MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Neotrinity1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Hey guys so I had a question, about two weeks ago I submitted the application for doing the cornering for Oct 20th and haven't heard anything back, so I was just curious if I can show up on Oct 20th and just watch, talk to people and learn without riding? They probably didn't feel comfortable letting me do cornering since I'm a beginner lol but you've gotta start somewhere! Should I email them again? Thank you so much!
Also ducdodgers sorry I didn't see your message about riding that weekend until now!
Meg
Neotrinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
New guy questions jcrabb13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-25-2011 04:14 AM
VIN Questions.. Vandals How To's and Q & A's 13 05-09-2008 03:17 AM
50 Questions vertigo Stunters Lounge 10 01-21-2008 03:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

I would email again or call Dave directly.

http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=contact

, just going and hanging out will at least give you an idea how things work.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotrinity1 View Post
Hey guys so I had a question, about two weeks ago I submitted the application for doing the cornering for Oct 20th and haven't heard anything back, so I was just curious if I can show up on Oct 20th and just watch, talk to people and learn without riding? They probably didn't feel comfortable letting me do cornering since I'm a beginner lol but you've gotta start somewhere! Should I email them again? Thank you so much!
Also ducdodgers sorry I didn't see your message about riding that weekend until now!
Meg
Definitely show up to watch, talk to people, see how it all goes. I believe you'll both enjoy and learn. Most of us out there are very excited to talk about our experiences riding at the track, so I'm sure you can get a lot out of it.

You can also check out the Beyond the Track videos to get tons of details about track days:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...k8lI4SUuW1Wi6s
classala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

You are going to need more seat time before you go out to the track. Especialy if you are not comfortable going only a couple of blocks.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #25
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Make sure you got good insurance... I've seeing people crash hard on round-robin

Here are some good tips from a racer/coach rider friend of mine

To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #26
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
02 YW50AP

I read this, and nothing else....

8 How safe is it? I'm nervous, is it something I should wait and get better?

No. You will get better with track time.

If you would like to corner work. CMRA always needs help. cmraracing.com

Good Luck
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

When I was instructing there were people that were not comfortable enough to be on the track and lacked the skills needed to ride safely on the track. But I know there are riders that also do well.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Yeah I definitely know Iím not ready yet so Iíll ptobably just drive out there in my car and hang out and watch everything and talk to people! How often do they have trackdays?!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

You are at the end of the season right now, so thereís only 2 track days and one CMRA race weekend left. Starting in February, there will be 1 race weekend per month and 1 to 2 RideSmart weekends per month.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #30
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotrinity1 View Post
Meg
No problem.. I'm available most weekends other than the first saturday of the month I usually work.. So just say when and we can go..
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #31
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
KTM SuperAdventure
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250R
Yamaha Zuma

Go to watch both the trackdays and the CMRA racing event on Friday thru Sunday Oct 19 - 21st. CMRA always needs cornerworkers and will pay in cash. They will team you up with someone with experience.
Get up early Sunday morning (be home by 10!), plan a route out of the city and ride ride ride. You will gain comfort and then you can work on improving.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
Neotrinity1

Bike(s):
2017 black Yamaha R3

Yeah I'm definitely going to go watch on Oct 20th! Hopefully they wont mind that!!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #33
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

All track days are free to watch with ridesmart and they welcome spectators.. not 100% sure about other types of track days although I'm betting they are pretty much the same..
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #34
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

people will be glad to have you there. Watch from the stands area, but also go up and get a look at the bikes and talk to the riders....track days are an all out blast...nothing on a bike is safe, but IMO I always felt safer on the track than I did on the street...I am old now with some health issue and do not really ride anymore...still have 7 or so bikes... but the last few years I rode, I rarely road on the street and made every track day in the area and few out of town...really enjoyed TMGP too.. the last 2 years that was my favorite.
I would suggest getting on the track sooner rather than later... it will help you develop your skill and make you safer when you are on the street. I would agree with the others that you need to be comfortable on your bike first, but you do not need to be an expert...your first few track days in level one, not much speed is required... you will spend the morning in what they call round robin... meaning you are in a line following other bikes and the whole line is following an instructor... that helps you get familiar with the track, where to use your brakes, where to start your turns...etc...
you ususally do not ride alone until almost lunch or after lunch and even then there are instructors on the track available and if you are having issue you can talk to one of them and manage a bit more follow the leader time with them.. if you are having too much trouble and they think you are a danger to yourself or others, you will not have to look for them, they will find you...track day is not a race situation...you are not competing with anyone...passing when allowed in level one is regulated to where and how the pass is made...you might not get a track day in riding this year, but be ready when the season starts next year.