MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #21
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

I blame it on the postage stamp developments. Simply there is nowhere for kids to ride conveniently without negative consequences.

A kid hasnít lived proper until you rode a Briggs and Stratton mini bike with no brakes while wearing flip flops!

ďShrink it and pink it.Ē Thatís kinda funny.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JLo has a new species of water mite named after her NewsBot Entertainment 0 07-17-2014 11:00 AM
supressors now OK for hunting game species urbanXJ Off Topic 7 03-30-2012 07:28 AM
MEN ARE THE SAME, NO MATTER WHAT SPECIES Jay Off Topic 20 09-09-2009 04:18 PM
Previously extinct species brought back to life tkblank Off Topic 14 02-01-2009 03:48 PM
New Species of bird found in NOLA BoostJunkie Off Topic 10 04-27-2006 09:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #22
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
This is why I gave up street riding (except my dual sport which is only used to get from trail to trail and on beer runs) Its not worth it to ride the street anymore and I would NEVER encourage my kids to ride the street. Now trail riding, dirtbiking and track I would encourage as the risk is alot less.
I see myself riding less and less street the older my daughter gets. Commuting on a bike is no longer appealing for a number of reasons. 1. Other drivers suck 2. Itís a straight line the whole way 3. It can rain sometimes without warning

I trailer my bike for a couple hour ride to the country rather than actually ride it there because itís just not appealing making it from point a to b on 2 wheels anymore.

Trackdays, dirt riding and the occasional blast thru Brenham with the Morganator is all thatís fun to me now
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #23
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I think part of it is our society.

We label everything TOO DANGEROUS and teach our kids to stay safe and protect them from everything.

Growing up as a kid, I couldn't wait to ride a motorcycle. I was infatuated with them.

Parents USED to get out and ride dirt bikes with their kids. Which, in turn gave them some experience and a "drive" to get their own motorcycles when they got older.

These days, the younger generations just don't have an interest or the physical skills needed to operate one. They feel "unsafe", and everything these days are supposed to be SAFE SAFE SAFE.

This is all just my opinion. I could be wrong.
that's what i see in our neighborhood. I never see any other kids besides mine out riding their bike down the road to visit friends. mine go all over but the other's never come to mine. I think there are too many parents that feel it's unsafe and don't let the kids live, and therefore, don't let them wonder around, much less have a motorized toy.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
This is why I gave up street riding (except my dual sport which is only used to get from trail to trail and on beer runs) Its not worth it to ride the street anymore and I would NEVER encourage my kids to ride the street. Now trail riding, dirtbiking and track I would encourage as the risk is alot less.
I don't. I think I am been alot more hurt from motocross and trail riding than I ever have on the street.

As far as being a part of a dying breed. doesn't bother me I got to do what I love and I am still doing it. If millenials are too big of pussified netflix imbred snowflakes to ride, I don't care. Less morons on the road texting when driving.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #25
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
I remember as kids I had a little xr70 and a couple other kids had bikes. We would ride the bayous everyday for hours as soon as we got out of school. Sometimes the cops would chase us and sometimes they didnít care. It was fun as and I wouldnít trade those memories for anything. I would love to see kids today hauling through the bayous on 50s. Better than staying inside.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #26
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post
I remember as kids I had a little xr70 and a couple other kids had bikes. We would ride the bayous everyday for hours as soon as we got out of school. Sometimes the cops would chase us and sometimes they didnít care. It was fun as and I wouldnít trade those memories for anything. I would love to see kids today hauling through the bayous on 50s. Better than staying inside.
No kidding. We had a blast riding dirtbikes. We had the ole trails that we would make jumps and do all kinds of crazy things. Only time a had a cop pull a gun on me was when I was riding some oil fields and he said halt and I said whatever until he shot a round off in the air and then I stopped. Wait one other time a cop drew on me when I was jumping sand traps on a golf course(forgot about him) Man that judge was at me... I guess cause I was 32 years old.
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #27
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post

This is me still despite the fact Iím a grown adult
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #28
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Well, I'll play devil's advocate. Is crossing the Beltway and riding the streets (bicycles) nearly as "safe" today as it was 20 years ago? I think traffic counts are up as well as distractions to most drivers these days. I live near a tributary, I do hear dirt bikes and four wheelers on a pretty routine basis...seen some hooligans even ride them in the streets.

You act like you didn't stay inside during the heat of summer beating on the ol' Hewlett Packard keyboard playing DOS editions of Wolfenstien. BS. My kids are still too young to compare, but at the age of like 8 I was running the hood, bayous, went all the way to JV for the "jumps" and magazines and then stopped by Circle K to see if I could get a glimpse behind the plastic cover in the magazine section. Kids get the at fingertips these days....they don't have to go looking for it.

Last edited by dbuck; 07-10-2018 at 05:24 PM.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Track_Graphics

The safety issue is the most important to me. Bigger and faster is so dangerous to the potentially new rider because what if he can't stop fast enough and he goes right off the edge of the flat earth????
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #30
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I think part of it is our society.

We label everything TOO DANGEROUS and teach our kids to stay safe and protect them from everything.

Growing up as a kid, I couldn't wait to ride a motorcycle. I was infatuated with them.

Parents USED to get out and ride dirt bikes with their kids. Which, in turn gave them some experience and a "drive" to get their own motorcycles when they got older.

