MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1995 Yamaha FJ1100
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Grabbing your front brake...

I've been following TheKilaCam and he reminds me of an OG MH meet that never stops...

Anyways, his latest vid shows him dumping it at the track from fingering the front brake

How many of you have had this happen, or almost happen? If you almost took a dump, but recovered, what did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04-05 CBR1000 front brake master with brake calipers cuong-nutz Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 5 04-17-2018 05:28 PM
Brake Bleeding Problem After Replacing Front Hydraulic Brake Sensor 2005 ZX6R xsv How To's and Q & A's 15 07-26-2017 11:25 PM
Needs more front brake NewsBot Racing News 0 02-24-2014 08:20 AM
wtb:f4i front brake rotor and front wheel fender Houston'sK5 Want To Buy or Trade 8 11-26-2008 08:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

I've been to MSRH MANY times . . . . . . to watch. Unfortunately, never rode it. The plan was to race with my boys, but then they got girlfriends.
HOWEVER - While teaching them to ride I always emphasized the proper use of front AND rear breaking. I was surprised to learn how many people ONLY use the front.

Don't know if this had anything to do with it. I think I have a few good vids to catch up on.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

First I think that the dark windshield is keeping the rider to have a good view of what's ahead and how close it really is from the front wheel.
If you grab the brakes in full lean in mid turn, the chances for that to happen is big... real big and costly and you saw.
But if happened that you are able to save it, and stayed on the track and you can still fight for the position, you just keep on going... IMO luck is part of racing... but if you are just doing a track day, than go back to the pits and take a break...
I had scared moments that I got way with and just called the day at that point
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 SV650 (race)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
99 YZ250
14 MSX125

If your bike is properly set up, you should be able to lift the rear off the ground before you tip in. Trail braking is great for racing, but not necessary for track days. I've been racing for years, and still don't have the skill set to use the rear brake.
CMRA#59
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
If your bike is properly set up, you should be able to lift the rear off the ground before you tip in. Trail braking is great for racing, but not necessary for track days. I've been racing for years, and still don't have the skill set to use the rear brake.
I've been racing for years too and on many different bikes . . . . .

...wait, no. That's a lie.....

I'm going to guess there's a quite a lot of work/practice involved in getting your foot in the right place depending on a left or right corner and a chicane has got to be . I can see using on the front for track days.

What's a track day cost now days? I've only heard that the bad part is that COVID sticks to the tires and faring nose like glue. Gotta scrub the 773H out of it to get that off....
Old 08-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #6
testiesalmon

I play around with the rear brake on my supermoto. Try to use it to pull the bike around corners faster. Front brake until just before mid-corner and then rear from mid to exit. For what it's worth, it doesn't make me any faster. I'd say slower actually, as it costs too much mental power.

But when riding on wet roads (on the street), I use it excessively. You get a lot of feel on the rear before it locks even on wet roads, but not the front. And it's not a big deal if you lock the rear unless turned in.
testiesalmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement