticket yourself, what arguments have you made if it is your word vs. a cop's word?

Scenario: Going down 45 south on a Sunday afternoon. Was in the middle lane, while this HPD officer was on the shoulder on the downslope of the bridge going over Fuqua (right before alameda mall). He must have pulled me over at least a couple of miles away just past the beltway. I know it was someone else he tagged.

Is there any convincing argument you have used when fighting a ticket alone in court that seems to have worked? I plan on showing where he was in relation to my car and lane, # of cars on the road, etc. Anything else that may be of value I could add?
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man whose gun discharged at Bush IAH ticket counter appears in court NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 06-30-2015 12:40 PM
sugarland court and the traffic ticket master bombsaway General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 09-17-2010 08:52 PM
Supreme Court: 'Gitmo Detainees Have Rights in Court' CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 185 06-17-2008 03:49 PM
Pay Ticket or Court? Motogp05 Off Topic 30 06-19-2006 08:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spring TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 936

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home









i wouldn't go unarmed... sullo and sullo and $75 takes care of mine
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 34,720

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold






is that a micheal jackson thing, beated?

houston court is a ticket machine.........they're not gonna really hear your case, officers word> yours.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
urbanXJ
erect engorged member
 
urbanXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 16,703

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys









sullo and sullo are noobs, those guys actually advertise

If you want a traffic lawyer that is going to "punch that cop in the nose" so to say, give Raymond Rutherford a call. He prolly still lets his clients park at his house (3 blocks away from the lubbock courthouse) so you don't have to pay the city for parking either. This guy lives to jack the courts and officers. He has prolly defended me on 30 different charges over the last 10 years, and my record is still clean, spotless.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
"... I say the govt puts something in the water that sterilizes all women..."
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 15,252

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard









Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
is that a micheal jackson thing, beated?

houston court is a ticket machine.........they're not gonna really hear your case, officers word> yours.
if you aren't a lawyer or ex-cop, you're wasting your time. ask me how I know this 4 times already this year with 1 more to go.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Homebrew
AkA Rubbersidedown
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: land of pears
Feedback Rating: (25)
Posts: 2,686

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
gsxr 600
custom pocket rocket








i usually postpone mine till latest possible night court date....no po-pos ever show and they drop it ? works for me

the court is not prepared at this time to hear your case.....dismissed
__________________
I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money.
You can keep THE CHANGE.
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 34,720

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
if you aren't a lawyer or ex-cop, you're wasting your time. ask me how I know this 4 times already this year with 1 more to go.
so are you agreeing or disagreeing w/ me?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
eltejano
I smell pretty
 
eltejano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Round Rock
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,549

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track







I beat a suspended license ticket by sitting in the lawyer/DA conference room where all the lawyers go when you are in court with my arms crossed and told them I wasnt leaving til they dismissed it. Just stared at the assistant DAs all day long til one got sick of looking at me and just threw it out and told me to get lost.

BTW, all the shady that goes on back there between lawyers and asst DAs is pretty wacky.
__________________
"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln
"Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it." -Navin R. Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Drumboy
Senior Member
 
Drumboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Heights
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,089

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R








You aren't beating it by yourself with "your word against the cop's" unless he doesn't show up. I always delay as many times as I can and the cop's only shown up once.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Htownz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,298

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i









Thanks for the feedback. I hear that they reschedule the date now if the cop doesn't show up?

I heard David Sprecher was a good lawyer. My only deal is that most of these lawyers will meet you ten minutes before your time, introduce themselves, and hope for the best. I doubt they could care less if they don't win.

So my question is what works if you fight the ticket alone? What happened to the days where you can go alone and argue your case? It seems that today, everyone is in on the take and it's always in one's best interest to hire an attorney.
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 34,720

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold






i've used sprecher ALOT, 95% get dismissed.

and yeah thats how and other operate, i've seen him get customers sitting in the bleachers........lol

your $100 is peanuts, but 10 peanuts for 1 hr = alot of butta!


he was on the cover of houston press a while back.....cool!
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid
 
FlipSideUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston - Memorial
Feedback Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,605

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
Have a court date coming up in December which is trial by Jury. I will be leaving town for a while here next week. Instead of hiring a lawyer, if you were to fight the ticket yourself, what arguments have you made if it is your word vs. a cop's word?