These days, the younger generations just don't have an interest or the physical skills needed to operate one. They feel "unsafe", and everything these days are supposed to be SAFE SAFE SAFE.

This is all just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Bingo. Too much risk, so let's no do it.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #31
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Bingo. Too much risk, so let's no do it.
So they can get nice and old and never have any fun in life because of the chance they might get hurt. It's really sad when you think about it.
Liked this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #32
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

hey, I'm a millenial and I can deny every negative comment said here yet sadly, I can agree to an extent for the whole, looking from the outside in I can say that hardly anyone in my generation rides motorcycles (even more so possess the mechanical skills to work on anything), and most would be afraid to and for good reasons, honestly. Motorcycles aren't for everyone

Last edited by Gixxerguy86; 07-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Gixxerguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #33
Naked_Biker

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'15 Yamaha FJ-09
'12 Suzuki TU250X (Sold)

Public image plays a major part. To the layman, the only times they see motorcycles is leather wrapped Sons of Anarchy wannabes, hoards of idiots stunting on busy public roads, or a crotch rocket running from the cops. The media will never report on the average motorcyclist because it won't get ratings. Just the how all gun owners are viewed as rednecks or criminals to the gun fearing public. The best way to keep and grow the sport is for us to pass it on to friends and family.
Naked_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Biker View Post
The media will never report on the average motorcyclist because it won't get ratings.
Coming up at 10pm, Joe Blow rode his bike to work today. Did he have a nice ride home? We'll tell you after the break.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #35
Naked_Biker

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'15 Yamaha FJ-09
'12 Suzuki TU250X (Sold)

Asia, "Typical morning rush hour traffic."

US, "Biker gang take over the city and terrorizes public."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	529254011.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	101549  
Naked_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #36
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Asia, "Typical morning rush hour traffic."

US, "Scooter gang take over the city and terrorizes public."
fify
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #37
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Coming up at 10pm, Joe Blow rode his bike to work today. Did he have a nice ride home? We'll tell you after the break.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #38
FE_rex

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 Rocket
09 FLHP
08 VSCRAW
05 VSCRA
14 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
A kid hasnít lived proper until you rode a Briggs and Stratton mini bike with no brakes while wearing flip flops!
Still got the scar on my ankle from centrifugal clutch

Guards - we don't need no stinkin guards
FE_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #39
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Public image plays a major part. To the layman, the only times they see motorcycles is leather wrapped Sons of Anarchy wannabes, hoards of idiots stunting on busy public roads, or a crotch rocket running from the cops. The media will never report on the average motorcyclist because it won't get ratings. Just the how all gun owners are viewed as rednecks or criminals to the gun fearing public. The best way to keep and grow the sport is for us to pass it on to friends and family.
Hey what is wrong with hoards of idiots stunting on public roads? Don't be a hater. Or running from the cops for that matter(maybe the rider doesn't have the time to pull over and be hassled by the man) If the man wants to catch us, maybe he needs to trade his crown vic in on a gixxer.
Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #40
TheGreatDane

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
L6 GSX-S 750
K6 GSX-R 750 (Sold)
K7 GSX-R 600 (R.I.P.)
'12 Ninja 650r (Wife's)

Member Garage

Sorry for being late to the conversation.

Y'all aren't thinking this through by just blaming millennials and their "bubble-wrapped childhoods." The motorcyle sales drop off is due the direction our entire society is going, Gen Xers included (sorry, yall aren't perfect).

The average millennial income (age 22-35) is $35k a year. You all should know well that does not allow for much hobby money with where today's living expenses are. Motorcycling gives us an adrenaline rush- aka a dopamine dump. The millenials are able to get that same dopamine dump by playing video games and through social media. I get it- it's sad as , but they're still fullfilling their needs by doing it this way (and at a much cheaper cost). If they are not "gamers" they still spend their time outside, but just like the article stated, they prefer biking and hiking. Why is that? Again, restricted income. I have plenty of friends who want to join the sport, they just simply can't afford it. We all know that motorcycles aren't cheap. Replacing gear constantly isn't cheap. And maintenance isn't getting any cheaper (Even when you do it yourself). Look at what the Grom did to Honda's sales. They made a fun, affordable bike that was perfect for college kids and hipsters, and the millenials took it and ran with it.

Then there's the reality that a vast majority of motorcyclists are buying motorcycles used and abused off of Craigslist- not new models off the showroom floor. Second hand motorcycles aren't going to keep an entire industry going. Especially when they aren't being purchased at dealerships. If you guys want to save the industry, we need Gen Xers to start buying new motorcycles from local dealerships. After that, they need to find a non-motorcyclist friend and get them to buy a new bike from a dealership. Can't afford it? Then how do you get off accusing a generation in the lowest income bracket that this is their fault? Baby Boomers left a gap, and Gen Xers need to step up- not skip ahead to blaming millennials.

Having trouble convincing your friends? Maybe it's because we all know how up riding on the streets are nowadays. EVERYONE has their phone sitting in their lap while driving and couldn't give a about safe driving. The fear of being rear ended is much more prominent in today's society versus the Baby Boomer's generation. So people now have easier access to dopamine, at a cheaper cost, in controlled environments. People will risk breaking a leg mountain biking before risking some asshat rear ending them and permanently disfiguring or killing them.

Obviously there are a multitude of reasons for the industry to be on the decline. Look at the broader picture instead of just jumping on this bullshit, "Millenials are ruining everything" bandwagon.

*Rant over*

Advertisement