MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Credit Card Thieves

I HATE them with a passion. After I get home from work I go to the dry cleaners to drop off some clothes. I pay with my Visa and the clerk says "it didn't take, do you want me to run it again?" At the time I wasn't thinking "declined". So I sure. So she runs it again, it doesn't take. She asks if this has ever happened before. I told it happens from time to time when they see abnormal purchasing patterns. So I call them up to get it straightened out. All that normally happens is I verify the purchases and things get reinstated. While I'm going through the process, they mention a purchase at _____ Pro Shop for $1,000 plus. I didn't understand the name of the Pro Shop, so I ask them to repeat the name.....then say "Never mind the name, you said $1,000? That's all I need to know" They confirmed the amount. So I canceled that sucker. They asked if I wanted to check with my wife to see if she made the purchase, told them I don't need to.....she doesn't make purchases like that without my knowledge. So they opened my card back up so I could pay the dry cleaner, then canceled the card...........ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.......I hate thieves. Once I get the new card in, I'll have to go through all of my accounts that are auto billed to the credit card......what a pain in the .
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serial car, credit card thieves caught on video NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 04-08-2015 08:30 AM
Thieves easily stealing credit card info by electronic pick-pocketing NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-17-2014 10:50 PM
Best Credit Card GSXRCoastie Off Topic 7 04-09-2012 12:36 PM
What to do? - Credit card. Solracer Off Topic 33 03-06-2012 09:31 PM
New Credit Card Laws.............. pwned Off Topic 12 02-12-2010 11:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Sorry to hear that. My Mom has had her identity stolen TWICE
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
HMFIC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

Im dealing with fraudulent charges, where my CC info was used to purchase an item from walmart.com.

I contacted walmart, and told them it was fraudulent. They flagged "my account". They called me a week later to verify another purchase, I again informed them it was fraudulent.

AFter the first purchase, I contacted the CC company, and they disputed the charge, but did not want to send me a new CC. After the second attempted charge, they replaced the card.

THe one thing I do with my CC, is to scrape off the CCV #, so I think an online merchant got hacked, or has someone using info from their employer.

Well, Walmart disputes my claims and informed my CC comapny/bank that the account information was provided by ME.

The stuff was overnighted to an address in South Carolina.

So the CC company has placed the charge back on my account, so Im still disputing the charge....
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
yeoljb
YeOlJBibbles

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2003 Vitacci Scooter (50cc)

Member Garage

That is exactly why I have identity theft insurance for me and my wife. Best $12.50 a month I have ever spent.
yeoljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
M@tt
Platinum Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Is it Chase Visa?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have had it happen to me once. My wife has had it done to her. The real problem is that they do not pursue the that do it. I knew for sure that my info was ripped off at Chili's. I used a card there that had not been used in nearly a year. Two days later the card was being used online.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Stolen

I would say that's why I don't use CC, but to be honest, by debit card has been hacked. I've never had trouble getting the money back from the bank, though.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
JetG

They are now getting smarter as in they have scanners and can just walk by you and get all your cars information. They now have a wallet that surrounds your cards and cannot be read by a scanner. Sucks big time and a big hassle but it happens, I have had this happen to me a couple times.

J
JetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

don't you mean credit card thrive?lol
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Sorry to hear that. My Mom has had her identity stolen TWICE
To have my credit card info stolen, I don't consider to be identity theft. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else......really no big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Im dealing with fraudulent charges, where my CC info was used to purchase an item from walmart.com.

I contacted walmart, and told them it was fraudulent. They flagged "my account". They called me a week later to verify another purchase, I again informed them it was fraudulent.

AFter the first purchase, I contacted the CC company, and they disputed the charge, but did not want to send me a new CC. After the second attempted charge, they replaced the card.

THe one thing I do with my CC, is to scrape off the CCV #,
so I think an online merchant got hacked, or has someone using info from their employer.

Well, Walmart disputes my claims and informed my CC comapny/bank that the account information was provided by ME.

The stuff was overnighted to an address in South Carolina.

So the CC company has placed the charge back on my account, so Im still disputing the charge....
I do the same thing......and I think the purchase that was made was done without that code......because I think my number was gotten form a recent online purchase that didn't ask for that code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
Is it Chase Visa?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
I would say that's why I don't use CC, but to be honest, by debit card has been hacked. I've never had trouble getting the money back from the bank, though.
I would say that's why I don't use a debit card.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
don't you mean credit card thrive?lol
lol, aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
HMFIC

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
The real problem is that they do not pursue the that do it.
I arrested a car salesman who had charged $60K on fraudulently opened CC's. He also bought cars under other peoples information. (A TrailBlazer ,Mercedez Benz ). HE also sold other peoples SSN to "customers" so they could obtain credit.

He was charged with numerous counts of CC Abuse and Fraudulent use of Identifying information. He received about 7 yrs (I dont remember the exact sentence.)

I contacted all the CC companies and notified them I had made an arrest and passed along all the information. The Fraud Investigator I knew said they would not go after the guy civilly. He said for ever dollar they spend pursuing fraud, they obtain 1-2 cents.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

just read an article about VISA and how they have some new software they started using right before Christmas that helps spot fraud very quickly.

Twice I have been on week long motorcycle trips where I am buying gas at locations all over the state in the same day and Visa has called me to check if the purchases are legit.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

A while back there were calls pretending to be Chase asking for cc info due to a possible security breech. They were fake as and just an attempt to get your info.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
just read an article about VISA and how they have some new software they started using right before Christmas that helps spot fraud very quickly.

Twice I have been on week long motorcycle trips where I am buying gas at locations all over the state in the same day and Visa has called me to check if the purchases are legit.
Visa has been very good to me over the years. Sure it's a minor inconvenience when you go to pay for something and the card is declined. But I'll deal with that inconvencience if it means catching things quick.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

$5,800

Out of curiosity the wife called the credit card company to see where the charge had come from. It was a company in Milwaukee. That is what alerted them, because wife charged her lunch on the same card just an hour before. Today she found out they tried to purchase something for $5,800 yesterday. But of course, this time it was declined since we canceled that card and are awaiting on a new one......We keep a tight reign on our cc. Every morning when the wife wakes up, she goes online to see all the charges that have been put through.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Waitstaff has easy an opportunity to grab your info and use it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

This just happened to me yesterday... Someone took my info and decided to buy Shoes from DSW Shoes warehouse shipped from Cali. Visa called me, at 2 pm, to verify, and of course I said NO. I had my card at 1 pm when it was used. I have my suspicion where they might have taken it. If I am right I will post it up because it is a popular spot we all like to go to on weekends!!! I will leave it at that!! What sucks more it was my debit card and it dipped into my mortgage payment
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRomeo View Post
This just happened to me yesterday... Someone took my info and decided to buy Shoes from DSW Shoes warehouse shipped from Cali. Visa called me, at 2 pm, to verify, and of course I said NO. I had my card at 1 pm when it was used. I have my suspicion where they might have taken it. If I am right I will post it up because it is a popular spot we all like to go to on weekends!!! I will leave it at that!! What sucks more it was my debit card and it dipped into my mortgage payment
Debit cards scare me so I don't own one. Credit all they way for me, baby!
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Debit cards scare me so I don't own one. Credit all they way for me, baby!
I'm thinking the same thing. I will use my credit card for the weekend and make a payment on the Monday. I hate seeing a big bill at the end of the month!!!
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement