MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #41
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1995 Yamaha FJ1100
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikatri View Post
Thanks for the read! Reminded me Iíve been putting off riding due to hot weather. Going to head over to the gear section to read up on warm weather riding gear. LoL.
Check out DanDan TheFireman on YouTube. He has great hot weather gear recommendations. He's in Arizona, so he knows a little about heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
squid anh_cloud9 Introduction Forum 6 10-05-2018 02:25 AM
Squid 02yamr6 Introduction Forum 21 06-03-2008 12:48 PM
SQUID Hooligan_RR General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 06-02-2008 09:35 PM
Look at this squid.#2 hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-23-2007 09:56 AM
squid row fly_737 Off Topic 4 03-17-2007 06:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #42
Cello

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikatri View Post
Thanks for the read! Reminded me Iíve been putting off riding due to hot weather. Going to head over to the gear section to read up on warm weather riding gear. LoL.
I did a four hour trip to central Texas back in July when it was 100+. Of course I was stupid enough to leave at 1500 hours on the way there and 1300 on the way back.

Iíd say that hydrating, layering, and the proper underwear/gear is the key. You actually want to limit the amount of air blowing over you at temps above 93, because thats when air goes from cooling your body to warming it. Below that itís the cooling effect of evaporation PLUS the cooling effect of air that is lower in temperature than your skin temperature. Above that, itís evaporation VS. the air warming your skin, the sunís radiation warming skin and gear, and your own internal metabolism generating heat. In essence, you only want air flow only when itís going to evaporate sweat.

Use your leather or textile jacket, zipping closed wrists and air vents. Get a proper sweat wicking long sleeve shirt. I like the Heat-Out gear, but there are plenty of brands. Soak that sucker in cold water to start, because itíll help hold off the buildup of heat. Once you start getting warm, unzip your wrists and use them like Ram air scoops. The air will evaporate the water/sweat in the arms of the shirt, and should feel cold when it gets to your chest area.

Properly done, you can actually become cold. Use the same sweat wicking/evaporative gear for your head. They make balaclavas specifically to go under your helmet.

If youíre riding for long periods in hot weather, make sure youve drunk water enough the night before for your to be light yellow or clear. Then stop every half hour and drink enough for the conditions. The Iron magazine had a nice article about this topic, with a table listing how much water the average person will lose at different temps. Water is the big important thing here, but gatorade type drink every two hours isnít a bad idea. Snack on those pre-packaged cheese/peanut butter crackers if you donít want a sports drink. That will keep the electrolytes (salts/ions) at decent levels in your body.

Last, just know your limits. Set a task in your head, like reciting a long quote you like, or calling someone every hour to check in. Heat exhaustion or heat stroke is keyed in on by several symptoms, but mental status is the biggest, easiest factor (for others) to recognize that something has gone wrong. If the person youre calling says you sound strange, or if whatever mental task you set yourself canít be done, it may be a very good idea to stop somewhere with AC and water. Just like the cold, riding past your limit doesnít end well.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #43
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

When I did track days we would tell each other, "If you don't have to pee, right now, you're not drinking enough".
We did a 2 day track day at Barber several years ago. It was 107 in our pit, in the shade. I was drinking a quart of Gatorade between each session and still didn't have to pee.

But those were the BEST track days I ever rode! What an awesome place!
We had our street bikes with us and after the weekend went to the "tail of the dragon" for 5 more days. What a great trip!
We only rode the "dragon" twice. There are much better roads all around there.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #44
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

The university I attend is literally right across the highway, I always commute with only a helmet and gloves as protective gear when its warm outside. I do the same if I'm running quick errands close to home. sometimes I'm in shorts but never flip flops, I feel uncomfortable and squidly enough in shorts.

Otherwise, I'm ATGATT on actual rides or going across town. Full leathers, boots, gauntlets, and full-face helmet
Old 09-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #45
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1995 Yamaha FJ1100
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
The university I attend is literally right across the highway, I always commute with only a helmet and gloves as protective gear when its warm outside. I do the same if I'm running quick errands close to home. sometimes I'm in shorts but never flip flops, I feel uncomfortable and squidly enough in shorts.

Otherwise, I'm ATGATT on actual rides or going across town. Full leathers, boots, gauntlets, and full-face helmet

I dress for the occasion, just like you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement