MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Sponsors > Ridesmart Motorcycle School
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
ryanp77
Quality Inforcer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 R6
A Motard (someday)
A 50 (someday)

Track Day Prep 3/29/09

So back home I have done a few track days and I know the basics of what needs to be done to the bike, remove light and horn fuses, tape up all lights and signals make sure bike is in good riding condition i.e. tires brakes chain and stuff like that,and back home we used the Nascar garages for the day so we had shade and electricity.

So here are the questions I need help answering for my first track day down here. I have read I should be there by 6-630 got that, so my main questions are where do we pit outside, inside, is it pit wherever you want is there a designated place, am I going to need to buy a awning, is there electricity available, can you buy gas there for our bikes or do I need to bring it with me?
Any answers to these questions would be a huge help and if I left anything out any suggestions would be great to..
Thanks Guys and girls.....
ryanp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
11.28.09 Track Day Mafakers Lilrowdy1 Video's and Photo's 45 12-02-2009 07:53 PM
Ride Smart Track Day - 8.29.2009 @MSRC - FOLLOW UP Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 9 08-30-2009 12:48 PM
Katy Track Day - 5/12/09 @ 5:30pm BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 12 05-13-2009 02:24 PM
Ridesmart Track Day - 3.29.09 - MSRH - Angleton, Tx $120.00(ROLL CALL) cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 204 03-30-2009 09:11 AM
First track day, 7/29 silverceptor Taking it to the Track 27 08-04-2005 10:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
your going to msrh correct on the 29th? they have coverd areas for pit with electricity. if your there by 6-6:30 you'l be under cover. or you can choose to bring and awning and pit where your comfortable.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Great to hear you will be joining us.

Regarding bike prep, you pretty much covered it. Tape off all reflective and glass areas (lights, mirrors, etc). Removing mirrors makes more sense so they do not obstruct your view later on.
Making sure the bike is in good mechanical condition is always a good thing. I would go over the bike (if you have not done so in a while) and make sure bolts and screws are not loosening. Air in the tires is always a good idea to check. What you can do there is to inflate the tires to about 36 PSI (THIS IS NOT THE PRESSURE YOU WILL RIDE ON).
So when you get to the track, make sure you bring a tire pressure gauge. Once the bike is staged, before the riders' meeting, adjust the pressure accordingly (there a hundreds of threads on what pressure to run). What I would do is touch bases with the tire support that will be at MSRH. Tell them what tires you are running, and they will give you a ball park number you can start with.
Running on overinflated tires will make you slide in corners, and that is not desirable.

Regarding transportation/arrival/check in:

-your registration confirmation email contains the forms you need to fill out and sign for the track day. Take the time now to do this sine at the track there will be dozens of people who will be trying to do it in a small room. You will be way ahead in the check in process if you bring the forms filled out.
-make sure you have performed all maintenance work to the bike well ahead of the track day. Do not wait until the last minute. Anything that can go wrong, will most likely so be proactive.
- Make sure you have your most essential gear with you, which is helmet, gloves, riding suit, riding boots (at least over ankle), your bike, tire pressure gauge, tools, zip ties in case (trust me this is 's gift to track users some time), extra gas in a gas can (depending on bike and extra 5 gal will be good - prices for gas at the track are higher, so unless you plan on riding race fuel, this will suffice). Bike stands and some other things you deem essential enough for you to take will be fine. Essentially, if you make sure you have the absolutely required stuff, you will be good to go. Shade is good, but if yo arrive early enough, you will choose a spot. There is lots of electricity for fans/warmers, etc.
-once yo arrive at the place (recommend 6-6:30am) choose your spot to pit. Get introduced to the guys around you - they may be the ones helping you if something should happen. Everyone is courteous so please return the favor.
-unload your bike, put it on stand (or stands), park your car away and take a look at the bike. Give it another quick check over (working on a major item on your bike just before a track day is a very bad idea because you are rushed and may skip steps that you may pay for later). So any big things, make sure to do at home at least a couple days before the track day (trust me on that one too).
- You have registered for the track day online. The check in process at the track starts at 7am SHARP. Tech Take your filled out forms and check in, get your stickers and get the bike through tech inspection. You're welcome (for telling you to fill out the forms ahead of time).
-Here is a schedule for the remaining items that you will need to attend before you even start riding:
- 7AM-7:50AM Check in
- 7AM-7:50AM Tech inspection
- 8AM-8:20AM Track Drive
- 8:30AM-8:50AM RIDERS' MEETING - MANDATORY TO ALL PARTICIPANTS
- 9AM - Level 4 and 3 get on the track
- 9AM-9:15AM - Level 2 in class
- 9AM-9:30AM - Level 1 in class
- 9:20AM - Level 2 on track
- 9:40AM - Level 1 on track
All levels will rotate in this fashion throughout the day.

