MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #121
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
what do you want them to do in a maintenance? Most PM stuff is just a scam by contractors.
That's what I'm wondering. Is there an actual "maintenance" process, or are they basically just coming by and not really doing anything unless you're complaining about it not getting cold?

He was really pitching how maintenance isn't expensive and only once a year so I should go through him and not DIY. Based on my previous encounters with this guy, I'm thinking I probably DEFINITELY want to DIY.
TrollBrosteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WENT DOWN TO BELIZE LAST WEEK TO CHECK ON MY NEW HOUSE CONSTRUCTON Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-19-2016 06:43 AM
Which HVAC filters do you use? chasee69 Off Topic 9 05-20-2015 06:31 PM
looking for someone with HVAC experience Pachuco Jobs Section 4 08-02-2011 09:31 AM
HVAC guy needed!!! Grinchy Off Topic 8 10-12-2010 10:56 AM
HVAC Help Needed Squeaky Off Topic 37 04-10-2008 02:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #122
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

there is really nothing a contractor can do in an inspection that will make the unit last longer for perform better, that you can not do yourself at home.
The most important things are to change your filters regularly so they do not get plugged up. Two things can happen if they do, one, they can restrict airflow and cause your unit to ice up... several types of damage can be a result of that...two, they can get sucked to one side and allow dirt to pass and get your coil dirty.
the other most important thing is to keep your condenser coil clean... you don't need to use any chemical to do this (if you clean it regularly) you just need to rinse it with water from the hose in the yard, you do not need high pressure...
anything else they do is really just for show...you do not really need a set of guages to check the charge... if you want just check the temperature drop across the evap coil, it that is good, the charge is good. There are a few steps that should be taken every 5 years or so that are more detailed, but if your contractor is not asking for a lot more than what I see advertised, he is not doing that anyway.

remember that inspection fee does not cover any repairs, and I promise you that if the inspection fee is low, he is going to find some repair that he says is absolutely necessary.

Last edited by obed; 07-29-2019 at 03:49 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #123
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
there is really nothing a contractor can do in an inspection that will make the unit last longer for perform better, that you can not do yourself at home.
The most important things are to change your filters regularly so they do not get plugged up. Two things can happen if they do, one, they can restrict airflow and cause your unit to ice up... several types of damage can be a result of that...two, they can get sucked to one side and allow dirt to pass and get your coil dirty.
the other most important thing is to keep your condenser coil clean... you don't need to use any chemical to do this (if you clean it regularly) you just need to rinse it with water from the hose in the yard, you do not need high pressure...
anything else they do is really just for show...you do not really need a set of guages to check the charge... if you want just check the temperature drop across the evap coil, it that is good, the charge is good. There are a few steps that should be taken every 5 years or so that are more detailed, but if your contractor is not asking for a lot more than what I see advertised, he is not doing that anyway.

remember that inspection fee does not cover any repairs, and I promise you that if the inspection fee is low, he is going to find some repair that he says is absolutely necessary.
Thanx Breaux I can definitely handle that myself. I used to buy the spray can of coil spray and then use a pesticide sprayer to wash it off with water. When I first moved in it was real bad so I got a dog brush and brushed it.
How often should I inspect/clean it with just the pesticide sprayer and water in order to not have to resort to more harsh cleaning methods?

Other than that I think I'm going to find the hidden vent thats covered with drywall downstairs, open that up, then hopefully call it a day. My only fear is that they may have damaged/removed some of the duct work leading back to the unit before they covered the vent up.
I have an inspection camera coming in the mail today. Hopefully that combined with my metal sensing stud finder will allow me to be able to find the vent and cut it out with minimal damage to the ceiling.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #124
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

^okay I just realized that I was talking about the evaporator coil inside that I use the sprayer on. I've never really messed with the outside coil. So just spray it down inside and out with a hose every month or two?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #125
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

pretty much...
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #126
Zeus 1
in your mind

The condenser coil is rinsed with low pressure water from the inside of the unit to the outside. Turn off the breakers, don't be the guy that is elbows deep in there and the fan comes on.
Zeus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #127
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus 1 View Post
The condenser coil is rinsed with low pressure water from the inside of the unit to the outside. Turn off the breakers, don't be the guy that is elbows deep in there and the fan comes on.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #128
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

So the AC is running pretty perfect. It gets hot in the area near the single huge return vent by the closet, I assume because the negative pressure in that area is so great that it sucks all the cold air out from the area immediately...which is fine, because no one really hangs out in that area of the house. The other areas are COLD, which is great. I assume because they only get supply air and no return.

TLDR I am worried that if I open up the old return downstairs, it might not get as cold in that area of the house, like I prefer.

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 AM   #129
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

typically your whole house will be at a slightly negative pressure compared to outside unless you have a fresh air intake tied in... few residential systems have that...
one area of the house being colder than another area is all about air balance...
all of your house has return air to some degree...
Old 08-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #130
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

So that contractor I had used was referred by a co-worker. Apparently they live in the same neighborhood.
Co-worker said the AC guy stopped by his house last night about how he only netted 60 dollars on my install job There's no way
Has to just be bad management or something
Old 08-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #131
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

the way you described how he ran the job speaks of a great lack of planning and organization...his style of operation is way to amateurish to be referred to as management.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #132
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
the way you described how he ran the job speaks of a great lack of planning and organization...his style of operation is way to amateurish to be referred to as management.
It did take them like 10-12 hours and I always read it takes about 4 hours
I think the problem may have been that he didn't make sure the unit would fit into the space(both inside and outside) and those issues caused a lot of extra labor.
After some more digging, I guess he was going to give my co-worker a referral fee and then re-negged, because I was "cheap and hard to work with".

It's not my fault he didn't measure the space before he bought the equipment...twice
Old 08-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #133
Zeus 1
in your mind

I hope you don't need to make a warranty claim.
Zeus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement