MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
classala
3-Lap Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Riding in Extreme Heat

Last week's Beyond the Track covered many tips on riding in extreme heat. With the weather temperatures going up, I hope some of these tips may be useful to other people out there as well.

classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City activates 49 cooling centers amid extreme heat NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-08-2015 04:20 PM
Dangers of medications amid extreme heat NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-07-2015 08:00 PM
Staying safe in extreme summer heat NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-31-2015 05:20 PM
Extreme Heat: A Prevention Guide Slyder General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-16-2011 11:46 AM
Extreme Heat: A Prevention Guide Slyder Motorcycle Articles 3 08-16-2011 11:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
ConcordEagle

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Excellent points. "Hydrate and urinate" is what I learned in the army.

For those of you going to COTA this Memorial weekend, start hydrating NOW. Don't wait until Saturday.

Just checked Austin weather and it's a high of 98* both days.
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
Excellent points. "Hydrate and urinate" is what I learned in the army.
For those of you going to COTA this Memorial weekend, start hydrating NOW. Don't wait until Saturday.
Just checked Austin weather and it's a high of 98* both days.
Yeah, I remember an instructor saying "if you're not going often to the bathroom that's a good indication you're not drinking enough water", or something along those lines.
classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Sportytoes

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 CBR929RE
1990 PC800
2000 CBR929RR (trackbike)
1988 YSR50

Send a message via AIM to Sportytoes Send a message via Skype™ to Sportytoes
1. Might sound unconventional but don’t forget the sunblock! Keep your skin as healthy as you can as it is the surface through which you cool. Need to keep it working efficiently. Observe how hot a sunburn feels, that isn’t the right way to keep you cool.

2. Take a cheap towel to the track with you. Dunk it in the ice chest. Wrap your head until chilled.

3. Ice packs: there are modern equivalents call “phase change” materials. They freeze like ice but at a higher temp (~60 F). More comfortable against your body than ice. They can be refrozen in an ice chest since the ise water is at 32 but the packs freeze at 60. Any good track day will have ice chests around to recharge between sessions. Put your name in sharpie on your cooling pack. They all look alike in the ice chest.

4. If you go icy: remember that a frozen block is loike a brick inside your suit. How well would your ribs do against a solid brick in a crash? Let the ice melt a bit so there is a water layer around the ice. That is more cushiony against your ribs in a crash.
Sportytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2017 Terracraft Super Trike
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I keep a rag in my ice chest for my neck when I get off track. I also keep gallon Zip lock bags and fill with ice and put under my suit on my chest. You don't even notice the cold after the first session lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportytoes View Post
1. Might sound unconventional but don’t forget the sunblock! Keep your skin as healthy as you can as it is the surface through which you cool. Need to keep it working efficiently. Observe how hot a sunburn feels, that isn’t the right way to keep you cool.

2. Take a cheap towel to the track with you. Dunk it in the ice chest. Wrap your head until chilled.

3. Ice packs: there are modern equivalents call “phase change” materials. They freeze like ice but at a higher temp (~60 F). More comfortable against your body than ice. They can be refrozen in an ice chest since the ise water is at 32 but the packs freeze at 60. Any good track day will have ice chests around to recharge between sessions. Put your name in sharpie on your cooling pack. They all look alike in the ice chest.

4. If you go icy: remember that a frozen block is loike a brick inside your suit. How well would your ribs do against a solid brick in a crash? Let the ice melt a bit so there is a water layer around the ice. That is more cushiony against your ribs in a crash.
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
ConcordEagle

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

The best trick to stay cool in L1 or L2 is to attend class. All Ridesmart classrooms I've been to always have AC and plenty fans blowing. Towels and hydration work too, but there is nothing like cold AC blowing in your face. Plus you may actually learn something.
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500

RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

One of the biggest things in the heat is to have help. Having someone with a fan and swing arm stand ready is wonderful. I ride a bike with kick start so help with warmers and all the stuff that needs done allows you time to relax and keep your mind on the he important stuff. Staying on two wheels.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement