MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
blaknwite

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
KTM SuperAdventure
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250R
Yamaha Zuma

Inaugural CMRA Track Experience at MotorSport Ranch 7/27/18

I encourage every track day rider to take a look at this. You don't need to be "fast" to race. I used racing to get faster (I'm certainly not fast and have been a Novice for 100 years!). Many Level 2 trackday riders are competing and having fun. This is a new addition to the CMRA schedule and will be at every event going forward. Don't be afraid to race, you'll love it.

Inaugural CMRA Track Experience at MotorSport Ranch 7/27/18

Wanna get some track time in and meet the best riders in Texas?

Would you like being at a live Motorcycle racing event and getting to ride the same course as the racers?

How about getting a chance to race your own motorcycle?

Try the Inaugural CMRA Track Experience!

The first event for this new offering from the Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association will be held Friday, July 27 2018 at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, Texas.

Cost is $150 for a full day of riding in the Track Experience group, and participants receive a basic CMRA membership with their entry (no voting rights), and will have the opportunity to do a mock race at the end of the day!
If you get bit by the racing bug, the track time will count towards a CMRA license school!

Spaces are limited, so be sure to sign up to guarantee your spot. The first 25 people to sign up get a special Track Experience event T-shirt!

Pre-entry sign up is available until midnight Thursday July 19, 2018. If you pre-enter, gate fee is included!

Pre-entry form is available here:http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment...3&d=1531853000

If you can't pre-enter, don't worry. Sign up is also available at the track on Friday morning July 27 starting at 6:30 am.

Required machine preparation: Tape up lights/mirrors, be sure your oil drain plugs are tight (RTV around the bolt is recommended), and good tires.Required gear: A full leather or 2 piece zipped together suit, boots, gloves, and full face helmet with D-ring fastener (no quick clip helmet straps allowed)

Got questions? Email or call the CMRA office at admin@cmraracing.com, 817-570-9779.

Share this with your friends! Have them come ride with us! Looking forward to seeing everyone at the track!
blaknwite is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding with Deano @ Motorsport Ranch Cresson 3.1 Deano3090 Video's and Photo's 1 05-31-2009 06:35 PM
LSTD: Monday, May. 1st @ The Motorsport Ranch - The BIG Track!!! jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 3 04-11-2006 07:27 PM
LSTD Friday, Mar. 24 @ Motorsport Ranch w/ the new track!!! jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 3 02-21-2006 11:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Leave Hard

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
08 GSX-R600

Looks fun.

Your first link is busted. I'm getting "[an error occurred while processing this directive]".
Leave Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Maybe if they do them in Houston.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Good to know,

looks like from the detailed Friday schedule on cmra website that we would get 6 sessions 20mins dedicated to this track expirence group.

http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment...1&d=1531777537

So i guess works a bit like before when lone star had track days on Fridays before cmra events.

Just curious, any ideas if there would be any gate fee?
Also somewhat surprised to read the lesser requirements, anywhere where written,
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
KTM SuperAdventure
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250R
Yamaha Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Good to know,

looks like from the detailed Friday schedule on cmra website that we would get 6 sessions 20mins dedicated to this track expirence group.

http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment...1&d=1531777537

So i guess works a bit like before when lone star had track days on Fridays before cmra events.

Just curious, any ideas if there would be any gate fee?
Also somewhat surprised to read the lesser requirements, anywhere where written,
Good question on the gate fee, I'll follow up.
Very interesting on the requirements but I'm guessing that since this is likely not going to be at "race pace" the risk is not too high. Probably unrealistic to expect folks to race prep their bikes until the race bug truly bites.
Attracting new members is very important to the club and lowering any barriers to entry is a big part of that.
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
KTM SuperAdventure
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250R
Yamaha Zuma

FROM THE CMRA MESSAGE BOARD....

Shared, and have 2 signing up so far. They had a couple questions like, does mock race count towards license school credit? Where/when can exam be taken (Ridesmart with Randy or Danny's class)? Is there a gate fee? Is this event going to be available at all future CMRA events or just Cresson?

Hey Jason thanks for spreading the word.. yes the on track and mock race will count.. no it cant be done with ridesmart, cmra class only...gate fee is included in their cost(pay full weekend at gate and when they leave on Friday evening get the band cut off wrist and a refund, BAND MUST BE CUT OFF BY STAFF AT THE GATE NO EXCEPTIONS).. yes it will be offered at all remaining events AND we will have a Saturday class on some events but not this one. .. Now keep in mind when they go thru the class its NOT JUST THE EXAM they have to listen to me for the whole class. lol
They must attend a riders meeting with me after the main riders meeting and I will inspect bikes and helmets , must bring their receipt showing they signed up and I will give them a sticker,DO NOT GO THRU REGULAR RACE TECH... let me know if we have any more questions .
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900ish SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450ishR motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 Honda VFR800
2014 Yamaha XT250

This is great. I hope it attracts a large group of new racers.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
diggler

212 Decals will provide a free set of helmet numbers to any new novices completing their requirements through this new CMRA racing program. (CMRA Track Experience).

Once a new rider/racer has been through the licensing school and solidified their sprint number, email us with that information and we will generate the decals.

BTW...we will be validating all requirements with CMRA so if your stuff is not in order with the CMRA, you will need to get it in order first.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
ConcordEagle

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaknwite View Post
FROM THE CMRA MESSAGE BOARD....

Shared, and have 2 signing up so far. They had a couple questions like, does mock race count towards license school credit? Where/when can exam be taken (Ridesmart with Randy or Danny's class)? Is there a gate fee? Is this event going to be available at all future CMRA events or just Cresson?

Hey Jason thanks for spreading the word.. yes the on track and mock race will count.. no it cant be done with ridesmart, cmra class only...gate fee is included in their cost(pay full weekend at gate and when they leave on Friday evening get the band cut off wrist and a refund, BAND MUST BE CUT OFF BY STAFF AT THE GATE NO EXCEPTIONS).. yes it will be offered at all remaining events AND we will have a Saturday class on some events but not this one. .. Now keep in mind when they go thru the class its NOT JUST THE EXAM they have to listen to me for the whole class. lol
They must attend a riders meeting with me after the main riders meeting and I will inspect bikes and helmets , must bring their receipt showing they signed up and I will give them a sticker,DO NOT GO THRU REGULAR RACE TECH... let me know if we have any more questions .

Funny to see myself quoted from another board (I'm Jason)

For those of you on the fence about racing, I want to share with you my experience. I am an intermediate L2 trackday rider, 47 years young, have done probably 30 trackdays in the past 4 years having never ridden motorcycles before in my life. I took the CMRA class earlier this year and did my first Sprint on an R3 in June.

Some misconceptions I had about racing:
  • You have to be a few seconds off track record to race. LOL, false! You do not have to be a L3 or advanced rider to have fun and enjoy racing! If I can do it, any L2 or even L1.5 can do it.
  • It's not safe. In my own personal opinion, it's no safer or riskier than a trackday. You may get passed closer than ever before, but same safety protocols are followed as a Ridesmart trackday, even more so as the equipment inspection bar is set higher.
  • It's too expensive. Depending on how many races you sign up for, it costs about the same as a trackday, it can even be cheaper, specially if you do the trackday experience being promoted to try it out. To be clear, I'm not talking about expert racers gunning for the #1 plate who may spend thousands on upgrades and use fresh tires every race--I'm years away from that level. I've done 9 trackdays and 2 sprints and still on the same set of 110/150 Dunlop Q3's, they'll probably last me all season.

Folks, there is nothing like the feeling of gridding up with 20+ bikes, revving your engine, and watching the lights go out. You'll feel the adrenaline rush and see another side of track riding you didn't know existed.

Here is a video of my first Sprint race, from pit out, sighting lap, to checkered flag, back to pits, the whole enchirito.

ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
212 Decals will provide a free set of helmet numbers to any new novices completing their requirements through this new CMRA racing program. (CMRA Track Experience).

Once a new rider/racer has been through the licensing school and solidified their sprint number, email us with that information and we will generate the decals.

BTW...we will be validating all requirements with CMRA so if your stuff is not in order with the CMRA, you will need to get it in order first.
Oh . Where have you been!?!?!!??!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Oh . Where have you been!?!?!!??!
LOL, life man, life.
Glad to see folks still on here
Hope you are well
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

So this would excuse the corner working obligations? Just curious and haven't seen that mentioned.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
02 YW50AP

In my opinion, racing is waaaay safer than a track day. First timers in level 2 in the same class as a lightweight racer makes for interesting sessions. Most racers will hit their marks each and every lap, so there is no need to worry about someone going in over their head.

The other good thing about racing is that 9 times out of 10, you will have someone to race. Take Jason's race for example. Fast guy (MotoAmerica level) went 1:43 on an R3. Slow guy went 2:09. So, if you are in between those 2 numbers, there will be someone to race with.

If you like the track day buzz, think Mexican dirt weed. Grid up and expect hydro. I guarantee you will have a perma-grin for at least 3 to 4 days after.

CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
So this would excuse the corner working obligations? Just curious and haven't seen that mentioned.
No, this is just to try it out. You will still need to take the class and pass the written exam to get your provisional license, then you need to corner work twice within a year and complete two race weekends crash-free to get your Novice license. For an official race (after you have your prov-nov license) you will also need your bike to be fully safety wired.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 525sx tard
Z125 Pro
TTR125 Mini Tard
KTM 300sx

Lone star track days had a non race group on the Friday practice days that it ran so I see this as just getting back to the way it was before, just with 4 groups instead of 3 and less overall track time. Sounds reasonable and a good way to get some extra revenue for the club.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796
Yamaha R3
BMW S1000RR

Some more info from CMRA:

CMRA Track Experience Information:

1. Track Experience (available via pre-registration or at-track) - $150
Full day on-track includes six 20-minute track sessions

2. Mock Race (registration at-track only) - $35 (includes a one-weekend CMRA membership)

3. Gate Fee (good for all weekend) - $20
Refunded at gate if leaving Friday before 10:00 p.m. Wristband must be on wrist and removed by gate staff to receive refund.

Both the Track Experience track time and the Mock Race count toward the CMRA License School. To complete the License School process and apply for a CMRA Race License, bring receipts from your Track Experience and the one-weekend CMRA membership to a future CMRA License School. You will only need to complete the classroom and written portion of the school. There is no charge for the school and the previously paid $35 will be credited toward the cost of the CMRA Race License.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #17
trunxgp1224

Glad to see they got rid of the Grom practice every hour, completely needless track time wasted.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post: