MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Wawazat?!
Bruce my Willis

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'18 HD Breakout
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

My adventure in SoCal

I was on a business trip to LA from Feb 5th-16th and had a weekend off to do whatever. It was recommended to me to go on a trip to see the beach, snow, and desert all in one day. Not very many places you can do that! So I decided to rent a motorcycle and make it happen.

I started out in La Mirada around 7:00 on a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy headed towards Big Bear Mountain. I made quick progress to the other side of San Bernadino and had to stop to check the weather. It had gotten below 50 with a light mist. I saw it was about to clear and I didn't have far to go to get above the cloud layer. There was about an hour window where it would be in the 60's at the top. The ride up was nothing short of spectacular as the visibility got increasingly better. I stopped about every thousand feet of elevation I reached to take pictures. Step one of the journey complete as I reached the snow at the top! It was still early, so I pressed on down the other side to head to the desert.

The ride down was a little steeper and didn't offer many stopping places for photo opportunities. The view was spectacular as I was exiting the forest and could see miles of desert ahead. The road finally straightened out and went into the horizon without a turn in sight. The mountain ranges offered a view like nothing else. I even had a tumbleweed cross the road maybe 150 feet in front of me! There were hundreds of RV's, Jeeps, and toy haulers in the oncoming lane. They were coming from King of the Hammers! I rode right passed the entrance and didn't bother to check it out because I was hungry for lunch. I followed the trailers going my way into Joshua Tree for a cold beer and bite to eat. Step two: Check!

After my pit-stop and some quick sight-seeing, I headed back West for the first time through the Morongo Valley. Some wind turbines appeared in the distance and soon I saw a big, yellow sign that read, "CAUTION HIGH WINDS." This can't be good... They were not kidding! Cross winds picked up and I had to use some serious body-english and brace for the gusts to keep it on the road. Further ahead, the path turned directly into the wind! I did my best to keep moving forward. I had to make a few stops to reassess the situation and get my bearings. The howling in my helmet was deafening! Finally the wind tunnel was over and I was on my way to Laguna Beach.

On the way was Lake Elsinore, a quaint small town at the foot of another mountain range. The route took me around the lake and into another National Forest. I saw more bikers on this stretch than anywhere else. With the sun setting, more incredible views were made available. This only increased the urgency to make the coastline before dark. I made it up and over the hills and the ocean stretched out before me. I had made it! Step three complete! I had more planned along the Pacific Coast Highway, but I decided to leave that for another time. The ride back to the hotel had me thinking about the beauty of this world that so few get to experience. I knew I had to come back!

Public fb album here
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote