MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Need some advice...

Well, lately I have had this real bad itch to go back to school and get my degree, but I really do not see it as being possible. I work (with travel) from about 7am to 7pm 5 days a week and some saturdays from 7am to 3pm. My wife stays at home to take care of our 2 kids and since one of them is disabled she has to stay home so her working is not an option. Anybody know of any decent online schools that I won't just walk away with a certificate? Anyone who has been through this before that has some decent advice?

I appreciate all the input in advance.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need so advice!!!!!! conrad83 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-22-2014 08:42 PM
Need advice dj77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-10-2013 12:33 AM
Need Some Advice luckyxdevil1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-09-2012 11:00 AM
Need some advice K. Oliveira Performance and Modifications 7 05-24-2009 10:41 PM
I need some advice and help. Falkryte Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 23 08-05-2008 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
Well, lately I have had this real bad itch to go back to school and get my degree, but I really do not see it as being possible. I work (with travel) from about 7am to 7pm 5 days a week and some saturdays from 7am to 3pm. My wife stays at home to take care of our 2 kids and since one of them is disabled she has to stay home so her working is not an option. Anybody know of any decent online schools that I won't just walk away with a certificate? Anyone who has been through this before that has some decent advice?

I appreciate all the input in advance.
I know a lady that got her BA at FSU and continued her education with Phoenix University online. Seems like it did her well. It was still very time consuming but she didn't have to be at class early in the evening. She was happy with her degree from there. But no personal experience myself.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

University of Phoenix is strictly online, so be sure you want to start and finish your degree plan there or else it's all for nothing. My mom got her AA there and when she tried to talk to UH about a BA they said she would have to start from scratch or go back and finish online w/UofP.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Yeah, I would like for credits to be able to transfer. Is University of Phoenix an actual accredited university? I've always wondered if it is. Some of these internet schools seem too good to be true... kind of like UTI
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Distance learning is the way to go. Many larger universities offer it. The admissions standards are the same as regular students, but it's all geared for profesionals. My company strongly promotes it for it's employees.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
ormand
Deelish!

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of disability does your child have?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of disability does your child have?
It's quite a long story because it's not a normal case of anything... here, if you're interested read here http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2004_3824363
or here
http://www.healthleader.uthouston.ed...gail-0107.html

It's been a long road for us and we've come very far from where we started, but I'm trying to ensure that we keep moving in a forward direction. Let's face it, slinging parts for a Chrysler dealership is not what I'd like to do until I'm in my 60's.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

If you can swing it UST is a great school for people in your exact situation.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

University of Saint Thomas?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Quote:
University of Saint Thomas?
Yeap. Alot of folks in the same boat as you over there. Not cheap but small classes and good teachers.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
What type of a degree/field are you looking at?

UST is an awsome school (beautiful campus also) but very expensive if your budget consious. Its quite a drive from conroe too. I know SHSU has TBA courses and offer night classes so that might be an option also.

My boss went to night school for his undergrad and J.D. while supporting 3 kids and a stay at home wife. It can be done but you have to know exactly what you are going to do and willing to just that. none of that "I dont know what I want, I am undeclared ."
Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I'd highly recomend Sait Leo University. They are used by Boeing and Shell as distance (i.e. Web based) learning for BA and MBA programs. They are a real university based in Florida... also, i read both articles ... very inspirational.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
It's quite a long story because it's not a normal case of anything... here, if you're interested read here http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2004_3824363
or here
http://www.healthleader.uthouston.ed...gail-0107.html

It's been a long road for us and we've come very far from where we started, but I'm trying to ensure that we keep moving in a forward direction. Let's face it, slinging parts for a Chrysler dealership is not what I'd like to do until I'm in my 60's.
I remember seeing that on the Discovery Channel...

I used to work with disabled kids (autistic) which is what prompted me to ask. It sounds like you and your wife are die-hards when it comes to advocating your child's well being...props to you and your wife...you're doing/did the right thing

What field are you looking to study and get into? Maybe someone on MH can offer assistance
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Amanda
Bulletproof

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

You got one of a challenge on your hands! But way to go!- dont know u..but im proud of u!!

nhmccd has a university center with online classes...cheaper online classes..but still get the degree from the bigger universites,,, A&M, Sam, U of H, and TSU etc..
Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

There are two main areas I would like to study and that's english/journalism and I would like to get a bachelors in something like family/child psychology specializing in children with special needs. Something that will help me with my daughter and help other families with their children.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

A BA in Psychology won't be of much use unless you persue a masters, PhD or PsyD. You can also apply for a license to practice therapy on kids after your BA/BS, which pays like $15-$20/hr. I was studying PSYC myself to become a behavioral therapist for autistic kids because (no offense) there's a lot of money in child therapy but I decided not to persue it anymore because it wasn't for me. As a father of a disadvantaged child, you would bring a unique perspective to the client...I would "shadow" with another therapist before you consider going forward with Psychology.

Journalism/Englush is pretty cool, too...not sure what the job market is like for journalism majors. English majors are at an advantage if they persue law school...kinda pricey though.

How about nursing? You can get your feet wet a lot faster than any of the other fields, and you can probably get sweet health insurance that can help with the child's future needs.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Journalism/Englush is pretty cool, too...not sure what the job market is like for journalism majors. English majors are at an advantage if they persue law school...kinda pricey though.

That is what I did. BA in Eng and BS in physics and then went on to get my J.D.
its pricey but well worth it.

You will have a blast if you go the English route. The readings are actually fun. but be prepared to write and write and write. still very worth it though. and lawschool was a blast. It makes high school seem boring in comparison.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post

You will have a blast if you go the English route. The readings are actually fun. but be prepared to write and write and write. still very worth it though. and lawschool was a blast. It makes high school seem boring in comparison.

Any advice for the thread starter?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post

I like to write, I am kind of a natural at it. Law school would be incredible, but not sure if I could ever afford it. The nurse, PT, OT, VI, and behavioral therapist routes are routes I have considered for quite awhile, but now I just need to get to one and move on. I think the nurse route would have the most advantages, but not sure how well I would do with it. If I went that way I would definitely end up in med school someday (which would not be a bad thing, though I'm not sure if I could ever afford that one either). There are so many things to consider. I never thought that I would have such a hard time with it, seeing as how I graduated highschool at 15 I fugred I would have been well done with school by now and on to my career. It's funny how life never works how you plan. I appreciate all the input. Keep it coming if any of you have any more good ideas for schools with distance learning or all online that you or someone you know has experience with.

Advertisement