Scenario: Going down 45 south on a Sunday afternoon. Was in the middle lane, while this HPD officer was on the shoulder on the downslope of the bridge going over Fuqua (right before alameda mall). He must have pulled me over at least a couple of miles away just past the beltway. I know it was someone else he tagged.

Is there any convincing argument you have used when fighting a ticket alone in court that seems to have worked? I plan on showing where he was in relation to my car and lane, # of cars on the road, etc. Anything else that may be of value I could add?
Why do you say this? Was there another vehicle between you and the cop, or anywhere close by? Were you on your bike or cage? I don't know if any of that matters anyway, if you don't have proof. It's your word vs. his, and I'm sure he will testify it was YOU he tagged, no ifs, ands, or buts.

If you insist on going it alone, your best bet is to do alot of research on how radars work, and what factors may limit/distort their accuracy, and see if any of those factors played a role in your scenario. I will also say, however, that if I was in that Jury, getting paid $5/day (or whatever it is) to hear anything close to bs, you're is grass!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Htownz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,298

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i









Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Why do you say this? Was there another vehicle between you and the cop, or anywhere close by? Were you on your bike or cage? I don't know if any of that matters anyway, if you don't have proof. It's your word vs. his, and I'm sure he will testify it was YOU he tagged, no ifs, ands, or buts.
:
Cage. I am definitely sure it wasn't me. I was in the middle lane with folks speeding around me. I would take the deferred, DD, etc gladly if I knew I was at fault. Here, I am wondering how the system works in principle if anyone has had any luck on thier own. Any success stories??


Quote:
If you insist on going it alone, your best bet is to do alot of research on how radars work, and what factors may limit/distort their accuracy, and see if any of those factors played a role in your scenario. I will also say, however, that if I was in that Jury, getting paid $5/day (or whatever it is) to hear anything close to bs, you're is grass!
Good stuff. I asked to see the radar but he said "everything is digital and it has already been sent to central processing" Aside from that he actually told me to get a lawyer once I told him I believe he tagged someone else.

What is also irritating is that he clocked "80 in a 60" which just sounded a little cliche. Atleast throw in a prime number or something. This is thier breakdown

1-5 mph over 165.00
6-9 mph over 180.00
10-14 mph over 195.00
15-19 mph over 240.00
20-29 mph over 265.00

I wouldn't be so concerned if it was under 200.
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 15,252

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard









Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so are you agreeing or disagreeing w/ me?
I am seriously considering the likelyhood and possibility of weighing the pros and cons of aligning myself with your end of the see saw.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid
 
FlipSideUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston - Memorial
Feedback Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,605

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I am seriously considering the likelyhood and possibility of weighing the pros and cons of aligning myself with your end of the see saw.
That's about as close as he will ever get to saying he agrees with you, Ed.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey
 
SpeedCheeser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston - Med Center
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,544

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves









my strategy is usually to avoid the ticket all together. to accompkish this i usually jump out of the car immediately after getting pulled over and advance on the officer with my bare hands in the air shouting "what did i do?". i guess since you already got the ticket, maybe you could try the same method on the judge and jury?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Htownz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,298

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i









Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
my strategy is usually to avoid the ticket all together. to accompkish this i usually jump out of the car immediately after getting pulled over and advance on the officer with my bare hands in the air shouting "what did i do?". i guess since you already got the ticket, maybe you could try the same method on the judge and jury?
haha.. man you need to get off that officer's nuts man. You still stuck on that?
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey
 
SpeedCheeser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston - Med Center
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,544

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves









Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
haha.. man you need to get off that officer's nuts man. You still stuck on that?
i just thought it was funny and appropriate for the thread. actually surprised i was the first to bring it up.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
i've never beated a ticket, but I have beaten a ticket. Wait is that grammatically correct either?

I should say, I have beat a ticket in court. , I'm having a brain fart.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
urbanXJ
erect engorged member
 
urbanXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 16,703

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys









babababa BEATEN





i think
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
"... I say the govt puts something in the water that sterilizes all women..."
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy