MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #21
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1998 DR 650
2015 Honda Grom
2008 Pitster Pro 150 SM

1984 Suburban

Tire out of true? Did the bead seat correctly all the way around?

I didn't hear any backfiring but maybe a crackle or two. Did you check the valves, spark plug, and carb before-hand? Sometimes the wrong exhaust can cause odd running issues, too. Compare the mufflers inner diameter to other 125s to be sure you're close enough. A muffler too big will remove necessary backpressure. The quick fix is a db restricter/ silencer/ spark arrestor. The header looks fine.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Awesome Mini Bike Project Motorhead_v8 Motorcycles For Sale 2 09-12-2016 08:19 AM
apollo 125cc mini anatram Motorcycles For Sale 7 10-10-2014 06:55 PM
Apollo 125cc mini 1ACTVDUC Miscellaneous (Non-Moto-Related) 11 01-31-2012 11:13 PM
CMRA mini endurance mcd Taking it to the Track 11 11-23-2009 09:24 AM
Anyone need a rider for the OHR mini endurance? civicious Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 2 05-28-2009 07:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

It had some crazy backfire.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

I've had off throttle back fire from a plugged pilot jet. Also the hesitation in throttle response could be another sign of plugged pilot / initial lean condition in first part of throttle range. Having improvement from moving up the needle suggests was lean condition even after initial pilot circuit part of throttle. You may want to check for air leak (air sneaking in without being accompanied by fuel), orings gaskets between carb and cylinder mounting could be areas to check. I notice you said carbs been cleaned in the build portion of this thread. Were you able to verify the pilot circuit by spraying through the little hole up into carb body abive the pilot jet. Not really knowing the history of all the parts that went into what you have you may want to pick up a carb kit that way you can start with fresh jets, new orings, and a fresh needle (somtimes they can wear from rattling around) and then go from there.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

Well, the old fat man got licensed today and “tried” riding the XR-125.

Morning conditions included thunder, lightening and hail. With a damp track and avoiding puddles the practice pace was very moderate. This was the first time riding the bike and as I slowly gained pace the chain broke.

Well my crewchief (nephew) failed to install the new chain I’d purchased earlier so he got assigned the task. I jumped on my sons bike (Parker) and enjoyed playing with the high HP bikes on a wet track. I must say his little bike is set up well and rails very predictably through the corners.

Once the XR-125 got sorted (thanks Everett for the fine tech inspection and help) I was less than impressed with the bikes cornering performance. Corner after corner the bike tried to throw itself down. Exiting from the apex under moderate power was an absolute disaster. The front kept sliding with moderate throttle. Added frustration was a odd sensation going down the front stretch in full throttle.

I’m thinking to myself, no way can I let my nephew ride this bike tomorrow much less myself entering in the dinosaur race. After counsuting with Everett and a few others in the pits we notice the rear shock was really soft. Then wear marks of the tire hitting the front swing arm was noticed.

My nephew suggested that we go back to the stock swing arm to remedy the tire rubbing.

Well, we ended up taking a few links out of the chain (bike got shorter) and the shock suddenly became stiffer. distance increased between tire and swing arm.

We also notice the rear height seemed to of increased making the bike look more balanced.

Well, the new bike setting were not tested because of the endurance race. That means we will have to evaluate in the morning.

Stay tuned...

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #25
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

looks better with the stock swing arm.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

The good:

1. Successfully completed a couple races.
2. Bike no longer trying to throw itself down on corner exits.
3. Got to race against my kids.

The bad:

1. Hard as trying to start a corner.

2. Won’t hold a tight line. (Found myself dive bombing from the outside into the apex in order to get any type of corner speed.)

3. My kids are faster than I at the moment.

4. Developed some type of oil leak. This was found on the last corner of the track. The rear end started comming around on me, and before I thought to myself that this bike couldn’t possibly make enough power to highside much less spin the rear—— I’m sliding on my back with the bike stopping in the middle of the track. Apparently oil on the rear tire is not good for corner exits.

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #27
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
12' CBR1000RR (Daily)
12' S1000RR (Floss)
09' 1198 Ride Smart (Trackday)
08' GSXR600 (Race)
08' KTM 450 XCRW (Mexico)

Nice upgraded parts. I knew there was a good reason to turn Everett down on the china bike...it had a better life planned!

Popping on decel is leanness...more likely a bad carb boot, o-ring leak, or if it won't idle a clogged idle jet. I'd start at the cylinder and work backwards.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #28
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

And the project has been resurrected after a very lucky and fortunate purchase this weekend.

After the last race Garrett and I was discussing how much effort should we put into a bike with a leaky engine. Neither of us wanted to spit the case on a Chinese engine to replace the faulty sprocket seal.

Last Saturday a very well set up bike was posted on the TMGPS FB group. We knew the previous owner/rider railed on it and had won multiple championships. So after some negotiating, the bike had a 125cc engine, which the kids couldn’t race. However they threw in a 110cc semi auto engine in the deal! Plus the amount of spares that came with the bike made the deal even more sweet! The kids went to work installing the 110 engine into the new bike almost immediately which left us a very good 125cc engine. One stone, two birds!

First order of business was to correct the lazy turn in and the lack of holding a tight inside line. The forks wouldn’t make it through the tree’s so a bit of grinding was done to eliminate a small lip. We will see how much an inch effects the bikes ability to turn.

Next will be the engine swap. Perhaps tonight, the crew has been busy with the other bikes. Parker’s bike needs a new top end and Hayden’s bike needs a new rear shock. Always something.

Test n tune this Sunday if the weather holds!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #29
GABRIEL

Do you have to split the case to replase the countershaft seal? cant you do it from the outside or is there an inner and outer seal?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #30
GABRIEL

Plus that manual clutch might swap over to the other engine.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #31
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

cheap parts bike
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d...576080502.html
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #32
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
Yes, my nephew seen that. We are wondering if it is the same frame as our other SSR.

We have a spare 110 engine that needs put together.

Unfortunately momma wants us to get rid of one of the bikes before adding more.

Advertisement