Advice:
Do not skip the track drive if this is a new track to you. This will be the only time you get to see the track up close and see the detail of the surface that you will not be able to get at 80mph or more.

Do not skip the riders' meeting. This is a mandatory meeting to ALL participants, riding or not. This is where any deviations from schedules are discusses, as well as special conditions on the track, and many other important things. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, attend.

Do not skip classes. If you are in level 1, 2 or 3, you are required to show for all classes. This is a school. This is not a SMR.

IMPORTANT:
Do not bring the Johnny Racer attitude with you (speaking of levels 1 and 2). You are not going to be asked to rider as fast as you can. In fact you will be asked to ride at no more than 75% of your capability. Riding over your head will not help you learn anything. It will only make you practice panic management.
Start slow and work your way up in small increments. You paid for the class, so make sure you get every penny's worth. Skipping classes and riding at levels where you are not learning are sure ways to waste your hard earned money.

O yeah, make sure you have a fun day. What is the point of paying to do something all day, and not enjoy it.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

See you at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp77 View Post
So back home I have done a few track days and I know the basics of what needs to be done to the bike, remove light and horn fuses, tape up all lights and signals make sure bike is in good riding condition i.e. tires brakes chain and stuff like that,and back home we used the Nascar garages for the day so we had shade and electricity.

So here are the questions I need help answering for my first track day down here. I have read I should be there by 6-630 got that, so my main questions are where do we pit outside, inside, is it pit wherever you want is there a designated place, am I going to need to buy a awning, is there electricity available, can you buy gas there for our bikes or do I need to bring it with me?
Any answers to these questions would be a huge help and if I left anything out any suggestions would be great to..
Thanks Guys and girls.....
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Kawasaki Z125

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Wow, that was a long read but a helpful one at that. I've done almost a dozen TD's so I've gotten the hang of the way things work but some of that info was helpful as I haven't ridden with Ride Smart yet. I'm gonna plan on attending this day as well. This looks similar to the way I'm used to so I don't think I'm in for too many surprises.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Looks like they have got you covered. See you out there! I'm gettin excited again!!!!
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

This is how bad I am...

I leave my license plate, toll tag, mirrors off all the time, and I'll just put them back on for the rare occasion I ride on the street. its my silent protest to the wife not actually letting me turn it into a trakc only bike. My bike doesn't have a horn. It only goes on for inspection, and the lights stay unplugged.
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Gas at MSRH is 5$/gal for the 90 somthing and 8$ for the 100.

Me thinks you can show up at 7ish and still get a comfy spot. People are prety good about parking the cars away so they can get all the bikes under the shade. Bring some chairs and don;t forget the bike key.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

...I know many are giving different times for showing up at a track day. I will not continue to drum it up, but the bottom line is every rider must be there in time to unload the bike, prep the bike, check in (fill out forms and receive rider package), get geared up and be ready to attend the riders' meeting.
If you can do it all in 15 minutes, great. If not, you may be skipping some sessions. We are serious. No one will miss riders' meeting, nor the classroom sessions (level 1 and 2). So if you arrive and end up getting a spot far away from all the planned events, you will still be required to attend (but missing it will not be an option).

Hope all of you are going to have a blast. Weather is coming in and looks great.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Gas at MSRH is 5$/gal for the 90 somthing and 8$ for the 100.

Me thinks you can show up at 7ish and still get a comfy spot. People are prety good about parking the cars away so they can get all the bikes under the shade. Bring some chairs and don;t forget the bike key.
Ken, are you sure about that? I've always been charged reasonable prices for 93 at MSR-H. The high octane stuff is very expensive, but not the normal gas.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

i paid 7 and change for the 104 at MSRH.. it had been a while since ai ran higher octane fuel and i forgot how good that stuff smells when it burns
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

This may be helpful as well:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ken, are you sure about that? I've always been charged reasonable prices for 93 at MSR-H. The high octane stuff is very expensive, but not the normal gas.
prety sure. This was back in July and Nov last year when I ran with Longhorn and needed the extra gas. I remember it was'nt cheap. I bought an extra fuel jug now but I don't think I'll get into it only running 20 min sessions. So I'll have some extra gas and probably so will others. Price...negotiable.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Dont neglect plenty of water, real water.

Another good option is fruits: apples, oranges and grapes for sugar and water.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

...yup, would actually be good to start putting that stuff into you few days ahead of the event. Bad nutrition and poor hydration will make you more tired sooner.
See you all there.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
Flyboy
Shinko Boy

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 gixxxer 6

this is gonna be my first track day with ride smart cant wait to meet everyone and see how it goes. myself and bsober will be the first ones there in the morning on a matching pair of white and silver gixxers
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote