MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
harleywood
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14

Experience: 10+ years











JCI Westhiemer

It's been a few years since I've owned my 2001 R1. I sold it in 2007 to buy a Harley because my wife showed an interest in riding . There used to be meets every Friday and Saturday night at the James Coney Island on Westhiemer and Behrens. We used to ride in groups from there to Holmes road and also to Westpark for some friendly competition. We'd also run Memorial and Allen Parkway and the entire beltway in the wee hours of the morning at insane speeds blowing through the toll booths with HPD choppers overhead. Fun fun fun! Are those meets at JCI still happening? This is the only pic I have on my phone of my old YZF. It was brand new in the pic. I added a Yoshimura exhaust, fender eliminater with integrated turn signals in brake lights, cats eye front blinkers, and a Zero Gravity Chrome windscreen. I sure miss that bike. The most fun I ever had riding was on that bike. I'm glad I waited until my mid thirties to buy a sport bike. I'd probably be dead if I'd of bought it at a younger age. 167mph was all the huevos I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3593.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	103280  
harleywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interview tomorrow blt8 - westhiemer Ulric Off Topic 1 10-05-2009 11:43 AM
Bike down on westhiemer Da9tegra General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 05-15-2009 08:32 AM
westhiemer saturday night. klassik Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-05-2008 03:37 PM
5-14-08 m'n'g @ chachos westhiemer lbjasonc Events, Meets and Rides 77 05-16-2008 11:55 AM
westhiemer alvin manvel riders and anyone around klassik Events, Meets and Rides 63 05-04-2008 09:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Waller
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,418

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom






Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywood View Post
It's been a few years since I've owned my 2001 R1. I sold it in 2007 to buy a Harley because my wife showed an interest in riding . There used to be meets every Friday and Saturday night at the James Coney Island on Westhiemer and Behrens. We used to ride in groups from there to Holmes road and also to Westpark for some friendly competition. We'd also run Memorial and Allen Parkway and the entire beltway in the wee hours of the morning at insane speeds blowing through the toll booths with HPD choppers overhead. Fun fun fun! Are those meets at JCI still happening? This is the only pic I have on my phone of my old YZF. It was brand new in the pic. I added a Yoshimura exhaust, fender eliminater with integrated turn signals in brake lights, cats eye front blinkers, and a Zero Gravity Chrome windscreen. I sure miss that bike. The most fun I ever had riding was on that bike. I'm glad I waited until my mid thirties to buy a sport bike. I'd probably be dead if I'd of bought it at a younger age. 167mph was all the huevos I had.

Ahhhh the good ol days. Spent many a night at JCI back in the late 90s early 2000s. My last trip there I had been absent for some time because marriage and all. Wife went out for a “girls night”, I hopped on the bike and headed to JCI. Hit westheimer and stopped at a light. 3-4 guys on sport bikes came up to me and said “you heading to jci?” “Ya”. “Don’t go, they got busted last night, we are headed to Kmart”. “Ok”. We took off and pulled into Kmart. It wasn’t my crowd, so I left and went back to JCI that was basically empty. Left there and went to rankin for a bit and headed home.

Woke up the next morning and watched the news that was reporting that huge bust at Kmart on westheimer. woooo avoided a big clusterfuck there.
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Waller
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,418

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom






https://www.chron.com/news/article/A...ns-2107668.php
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
harleywood
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14

Experience: 10+ years











Oh yeah, wow I completely forgot about that bust. I wasn't anywhere in the vicinity that night though thanks to being a shift worker and working that night. Were you at JCI the night two guys decided to see who could ride a wheelie the farthest? We all congregated at the curb to watch. The first guy made it though the intersection in front of JCI headed east on one wheel just fine and the second guy about 200 yards behind had a black Taurus pull out of the parking lot next door in front of him. He just got the front wheel back down and slammed into the rear quarter of the Taurus at about 65mph. You could hear a pin drop after the crash and I remember hearing his body cut the wind as he flew off his bike and cartwheeled past the crowd about 150 feet. The force of the crash turned the Taurus 180 degrees and the bike burst into flames. He had leathers and a helmet on. He was conscious and took his helmet off and made a phone call before the ambulance showed up. Don't know what happened to him after that night. I didn't know either of them. I felt sick to my stomach the rest of the night and rode home to Pasadena no faster than 45mph. Horrible night.
harleywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.
 
Gixxerguy86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sugar Land and San Antonio
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 672

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes






Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywood View Post
It's been a few years since I've owned my 2001 R1. I sold it in 2007 to buy a Harley because my wife showed an interest in riding . There used to be meets every Friday and Saturday night at the James Coney Island on Westhiemer and Behrens. We used to ride in groups from there to Holmes road and also to Westpark for some friendly competition. We'd also run Memorial and Allen Parkway and the entire beltway in the wee hours of the morning at insane speeds blowing through the toll booths with HPD choppers overhead. Fun fun fun! Are those meets at JCI still happening? This is the only pic I have on my phone of my old YZF. It was brand new in the pic. I added a Yoshimura exhaust, fender eliminater with integrated turn signals in brake lights, cats eye front blinkers, and a Zero Gravity Chrome windscreen. I sure miss that bike. The most fun I ever had riding was on that bike. I'm glad I waited until my mid thirties to buy a sport bike. I'd probably be dead if I'd of bought it at a younger age. 167mph was all the huevos I had.
nope not anymore, squid meets are now at Bombshells south on wednesdays I think

on a side note, I'd love to own a 1st-gen R1. even better if I can find one in red and white
__________________
G86

Last edited by Gixxerguy86; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Gixxerguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Rttoys
CMRA 982
 
Rttoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Waller
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,418

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom






Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywood View Post
Oh yeah, wow I completely forgot about that bust. I wasn't anywhere in the vicinity that night though thanks to being a shift worker and working that night. Were you at JCI the night two guys decided to see who could ride a wheelie the farthest? We all congregated at the curb to watch. The first guy made it though the intersection in front of JCI headed east on one wheel just fine and the second guy about 200 yards behind had a black Taurus pull out of the parking lot next door in front of him. He just got the front wheel back down and slammed into the rear quarter of the Taurus at about 65mph. You could hear a pin drop after the crash and I remember hearing his body cut the wind as he flew off his bike and cartwheeled past the crowd about 150 feet. The force of the crash turned the Taurus 180 degrees and the bike burst into flames. He had leathers and a helmet on. He was conscious and took his helmet off and made a phone call before the ambulance showed up. Don't know what happened to him after that night. I didn't know either of them. I felt sick to my stomach the rest of the night and rode home to Pasadena no faster than 45mph. Horrible night.
Woof. I missed that one. that would have messed me up a bit.

Leaving there once, I was behind some guys riding wheelies and one dude had to set it down quickly to avoid a car that pulled out in front of him. That made me take the first available right and go home.
__________________
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
messiah
Senior Member
 
messiah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pasadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 939

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
02 954rr









Those were the good days now all people wanna do is post pics of them wearing helmets
messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
harleywood
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14

Experience: 10+ years











Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
nope not anymore, squid meets are now at Bombshells south on wednesdays I think

on a side note, I'd love to own a 1st-gen R1. even better if I can find one in red and white
My 2001 was the best bike I ever owned, carburetor and all. The contours of the fairing and the graphics were beautiful and it was surprisingly comfortable. The new ones look to boxy and square in my opinion. I've been checking cycle trader and other resources just to see if any are still floating around and haven't seen any. Best of luck to you finding one. I couldn't buy one anyway. My riding days are over. After 33 years of riding and never being without a bike I just sold my last motorcycle due to a bad back and not being able to ride anymore. I'm sure going to miss the open road and culture.
harleywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
harleywood
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14

Experience: 10+ years











Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
Those were the good days now all people wanna do is post pics of them wearing helmets
I always wore at a minimum a full face helmet and leather jacket when I had my R1. Never wore a helmet on cruisers I owned before that and stopped wearing them again when I bought my first Harley after that. I feel the same way about seat belts. If the operator wants to die who am I to say otherwise. Lol
harleywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
messiah
Senior Member
 
messiah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pasadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 939

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
02 954rr









Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywood View Post
I always wore at a minimum a full face helmet and leather jacket when I had my R1. Never wore a helmet on cruisers I owned before that and stopped wearing them again when I bought my first Harley after that. I feel the same way about seat belts. If the operator wants to die who am I to say otherwise. Lol
Oh I’m glad I know to wear helmets this happened in November
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B17B03C9-0CC5-4DC4-BC1A-88A10696C2FA.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	103286  
messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy